Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Timberwolf Progress Update  (Read 21028 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Timberwolf Progress Update
« Reply #149 from previous page: August 18, 2011, 12:32:52 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;655180
to improve this thread in lack of "real" progress update we could introduce "virtual progress update" where we would talk about what we believe is currently worked on, how it will work when finished and about that it will be finished when it is done.

I like that idea.

I reckon they have probably got to the point where the have realised that  to your average user, firefox has become a massive and bloated  slow ,piece of  irrelevance
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
Quote from: piru;655179
file a abuse report and let the moderators moderate.

qft.
int p; // A

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2011, 02:27:28 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;655180
to improve this thread in lack of "real" progress update we could introduce "virtual progress update" where we would talk about what we believe is currently worked on, how it will work when finished and about that it will be finished when it is done.

If we're going to talk "virtual progress updates" then you might as well just run right on over to my thread discussing whether the X1000 is the best suited platform for personal mini-space shuttles.

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »
I posted regarding the source thing, because it's something that concerns me when it comes to Amiga software. I am neither an OS4 user nor a MorphOS user. if something needs criticism or discussing then it should be (This is a forum, not a place of worship). Perhaps the real issue is, a lot of stuff happens regarding OS4 that perhaps deserves critique.

Offline bernd_afa

• Show only replies by bernd_afa
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
Quote from: billt;655113
Eh? From what I see at the amigabounty website describing the Timberwolf project:

The version to be ported is the most recent 4.0 version including the latest stability fixes. At the time of writing this, the most recent 4.0 version is 4.0.1. Any subsequent stability fix will be applied.

Later versions of Firefox (4.1 and beyond) are not covered by the bounty.

You text stand above. but below under initial release stand this.so seem this text is forget to modify

"""
http://www.amigabounty.net/?function=viewproject&projectid=44
Initial Release

As outlined above, the initial release aims at being up-to-date with the current stable branch of Mozilla/Firefox. That is, if for example the current stable branch of Firefox is 3.5.1, then Timberwolf shall be based on 3.5.1. After this version, the author(s) of Timberwolf shall use best effort to
continue to update to interim stable released of Firefox, i.e. 3.5.2, 3.5.3 etc. This bounty shall not cover anything beyond the released version, ie. Version 3.6 or later versions of Firefox.

""

Offline bernd_afa

« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2011, 05:30:17 PM »
Quote from: billt;655113
Eh? From what I see at the amigabounty website describing the Timberwolf project:

The version to be ported is the most recent 4.0 version including the latest stability fixes. At the time of writing this, the most recent 4.0 version is 4.0.1. Any subsequent stability fix will be applied.

Later versions of Firefox (4.1 and beyond) are not covered by the bounty.

Your text stand above, now i see it. but below under "initial release" stand this.so seem this text is forget to modify, because tell the oppusite

"""
Initial Release

As outlined above, the initial release aims at being up-to-date with the current stable branch of Mozilla/Firefox. That is, if for example the current stable branch of Firefox is 3.5.1, then Timberwolf shall be based on 3.5.1. After this version, the author(s) of Timberwolf shall use best effort to
continue to update to interim stable released of Firefox, i.e. 3.5.2, 3.5.3 etc. This bounty shall not cover anything beyond the released version, ie. Version 3.6 or later versions of Firefox.

""

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2011, 05:42:46 PM »
Quote from: bernd_afa;655218
Your text stand above, now i see it. but below under "initial release" stand this.so seem this text is forget to modify, because tell the oppusite

"""
Initial Release

""

This is clearly because of a couple reasons. One, having a browser based on a 3.x version of FF makes it look ridiculously outdated, what with v6.0 out and all. Granted the versioning over at FF has taken a ridiculous twist, but even so there's this perception that there is a huge gap. And it's only going to get worse.

The other reason is, this gives the Friedens an excellent excuse to further delay an actual release thus covering up the fact that they screwed up and had to start over.

But since this is a hobby project, who really cares? Just sayin, don't expect an actual release any time soon (Timberwolf first appeared back in 2009) and if there is a "release" expect in-house beta quality.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got other sites to visit with my "bloated slow" 6.0 version of FF.

Offline Derfs

• Show only replies by Derfs
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »

"""
Initial Release

""

no it doesnt, it is an example. i understand english is not your first langauge, but you are reading something that is not there.

Offline bernd_afa

« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
Quote from: utri007;655166
BUT it is true that amiga.org is most hostile forum against OS4 and that is mostly because some MOS users who like to hijact every single OS4 thread.

I get the experience that this Forum is the only in the amiga world that stay neutral, in other Forums there are OS4 Fans in Moderation that do not like any other AOS, they allow to write bashes against other AOS.some OS4 user dont accept other AOS, they write simular as, all should buy OS4 and other AOS are bad and not Amigan.

but if somebody say something correct, wy he not want buy the glory OS4 or believe what they tell, and this let the OS4 not look in best shine, then the post is delete.

