Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Work partition "Uninitialized"  (Read 3514 times)

Description:

Offline zyphoidTopic starter

• Show only replies by zyphoid
Work partition "Uninitialized"
« on: June 19, 2007, 06:57:26 PM »
Ok guys before I do something stupid, how can I recover my Work partition files!? .....I admit the drive (seagate 2.5 2gig) has been giving signs of failure,(chirps before starting up usually from being left running overnight or a couple of days) but anywho, I was enjoying a game on mame and decided to switch to another, then pressed the esc.  The drive light came on and remained on,  thinking that it was a typical crash, as mame (and all my files are in Work:) I pressed reset, and the bootseq started, but when it got to the work executables it said can't find work!
I was devistated, as I reset and waited again.. same result.

There are two partitions workbench and work I can only assume something happened during the reading or quitting of the program it sucks but help!! Work is the heart of my system!  all my fun is in that drive!  And no I don't have a backup
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline RRunner

• Show only replies by RRunner
Re: Work partition "Uninitialized"
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »
I would try running DiskSalv against it...
-=>The RoadRunner<=-
A2000 030/40Mhz, 8Mb RAM, 1GB HD
AmiKit

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 07:11:44 PM »
No wait. Don't do that yet. DiskSalv is not always the best option. There are better tools. Often DiskSalv can make it worse.

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
yea I don't want to risk losing  anything most of all some final writer files! I know reformatting will get the drive back, but my primary option is to get the files!

@Moto which other programs may work?
A1200T Mid-Night 060@50mhz tv tuner,voodoo banshee,usb subway,mediator,Dual Multi partition 200Gig 2.5/3.5HD, Twin dual-layer lite-on dvd 52x dvd-rw, sx-32pro030@50mhz my favorite system what xbox came from til someone says otherwise,A500 Efika...

Offline motorollin

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 07:32:44 PM »
I think QuarterBack Tools is considered to be the best. TBH I'm not sure what is the best option. All I know is that DiskSalv is for sure not the best way. I expect somebody like Tomas or Piru will be able to recommend the best package.

By the way, formatting the drive will probably not solve your problems. Strange noises coming from the drive are indicative of a mechanical failure. Your best option is to use software to recover whatever you can, then copy the files to a new disk. Then throw the old one away.

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline VooDoo

• Show only replies by VooDoo
    • http://www.voodoo-amiga.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 07:45:55 PM »
And my voice for Quarteback tools...is very good progy for repair and recover files from brokena partition!
--
A1200 sandwich :)

uA1c/g3-800 mHz/512mb/160gb hdd/OS4.1 Final + upd #1 :-D :worship

MacMini G4 1.5ghz 1GB ram + MorphOS 3.9

Croatian Amiga portal

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 07:55:49 PM »
Quarterback tools....where can i get it?

Offline motorollin

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 07:57:21 PM »
Hmmm QuarterBack Tools is commercial. Maybe someone can recommend a good freeware alternative?

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline CLS2086

• Show only replies by CLS2086
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 07:59:36 PM »
Hi,
did you try to boot with a patched rescue disk for OS3.9BB2 ?
It could be a dead FS driver !

I have a similar error message, because i use "LARGE" cluster size that is not handled natively, giving me better "reboot" time and more  ;-)
Keep the Faith !
VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/CDTV/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC -ATEO-BV/4060D/CD32/Aone/Peg 1/Peg2 G4/ various funny machines too  :-) http://www.mo5.com/collection/index.php?pseudo=CLS2086
I also repair drives of our old beloved Amiga

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »

CLS2086 wrote:
Hi,
did you try to boot with a patched rescue disk for OS3.9BB2 ?
It could be a dead FS driver !

I have a similar error message, because i use "LARGE" cluster size that is not handled natively, giving me better "reboot" time and more  ;-)

patched rescue 3.9bb2 not familiar with i, though I am running 3.9

I tried an alternate partition which has a startup, but DH1 icon "Work:" was still ghost

Offline pVC

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 08:19:24 PM »
Hmm... am I too tired, but I didn't notice anywhere which filesystem you use? It's pretty crucial to know before saying any salvage programs :)

If it's standard FFS... first thing is to check is it validating the filesystem. If the drive light is on and info command on shell says it's validating, then just sit down and wait until something happens :) With a luck it gets fixed or at least tells some error. But when it says "uninitialized" it's not probably that.

Most programs won't work any other filesystem than FFS (and for usual 2G/4G limit). Anyway for FFS I've got the best fixing results with ABTools. Wouldn't use DiskSalv personally until last change :)

BTW. do partitions show up correctly when looking with HDToolBox? If it's RDB issue, it could be fixed with writing new RDB... but wouldn't do that in first place now either :)
Daily MorphOS user and Amiga active.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 08:39:24 PM »

pVC wrote:

If it's standard FFS... first thing is to check is it validating the filesystem. If the drive light is on and info command on shell says it's validating, then just sit down and wait until something happens :) With a luck it gets fixed or at least tells some error. But when it says "uninitialized" it's not probably that.

Most programs won't work any other filesystem than FFS (and for usual 2G/4G limit). Anyway for FFS I've got the best fixing results with ABTools. Wouldn't use DiskSalv personally until last change :)

BTW. do partitions show up correctly when looking with HDToolBox? If it's RDB issue, it could be fixed with writing new RDB... but wouldn't do that in first place now either :)

Yea the drive shows up when  I used HDToolBox and it was FFs.  That's as far as I wanted to go messing around!
I have to recover those files!
 :madashell:

Offline motorollin

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:00:45 PM »
Do the partitions show up in HDToolBox too?

--
moto
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline A4000_Mad

• Show only replies by A4000_Mad
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 09:21:44 PM »
@ zyphoid

Firstly I think you were wise not to rush at doing anything. I've only ever managed to save a lost Work partition myself using Quarterback Tools.

After starting the program I ticked the box 'Devices' and clicked on HD1 in the list of my partitions. Then I chose 'Recover Lost/Deleted Files'.

At the next screen under 'Recover to:' I changed 'Same volume' to 'Different volume: and typed the destination for the recovered files (it was HD3 in my case).

Good luck if you try it mate.

EDIT - Gulp! You only have 2 partitions and it is unlikely that the contents of Work would fit into Workbench. So you may have to use Recover to 'Same volume'. You also have the choice of using 'Analyze and Repair Volume' but if I recall correctly this might just give a report like "HD1 does not have a valid volume bitmap". Scary stuff I know mate :nervous:

A4000 Mad
A4000 Mad

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 09:37:52 PM »
If you're really paranoid about losing stuff:

Make a 1:1 image copy of the drive (for example under linux). Then if you mess things up with b0rken application, you always have the whole disk image to work with.

Granted, this requires some linux knowhow, and might fail anyhow (if the drive is physically failing)

Next best thing would be trying DiskSalv (from aminet) recovery, but not the *in place* one (disksalv recovery is non-destrutive one if you recovered to another partition). If DiskSalv can't do it, then it might be a good idea to try find QBT. If I recall correctly QBT was superior tool. It has been a LONG time though (I haven't used FFS in about 10+ years or so), so bear with me.

It is also possible that the HDD is physically toast. In this case only partial data can be saved, and you could potentially lose quite a bit of it.