Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Icaros Desktop 1.3  (Read 9265 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

Re: Icaros Desktop 1.3
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 10:55:03 PM »
Aros runs fairly fast on my Virtual Box setup. I can hear sound when I choose AC97 in aros and click on test. It does not work on any video I play.
Owb is great but no flash plug-in.
Murks is great, I started programming on it.
edit
I am not against getting hardware for an Aros build. I just wish I had the money for a new processor and mainboard.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:57:39 PM by trekiej »
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »
3D acceleration only works with selected nVidia chipsets, and games that require it won't work properly at all with other drivers and chipsets.

When I opened the Janus-UAE prefs I went to Work:Extras/AmiBridge/emulator/ and double-clicked on the Janus-uae icon. Then all I needed to do was change and save the prefs and all worked fine.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline kedawa

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 11:33:24 PM »
I've wanted to build an AROS box using well supported hardware, but I haven't been able to find out which mainboards the prebuilt systems are using.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 01:11:04 AM »
I was thinking. The fact that there are no audio drivers available for use with emulators is a bad sign. I mean isn't this where all the developers do their development? In a virtual environment due to the lack of memory protection?

Or do they not need sound drivers to code that aspect correctly?

As for shopping for the right board... it is a shame that resellers of such boards do not list the exact model of the chips that in the boards half the time. That would save us a ton of hassel.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline ncafferkey

• Show only replies by ncafferkey
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 01:57:39 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;644129
I was thinking. The fact that there are no audio drivers available for use with emulators is a bad sign. I mean isn't this where all the developers do their development? In a virtual environment due to the lack of memory protection?

Are you reading any of the replies in this thread? trekiej has already mentioned twice that VirtualBox's AC97 emulation works with AROS. *If* your CPU has hardware virtualisation, VirtualBox is great for running AROS. I've heard VMWare is good for AROS as well, but I don't know if it has sound.

Quote from: shaf

AROS has no Virtual audio Driver support. Currently the most reliable audio drivers are based on the SBLive Series of Cards.

Maybe the SBLive drivers are the most reliable, I don't know. But the HDAudio and AC97 drivers are pretty good on the right hardware too. There's also an Envy24 driver, but I haven't used it.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 02:03:29 AM »
Quote from: ncafferkey;644132
Are you reading any of the replies in this thread? trekiej has already mentioned twice that VirtualBox's AC97 emulation works with AROS. *If* your CPU has hardware virtualisation, VirtualBox is great for running AROS. I've heard VMWare is good for AROS as well, but I don't know if it has sound.

Maybe the SBLive drivers are the most reliable, I don't know. But the HDAudio and AC97 drivers are pretty good on the right hardware too. There's also an Envy24 driver, but I haven't used it.

I read that and was confused. My copy of Virtual Box does not allow one to custom config their virtual sound chip.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline ncafferkey

• Show only replies by ncafferkey
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 02:17:15 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;644135
I read that and was confused. My copy of Virtual Box does not allow one to custom config their virtual sound chip.

AFAIK older versions of VBox are stuck to AC97, while newer versions give you a choice of AC97 or HDAudio (the AROS HDAudio driver doesn't work with it though).

Offline shaf

• Show only replies by shaf
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 02:48:34 AM »
I couldn't get the AC97 Driver working on my Motherboard ( Realtek ALC850 Chipset) which is why i switched to the SBLive Card. Although That was with Icaros 1.26 I don't think the Audio Drivers changed in 1.30.

The one minor problem is the additional THEMES do not appear to work although the assigns for SYS:THEME and SYS:THEMES appear to be correct. Still get the error THEMES: does not exist.

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 03:45:01 AM »
I go into the aros settings and change the audio there.
Quake sounds good.

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 03:27:26 AM »
I got Aros (Icaros Desktop 1.3) installed today.
1. Make sure that Grub gets installed to the drive you specified in the partitioning section in the beginning.
If you had unit 8 like I did then it will be the same for a single drive setup. It is a 20 Gig drive.

2. when you setup your sound card and Mplayer plays fast, you go into AHI and set it up. (aros-exec post)
For example you select Music and then you card. Then select Unit 0 and your card again. You will repeat for each setting. Make sure the frequency is the same too. Thanks Clusteruk for the card. I have not forgotten.

3. The network works. OWB seems to cause the system to crash. I am not for sure about it.
I use a Linksys router with DHCP enabled. When I go the maint. page the password prompt comes up. I enter the password or click cancel it reboots the system.

4.If I had a 6600GT or 7600 GT, I would have a good machine. I do not know how it will work with pci-e with those cards.

5. Before I wiped the drive. I had a chance to run Amibrige. It ran well but the mouse pointers were not synced. I did not run it at the same resolution so I did not have coherency. I think.

6. It really does look to be stable.

Congratulations to the Team.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 03:53:17 AM »
I finally got a laptop that runs it well. UAE is still crappy, but everything else works pretty damn good for the most part. It ain't BeOS/Haiku and it ain't MorphOS, but it really ain't all that bad with the right hardware after all.

Now... How to delete all those screen modes from Grub that I don't need.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 04:38:41 AM »
edit: oops. accidently typed a response to another thread in here  :)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:42:00 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 05:18:12 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;645753
I finally got a laptop that runs it well. UAE is still crappy, but everything else works pretty damn good for the most part. It ain't BeOS/Haiku and it ain't MorphOS, but it really ain't all that bad with the right hardware after all.

Now... How to delete all those screen modes from Grub that I don't need.

You can delete them out of Grub.conf. Feel free to back up that file first. Commenting them out would be better.
I think it is a '#".

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 05:40:54 AM »
Speaking for myself, I'm just happy that Icaros 1.3 (appears to) fully support my SL510. I actually have a proper screen, instead of a stretched 1024x768 res. Sound is good. Only issues I've encountered is that some games run kinda choppy. Not a loss for me, since I'm not really much into games anymore. I only wish I could find some decent (reliable) programming tools for it. (Of course, I also wish I could actually invest the time in finding those things... sigh.)

I guess, since AROS finally supports the gfx card on my laptop, it's probably time for another donation...

Kudos to the AROS guys.
Ed.

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 06:35:14 AM »
Right now Murks and AmiDevCPP seem to be it for programming,
except the wonderful Hollywood Media Abstract Layer package.
It has to be run on Windows or Amiga.
It makes executable for  
   * AmigaOS 3 (m68k)
    * AmigaOS 4 (ppc)
    * AROS (i386)
    * Linux (i386)*
    * Mac OS X (i386)*
    * Mac OS X (ppc)*
    * MorphOS (ppc)
    * WarpOS (m68k/ppc)
    * Windows (i386)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 06:37:23 AM by trekiej »

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 17, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
I've used AmiDevCpp, it's decent. But I need a good source-level debugger for the AROS side of things.

There was a guy working on something more robust for AROS, but I'm guessing it got too complicated, life got too busy or both. He hasn't done anything for it in a while. A shame. I'd love to have that, might even pay for it.

Oh well, I'll continue to play with AROS and do what I can when I can. :)
Ed.