Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where can I get one of the $299 cheap Pegasos boards in the UK?  (Read 2161 times)

Description:

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
Re: Where can I get one of the $299 cheap Pegasos boards in the UK?
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 30, 2003, 04:53:43 AM »
Actually I skimmed like crazy because I have a few deadlines and such. Any person who got a Pegasos through me at least knew exactly what they were getting for how much - or should have - since I took care to describe it clearly to them.

So, I guess I don't understand how YOU had so much trouble, since I had no problems whatsoever finding out what was available and what the manufactuer said ; }

...I think you've put some composite together from a jumble of info and mis-info so I am reluctant to actually read deeper, knowing that my poor beleagured mind could become similarly confused. Also I must admit that my time could be spent better actually working with people who appreciate it.

Thank you : }
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2003, 05:49:01 AM »
greenboy garbled:
Actually I skimmed like crazy because I have a few deadlines and such. Any person who got a Pegasos through me at least knew exactly what they were getting for how much - or should have - since I took care to describe it clearly to them.

So, I guess I don't understand how YOU had so much trouble, since I had no problems whatsoever finding out what was available and what the manufactuer said ; }

...I think you've put some composite together from a jumble of info and mis-info so I am reluctant to actually read deeper, knowing that my poor beleagured mind could become similarly confused. Also I must admit that my time could be spent better actually working with people who appreciate it.

Thank you : }
:-( Greenboy, I thought better of you.

:-? Are you seriously explaining that you refuse to take the time to actually read Ivan’s complaint because he was unhappy with his experience?  Do you stand behind your products only when the customer is happy?

:evil: The practice of turning away every complainant, and labeling him a “trouble maker” is unconscionable.  It simply isn’t done.

Your message reminds me of the old saw about a “lifetime warranty” being limited by the lifetime of the product; the warranty expires the minute there is trouble.  However, in your case, it seems that you are serious!

Offline BADHead

• Show only replies by BADHead
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2003, 07:33:25 AM »
lets face if they were not cheap you would not even
think of buying one ?  ;-)
Crazy on a ship of fools  :whack:

Offline gary_c

• Show only replies by gary_c
    • http://www.cunningham-lee.com
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2003, 08:31:40 AM »
All that were sold were preorders so they would know how many to make and they went to the truely gullible and to developers.

There were no preorders. Genesi did not take any mony in advance for Pegasos I motherboards. Individual resellers may have, but that would be between them and their customers; actually, I haven't heard of this happening either, though. "The truely gullible"? Well, it's a PowerPC motherboard. The buyers are the same people, in many cases, buying AmigaOnes, so call them what you like. AFAIK the production numbers for the Pegasos I board were determined by technical factors on the supply side, not market ones. In any case, the number of buyers was not the determining factor. If it was, they'd still be selling, because there is still demand. You are correct that the initial market was/is developers.
i suppose i'm about to be the target of a character assasination now too, watch.

Nice illustration of why people would  want to flame you. I assume mdma will be in better control than this. :-)
He promised me a G4 Pegasos and tried to sell me a G3 alpha board.

Surely you realize this is the early stages of product development. The boards offered have been, all along, for developers and early adoptors. (Similarly, reading the AmigaOne list at Yahoo groups reveals the same pattern of glitches and solutions for that board.) Whether you want to call it an alpha or beta or whatever is up to you. This early in the product development cycle, specs change. Early adopters are expected to be ready for that. I can only say there are hundreds of apparently satisfied new owners of Pegasos I boards now. (I say "apparently" because I've only heard directly from several dozen so far.) Sorry your personal experience was so disappointing, but, looking at the overall situation, you seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

-- gary_c

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2003, 08:33:00 AM »
Quixote, OK - I'm reading, I'm reading! ; }  But realize that I am not a salesperson, reseller, or a placer of adverts, or shaper of policy in any of those regards.

...Ok, I read this far: "They were canceled before they wen't on the market."

Wrong.

"All that were sold were preorders"

Wrong.

"so they would know how many to make"

Wrong.

"and they went to the truely gullible and to developers"

Wrong-headed.

