Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple's iPad 2 is the 'Holy Grail' of computing  (Read 17162 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
Re: Apple's iPad 2 is the 'Holy Grail' of computing
« Reply #74 from previous page: March 21, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »
@Iggy

Try it out, it's a neat device for what it is.  Not every computer has to do everything.  My fridge doesn't have to host websites, my TV doesn't have to render 3D objects in real time.  I have an 8 core Mac Pro that handles the hard computing stuff.  I have give talks with an iPad and small projector, watched TV from my slingbox, etc with the iPad.  I use it for light internet use.  It's simply  tool that fills a niche.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2011, 04:40:19 AM »
While we are all dissing Apple (except for bloodline) what's up with the magic trackpad? Never tried one. Gimmick or innovative?
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2011, 05:38:09 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;623401
While we are all dissing Apple (except for bloodline) what's up with the magic trackpad? Never tried one. Gimmick or innovative?

Gimmick. The mouse speed has to be set slower than on the regular moust to operate it. It is not suited to replace the mouse any better than a regular trackpad though, so you wouldn´t want to go without one.

As for the "holy grail" statement: Try computing where 4x*x*x+2x-3 touches the x-axis on an iPad. Then try on a REAL computer. Notice how many different options you have on the latter.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2011, 05:46:36 AM »
I don't use mice. I'm in love with logitech trackballs :)

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2011, 09:34:11 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;623339
Only in the sense of a mythical object that a lot o resources were wasted on trying to find.

So the iPad3 will be called "the g-spot"?

/ducks

Offline nicholas

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2011, 01:46:55 PM »
This explains why my MBP is so bloody slow since my battery exploded and I took it out!

http://gigaom.com/mobile/run-your-macboo/

Jobs is Satan personified.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;623454
This explains why my MBP is so bloody slow since my battery exploded and I took it out!

Read the comments, not an Apple specific issue.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;623454

I never thought about that! I had an Acer laptop where the battery went bad, so I just used it as a desktop and the bloody thing kept switching off when doing anything demanding... I figured the thermal sensor was duff or something... Absolute pain, lost work as well... I didn't think that the battery would be the cause...

Without my usual Apple bias, I would say the Apple solution is actually more elegant...

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
Quote from: EvilGuy;623424
So the iPad3 will be called "the g-spot"?

/ducks

That's actually pretty easy to find.
I just find labeling the iPad as the "Holy Grail" to be a bit ludicrous.
Hell, I don't even want one. I could see owning one of those smaller 7" Android tablets, but the iPad is stupid sized.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline nicholas

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;623457
Read the comments, not an Apple specific issue.

Exploding batteries is.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
Quote from: persia;623394
@Iggy

Try it out, it's a neat device for what it is.  Not every computer has to do everything.  My fridge doesn't have to host websites, my TV doesn't have to render 3D objects in real time.  I have an 8 core Mac Pro that handles the hard computing stuff.  I have give talks with an iPad and small projector, watched TV from my slingbox, etc with the iPad.  I use it for light internet use.  It's simply  tool that fills a niche.

Quote from: persia;623321
On the flip side not every device need have a full bash shell,  I don't need it for my TV, even though it has a web browser. Sometimes a device is just a device.  The iPad is neat for a handheld applications platform, but I would want to code on it.

So, as a user you are basically saying it's a fairly basic device for undemanding end-user applications. So in what sense, then, can it possibly be described as "the holy grail" of computing" ?

For a start, none of the tasks you have suggested are really what anybody would seriously call "computing". After all, consuming media and web surfing and so on is the sort of thing you can do on your average TV set in 2011.

To a serious user, the "holy grail" of computing is far more likely to be something that lets them do real work (whether that's creating content, coding or whatever else) with maximum efficiency, minimum hassle and as inexpensively as possible. Precisely the sort of activities you've dismissed it as being any use for.