So the forum moderations of other Forums help to let OS4 shine better as it really is.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:05:29 PM by bernd_afa »

Offline bernd_afa

« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2011, 05:48:33 PM »
Quote from: Derf;655225
no it doesnt, it is an example. i understand english is not your first langauge, but you are reading something that is not there.

ok, now i understand, but i think to make it more clear, the best is when below the initial release text is too change.

because the initial release was in my understanding given with the the alpha version which is release some months

Offline bernd_afa

« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2011, 05:58:52 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;655224
But since this is a hobby project, who really cares? Just sayin, don't expect an actual release any time soon (Timberwolf first appeared back in 2009) and if there is a "release" expect in-house beta quality.

it cares alot.before OWB OS4 was begin, firefox for OS4 was develop in silence.nobody here messages about firefox state of OS4.

I read many posts on other sites, simular that "OS4 is the best and should buy", because only here is firefox, after the loud announce of timberwolf for OS4.

The friedens can continue develop in silence, and when they are near ready with their firefox, they can announce that and short after release.

but when the timberwolf is not promote so loud since MOS OWB is better as OS4, then no user can tell that OS4 is the best that it have firefox.
maybe users leave OS4, because they see no advantage for the much money.and the timberwolf announce keep them here.....

My feeling is the Hyperion guys can better play poker with bluffing than coding ;-)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:03:45 PM by bernd_afa »

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2011, 06:45:54 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;655224
This is clearly because of a couple reasons. One, having a browser based on a 3.x version of FF makes it look ridiculously outdated, what with v6.0 out and all. Granted the versioning over at FF has taken a ridiculous twist, but even so there's this perception that there is a huge gap. And it's only going to get worse.

The other reason is, this gives the Friedens an excellent excuse to further delay an actual release thus covering up the fact that they screwed up and had to start over.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got other sites to visit with my "bloated slow" 6.0 version of FF.

bye, bye!

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
Quote from: utri007;655172
How many posts here are about "Timberwolf Progress Update"? Quite many are personal insults against Frieden brothers/Hyperion

Actually, in agreement with other posters following this silly post, people on aorg are actually able to express their true feelings of OS4 and/or Hyperion and timberwolf. This is not a "fanboy" site where everything is cleansed to make things rosy all the time. (which imho has held back true development and progress of OS4 efforts)

On aorg you are allowed to give your real thoughts without worry of deletion/moderation like on other sites. It seems to me that when the fanboys lose arguments which are completely valid they label you a troll or whatever..

To add to the insanity Hyperion NEVER posts on aorg or aw.net (and barely amigans) to defend their position...which is certainly welcome...

and btw to OS4 fanboys stop calling Piru a troll or whatever as the guy is a dedicated true amigan!
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
Quote from: magnetic;655247
This is not a "fanboy" site where everything is cleansed to make things rosy all the time.

Wrong! This is MOS fanboy site and it have been since BBRV paid the admin some years ago to post MOS bullsh¡t.
Probably the owners of 1100 MOS licenses are happy about this fact, looking at the silence of MorphZone.

On the topic - Timberwolf with the possiblity to use FireFox plugins/addons/extensions is a big plus for the Amiga community, because the numbers of the developers of such additions is bigger than the number of the active Amiga/MOS/AROS users nowadays. Even Piru - a well known MOS coder released FireFox addon recently.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
Your text stand above, now i see it. but below under "initial release" stand this.so seem this text is forget to modify, because tell the oppusite""

You're right, I hadn't read the whole page, only to the part talking about 4.x. I did not continue to see the later part you quoted that does say 3.6. So the page says two different versions, I think it's easy to understand the first part should replace the talk about 3.x, and that the 3.x part needs updated. I'll bug them about that so everything says the same thing, or at least says that the 3.x part was original plan which has since changed to 4.x at least.

I'm not sure if they've said anything since FF 5 and 6 releases if even more update is perhaps planned or not by Friedens now, I suppose it does make sense to ask them that so the bounty can say the correct thing about it.
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »
Quote from: drHirudo;655252
Wrong! This is MOS fanboy site and it have been since BBRV paid the admin some years ago to post MOS bullsh¡t.
Probably the owners of 1100 MOS licenses are happy about this fact, looking at the silence of MorphZone.

Well considering you are a rabid OS4 fanboy I expect this kind of misleading information. (are you sure some of you guys arent involved with Fox News or something? or us GOVT? why I say that? SAME TACTICS of warping facts/truths

Genesi didt pay off anyone.. Wayne Hunt THE FORMER owner of Aorg was employed for a short time by genesi, he then was let go, became disgruntled and actually became an AINC fanboy!  

So get your facts straight. This place is far from overrun with morphos guys. Yes mz is slow and it sux. It seems there are a lot of euro morph sites ppl post on..

Aorg is more a classic amiga site Wake UP and stop posting foolishness.
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs