Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help me decide which accelerated boards to buy in the future?  (Read 1469 times)

Description:

Offline zyphoidTopic starter

• Show only replies by zyphoid
Help me decide which accelerated boards to buy in the future?
« on: September 29, 2007, 12:30:27 AM »
Ok boys and girls with another show to look forward to amiwest, and all the optimism of an OS4.0 release for classic (just go with it!) which boards are we going to play with.  There are Eficka, coldfire, Sam, shark and ol' faithful cyberstorm/blizzards 603-604PPC? Which toys should we be playing with on our systems? I mean the holidays are coming soon and all! :-?
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Re: Help me decide which accelerated boards to buy in the future?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 02:40:45 AM »
with the recent action of ppc cards i'm aprehensive about making a purchase if newer options become available

A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline Rbby

• Show only replies by Rbby
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 06:15:08 AM »
With OS4 for Classic soon to be released I too am wondering about boards but because there's no new boards available for us classic owners we'll just have to store our machines in the closet and purchase a whole new system.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 06:21:47 AM »
I dont see os4 classic coming soon ): Sorry, the legal blocks, etc.

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 09:57:21 AM »
1. Coldfire and Shark don't exist.
2. Efika and Sam don't run any Amiga operating systems

So if it's OS4 you're looking for, your only option is a classic Amiga PPC board. Assuming OS4 Classic is ever actually released.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline jimbo100

• Show only replies by jimbo100
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 11:39:03 AM »

motorollin wrote:
So if it's OS4 you're looking for, your only option is a classic Amiga PPC board. Assuming OS4 Classic is ever actually released.

Why would they release OS4 for classic?  There would be only 25 PPC users out there!

Offline Rbby

• Show only replies by Rbby
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 06:56:48 PM »
jimbo,

There would be a lot more ppc classic users if the people who are holding onto extra boards would do those of us who want a ppc a favor amd sell their extra board.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 08:15:21 PM »
yea, I know it's sarcasm, but there are alot more PPc users, out there, and potential cards too.

@Moto
seriously though, why then go through the trouble of premiering at Pianeta show if the hardware isn't os4 compatable...then the empty os4 classic boxes display ect. and there was a youtube post on one of these recent threads last week on the show with the sam in action presumably.  Ar you saying its an elaborate hoax. We've had them before.  On another note PORT OPENOFFICE FOR AMIGA!

Offline motorollin

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 08:49:52 PM »
zyphoid wrote:
why then go through the trouble of premiering at Pianeta show if the hardware isn't os4 compatable...

What did they actually do when they got there?

zyphoid wrote:
then the empty os4 classic boxes display ect.

Empty boxes are just that - empty.

zyphoid wrote:
and there was a youtube post on one of these recent threads last week on the show with the sam in action presumably.

It didn't show it running OS4.

zyphoid wrote:
Ar you saying its an elaborate hoax

Not a hoax. Just a farce.

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline nasty

• Show only replies by nasty
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 08:58:39 PM »
There would be a lot more ppc classic users if the people who are holding onto extra boards would do those of us who want a ppc a favor amd sell their extra board.

I own 3 PPC's cards, well 2 now but thats the reason I had 3. One knackers up due to its age then I always have a spare rather than trying to source another one thats gonna go for major £'s on ebay or simply get ripped off by many con people out there in amiga world. The only thing I can suggest to you and people wanting a PPC card is to place an advert on A.org (where my latest one came from) and be prepared to dig deep if required (Remember the favor aint selling a card cheap but simply just selling the card).
Specs:
A1200PT, mediator c/w voodoo 3 2000, sb128, 60G HDD,OS3.9,LITEON CDR, nec 4x4 changer,External Scan Doubler,Cocolino adapter,PS2 keyboard adaptor.

Morphos 2.6, mini mac g4 @ 1.25ghz.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 09:14:02 PM »
guess i'll wait then. I emailed them, i hope i get some clarification on this issue!

Damn Moto, no optimism huh? :-(

Offline motorollin

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 08:59:58 AM »
zyphoid wrote:
Damn Moto, no optimism huh? :-(

How do you expect people to be optimistic about OS4 after being let down so many times?

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline PPC

• Show only replies by PPC
    • http://home.planet.nl/~seele069
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 09:22:50 AM »
I still have my PPC board (blizzard ppc) but my card is broken... like many others.
They are great cards that make the classic amiga still very much fun to use, but they are also very fragile (not to mention expensive 2nd hand)

Friend of mine has 3 (!!) csppc's all broken.....
from 1 the scsi is the dead, another the ppc, the 3rd i cannot remember.

Anyway, it's really time for some new hardware, also some of the ppc cards are nearly 10 years old now.

Is there no option that if we all stick our heads together so that we can have a new batch of blizz/csppc cards made ?
(with a faster 604e like 350Mhz clocked to 400Mhz)
Or is there still talent enough left that a new classic Amiga accellerator can be made within a reasonable period of time ?

At least that way we can get faster classic miggy's wich is also a welcome option (at least for me it is)

Amiga is addictive coz it is fun to use

A1200 Elbox power tower, BPPC 040/25+603e 240 Mhz, 128 MB RAM,Bvision,Zorro IV&Zorro IV PCI busboard,X-surf,Buddha IDE
A4000 Elbox power tower,CSPPC 060/60+604e 233Mhz, 128 MB RAM,CvisonPPC, AriadneII
A600+Vampire V2,A604N+RTC,SUM USB keyboard controller,Topolino with logitech wireless keyboard&mouse

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 09:42:12 AM »
@PPC

Redoing the P5-cards is impossible (some parts are impossible to get by now).
It would also cause problems with new regulations (ROHS), be downright expensive and still slow as hell.

Doing a pure PPC-card should be possible, but then why not doing the real McCoy and leave out the whole 68k-HW (remeber these boards are 10 years old MINIMUM).

Efika is still available, SAM should be available, there are 1000s of Pegs and 1000000s of PPC-Macs out there, so the HW ain't (and newer was) the problem.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline PPC

• Show only replies by PPC
    • http://home.planet.nl/~seele069
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 09:51:51 AM »
@ kronos,

Good point about the parts not being available no more, did not thought about that (woops major bummer)

Good point also being with all that ppc hardware out there,
Uhmm but let's be honost, if and/or when are we going to see OS 4 on something like this seen the current situation.

Oh well i'll just have my ppc card repaired (it still works a bit, but after OS3.9 reboot it returns with a red screen..)

Amiga is addictive coz it is fun to use

A1200 Elbox power tower, BPPC 040/25+603e 240 Mhz, 128 MB RAM,Bvision,Zorro IV&Zorro IV PCI busboard,X-surf,Buddha IDE
A4000 Elbox power tower,CSPPC 060/60+604e 233Mhz, 128 MB RAM,CvisonPPC, AriadneII
A600+Vampire V2,A604N+RTC,SUM USB keyboard controller,Topolino with logitech wireless keyboard&mouse