Do you see why this kind of stupid "best thing evar!" hype gets on my tits now?
int p; // A

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2011, 04:23:53 AM »
While i'm ranting what's up with people holding on to the osx boot disk and manuals? :confused:

When i almost bought a mac mini on ebay today the seller made it clear he wouldn't give me the manuals or boot disk. What possible use could this be especially as it was PPC? What happens if i need to reboot? :confused:

Apple sucks, hate everything about them, which is ironic as i'm writing this post on an imac and quite enjoying it too. I'm confused... :(

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;623501
So, as a user you are basically saying it's a fairly basic device for undemanding end-user applications. So in what sense, then, can it possibly be described as "the holy grail" of computing" ?

For a start, none of the tasks you have suggested are really what anybody would seriously call "computing". After all, consuming media and web surfing and so on is the sort of thing you can do on your average TV set in 2011.

To a serious user, the "holy grail" of computing is far more likely to be something that lets them do real work (whether that's creating content, coding or whatever else) with maximum efficiency, minimum hassle and as inexpensively as possible. Precisely the sort of activities you've dismissed it as being any use for.

Do you see why this kind of stupid "best thing evar!" hype gets on my tits now?
Well, that's obvious :) Coming fom the Amiga community I find it rather easy to tune out the Hype.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't Apple that called the iPad2 the "Holy Grail of Computing", which it clearly isn't... But I would argue this is is pretty damn close for a consumer electronic computing device. Think of it like a washing machine, it does what it says it does on the box, it just works, turn it on use it... No worry, no difficulties.

Apple is trading here on the fact that MicroSoft, left big security holes in Win95 and if anything went wrong with your "PC"... You were going to have to take it to an expert to get it fixed, those are the two real features the iPad trades on, the rest is just fluff.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;623694
..Correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't Apple that called the iPad2 the "Holy Grail of Computing", which it clearly isn't... But I would argue this is is pretty damn close for a consumer electronic computing device. Think of it like a washing machine, it does what it says it does on the box, it just works, turn it on use it... No worry, no difficulties.

Apple is trading here on the fact that MicroSoft, left big security holes in Win95 and if anything went wrong with your "PC"... You were going to have to take it to an expert to get it fixed, those are the two real features the iPad trades on, the rest is just fluff.

Dunno about the just turn it on & no worries bit. browsing flash sites is a worry. until they're all replaced... (o:  
But there is no doubt in my mind the bulk of the concepts around the iPad are the Holy Grail of computing futures.

Look at what intel are up to at the moment. integrated graphics, Purchasing a malware/security vendor. Swallowing up graphics houses. lookout Google when your browser based OS is released,,, whammo...

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »
"The Amiga, powered by hype since 1994."

But that aside, I thing the whole Holy Grail thing was a rather silly thing to come out of a serious computer magazine.  But then magazines themselves are about as relevant to 2011 as floppy disks.

Is a tablet a replacement for a desktop?  Only for some individuals.  Is it a nice device that provides applications for people on the go?  Yes.  What percentage of computer users have only one device?  An ever shrinking number.  The iPad won't replace your main computer, it will replace a lot of netbooks, but largely it's a new market, with it's own rules and logic.

Quote from: bloodline;623694
Well, that's obvious :) Coming fom the Amiga community I find it rather easy to tune out the Hype.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't Apple that called the iPad2 the "Holy Grail of Computing", which it clearly isn't... But I would argue this is is pretty damn close for a consumer electronic computing device. Think of it like a washing machine, it does what it says it does on the box, it just works, turn it on use it... No worry, no difficulties.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline dentunes

• Show only replies by dentunes
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;623496
Exploding batteries is.
No other product has had an issue with exploding batteries other than Apple?

Apple isn't perfect but that is a load of crap.

Sony
http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/Sony-Goes-to-Bed-With-IBM-2.jpg/

HP
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1649552/hp-expands-exploding-battery-recall

HTC
http://www.neowin.net/news/htc-touch-pro-battery-explodes-the-trend-continues

I think you get the point.
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?