Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What is the most "advanced" game machine/platform a classic Amiga can emulate?  (Read 2665 times)

Description:

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
Re: What is the most "advanced" game machine/platform a classic Amiga can emulate?
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 23, 2010, 12:54:58 AM »
Quote from: AmigaMance;580713
This is about classic Amigas with or without a PPC, so please be realistic.

IMHO, a superb question. Have we got any good 3DO or Saturn emulations?
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline delshay

• Show only replies by delshay
i would think a Cyberstorm MkIII or a Cyberstorm PPC should be a starting point on performance/emulation on classic amigas.

with some users modifying their cards upto 400Mhz, perhaps someone can try what performance gains there are with this new speed for classic.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 06:57:07 AM by delshay »
-------------
power is nothing without control

Offline zipper

MacOS 9 via iFusion, CSPPC233, was pretty fast but development stopped. No networking and slow drive access etc. Wasted money but sort of fun yet.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
Quote from: Jeek Elemental;580735
interesting question but I think you have to narrow it down some, because of the different ways of emulation;  

mame-type: complete disconnect from hardware, can run anything on anything but costly in resources. (I remember running a 4MHz z80 game on A1200 28MHz at around 1-2 fps)  

Considering I could run a Spectrum emulator at full speed on a 14MHz A1200, I would hazard that the MAME issue is being totally disconnected via abstraction layers from the underlying hardware, being written in C, and also probably emulating some complex graphics chippery on top of that.

Offline Britelite

• Show only replies by Britelite
    • http://www.dekadence64.org
Quote from: Hattig;580784
Considering I could run a Spectrum emulator at full speed on a 14MHz A1200.

I'd say it's not a very exact emulator in that case ;)

Offline Vulture

• Show only replies by Vulture
Quote from: Britelite;580785
I'd say it's not a very exact emulator in that case ;)

I'd assume he means ZXAM which, while not totally accurate, it was about 90-95% compatible to 48k software and it emulated the AY sound chip as well.

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
The most perfect emulator on the amiga is Amimastergear: perfect emulation of SEGA Master System and Game Gear even on a vanilla A1200. Glory to its author, who even released a free key for it.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline Britelite

• Show only replies by Britelite
    • http://www.dekadence64.org
Quote from: Vulture;580791
I'd assume he means ZXAM which, while not totally accurate, it was about 90-95% compatible to 48k software and it emulated the AY sound chip as well.

Compatible as in 'it loads and runs' or 'it actually looks and sounds like it's supposed to'? :) If it's the former then I can believe the 90-95%, but if it's the latter then not.

EDIT: a small clarification: 'it actually looks and sounds like it's supposed to while running at full speed and 50fps on an 14MHz A1200' :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:24:22 PM by Britelite »

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Quote from: Karlos;580736
If that's your configuration, and you don't already have one, you really ought should consider getting an RTG solution for it...

Been trying to get hold of a gfx board for years now, but had no luck so far even on ebay... :(