Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wings  (Read 976 times)

Description:

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
Wings
« on: August 16, 2005, 09:08:33 PM »
I recently bought a used Cinemaware game "Wings" on eBay and have found that the game will not play from the floppy disks, nor will it install to the hard drive.  The disks appear to be missing some files.  Can someone with a working original please check this list of files on each disk and tell me what files I am missing?  If you would be kind enough to email just those files to me, or tell me where I might be able to get them, I would greatly appreciate it.  The game starts to load from floppy disks, but after loading the files it needs from "Reel 2" it asks for "Reel 1" but won't recognize my original "Reel 1" when inserted.  I am using OS 3.1 at the moment and have not taken out of storage my A500 to try OS 1.3 or 2.04.  

My "Reel 1" contains the following files:

c directory with EndCLI, Launch, more, Run, and SetPatch files
devs directory with system-configuration file
s directory with startup-sequence file
.info
CAL.BOLT
CORE.BOLT
DIARY.BOLT
FLUFF.BOLT
READ_ME.INSTALL
READ_ME.INSTALL.info
SHELL.BOLT
Wings
Wings.info
WMUSIC.BOLT

"Reel 2" contains the following files:

.info
BOMB.BOLT
DDD.BOLT
Empty.info
HDInstall
HDInstall.info
INTRO.BOLT
OTHER.BOLT
pilot.dat
STRAF.BOLT

Looking at the HDInstall file script it appears to me (IIRC) that the script needs a "c" directory on the "Reel 2" disk with Assign, Echo, Execute and Delete commands in it, so I added a "c" directory and copied my Assign, Execute and Delete commands from my hard drive Sys:c directory, but could not find the Echo command which must be contained in my system elsewhere (maybe in the Kickstart ROMs), as the command does work when called.  The HDInstall file script also "Execute"s "Reel 2:S/Install-II", which does not exist on my "Reel 2" disk.

It appears that someone screwed with these original disks and then when they could not run the game any longer decided to sell the game on eBay.  Lucky ME!
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
Re: Wings
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 09:10:47 PM »
Seeing as you actually bought the game, it would be morally reasonable to try and find the adfs somewhere online.
I like Amigas

Offline Abou27

• Show only replies by Abou27
    • http://www.renault-agriculture.co.uk/forums/
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 10:54:57 PM »
Cinemaware have the ADFs of the disks freely available on their website:-)

Offline amigadaveTopic starter

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 11:32:13 PM »
Found the Cinemaware site and have downloaded the file to my powerbook.  Just need to transfer to my A4000 now.  Thanks,
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Darklight

• Show only replies by Darklight
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:29:11 AM »
If your disks really are stuffed (compare them to the adfs), then you could always just write the adfs to the originals - if you can't use them anyway, you're not going to lose much by trying, but you may end up with working original disks.

Offline Leifern

• Show only replies by Leifern
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 02:28:21 AM »
Or, what happened to me, when i went over my original disks, and almost every game had 1 or 2 faulty disks. I ended up with i bunch of poorly cracked games, that would run, almost install and not at all with WHDload.. A real pain in the ***!! I wish all the adf's out there would be of the original disks. Well, since Cinemaware is offering them on their website, i guess the disks are original..