And now that I have affirmed I am dealing with some pretty strange crap in the very first chunk of text, I am content that I made the right decision. It's not like this was an honest customer and I was a salesperson. Nice try though.
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2003, 09:42:19 AM »
greenboy granted:
Quixote, OK - I'm reading, I'm reading! ; }...

...I am content that I made the right decision.
;-) Thank you.  That's all we ask.

There is no rule that states that you must agree with what others say, but it's only fair to know what the other fellow has said before you gainsay it.

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2003, 10:05:39 AM »
@Ivan

a) Nowhere will you find a price-quote for a Pegasos-G4, and
that why you can't claim they had been offered. Only G3s have
been offered, and that was/is wht you get.

b) Pegasos without April does work, and one with April1 works so
good that I see no need to replace mine.

c) Noone has yet seen anything more than CPU-centric benches
about the A1-G4 working, and noone ver said that the G4 wouldn't act
like a G4 in an Articia-based mobo. But also noone has sofar
tested (and told the public)what happens if you but some real stress
to the mobo.

d) Who needs a PPC just to run Linux  :-P
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline Warface

• Show only replies by Warface
    • http://www.spacehawks.hu
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2003, 10:51:17 AM »

Ivan wrote:
>Anyone know how to?

You can't. They were canceled before they wen't on the market. All that were sold were preorders so they would know how many to make and they went to the truely gullible and to developers.

Strange. A friend of mine ordered his pegasos when those were already manufactured and available at the dealers. And received it a few weeks before. Just as simple.

Yes the first April chips worked but they didnt fix the Pegasos. The systems they already sold needed to be repaired with the April1.

You're clearly mixing things up, or it was just a wording mistake? "Worked", "but didn't fix", "needed to be repaired" - all concerning the same April patch. Would you mind clearing up?

That's why i called them alpha boards, not to be insulting but, because they were never fully tested before they shipped and had a number of problems. Then they had to exchange the chips again with the April2 and more people had to ship boards back. And it still needs more fixes, or they would have the G4 motherboards they told us we could buy.

don't wan't to take sides in a camp or anything but i'll mention it for comparison. There is another Arctica based motherboard out there with G4 cpus and the owners of these boards have all said that the bugs plagueing the Pegasos are not present on thier machine. So maybe an April3 will eventually get things sorted for the Peg. (and i really hope it does)

For your pleasure I don't have "issues" with my April 1 board in everyday use at all. But yes, I still believe there may be rare occasions when such things may occur, if it worth them manufacturing a new version of the fix and offered to replace the boards.  All this because am just an everyday user, and not qualified to discover hidden, or not simply obvious bugs, which most probably occur rarely. That much for your comparison, that "owners of these [those] boards have all said that the bugs plagueing the Pegasos are not present on thier machine".

I doubt you "really hope it" for some odd reason, I can't tell. :-)

Offline Rudei

• Show only replies by Rudei
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2003, 11:46:37 AM »
Who needs a PPC just to run Linux

Oh change the record will you, all of you!
The guy asked a perfectly acceptable question, and then the Pegasos takes a slating, then the A1, then BBRV, next it`ll be Amiga.inc.  

Do you people not get bored arguing about the same old ####?

2017 Camaro 2SS

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2003, 12:46:54 PM »
d) Who needs a PPC just to run Linux

Who needs to run Linux, period? ;-)

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2003, 01:06:57 PM »
Who needs to run Linux, period?

AROS developers ;-)

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2003, 03:55:13 PM »

KennyR wrote:
d) Who needs a PPC just to run Linux

Who needs to run Linux, period? ;-)

Me. Who needs to run Windows, anyway? ;-)

(to clarify: I develop embedded linux systems, broadcast video hardware and firmware for said hardware. I can do this in Linux, but AmigaOS is not an option. I don't need Windows at all, except for the odd round of Civ3 (because I can't get winex to compile, and I'm too cheap to subscribe to the binary distribution :-( ))

Of course, I _need_ to run AmigaOS from time to time to keep me from going crazy, which might explain a bit since I haven't booted up an Amiga for a week or more... Today has been hell  :-P