Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Linux Mint 12 Lisa  (Read 3394 times)

Description:

Offline ciento

• Show only replies by ciento
Re: Linux Mint 12 Lisa
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 13, 2011, 05:38:23 AM »
Quote from: Digiman;667614
Sorted in v2.3 I believe. SUSE is more for tinkerers no? Just want to install and go :)
pclinux os is made for stable ease of use, intead of endless tinkering
(which some love, and thrive on) There is a full monty 4 gig version,
and many smaller ones with specific windomanagers like E17, openbox, kde,
xfce, gnome etc.
These all use synaptic for package management, and fast bfs kernels.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/

There is also a collection of pdf magazines, with helpful
articles covering whats under the hood.

I have a mint 11 installed, a nice ubuntu, but it is klutzy compared to pclinuxos in the daily use category.

Offline TheBilgeRat

• Show only replies by TheBilgeRat
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 07:40:28 AM »
I like mint more than Ubuntu, but it is inevitable that Mint moves more towards where Ubuntu is now.  I think if you are going to do linux, do Arch.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »
Pure Debian for me, none of this Mint add ons to Ubuntu addons to Debian!  I like my koolaid straight.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »
I used vector linux for many years. Its slackware based, small fast and effecient.

I sawitched to puppy linux and have not looked back. Its TINY (128 megs at base install) has ubuntu repos but it all runs in ram...

If you want fast and effecient and responsive/amigalike? puppy is it. Runs from cd, install to hd, or usb. I have mine on a 64gig usb drive. I can take my pc anywhere with me.

Steven

Offline gunni

• Show only replies by gunni
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 07:18:23 PM »
voted upgrading right now but technically I'm not - just "upgraded" over whatever I had on my "messing around" partition. The RC looks good and I like what they've done with Gnome3 to give it a similar feel to previous versions. I'll probably upgrade once the final version is released towards the end of the month.

Offline Xand

• Show only replies by Xand
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 05:17:43 PM »
Solaris 10 and not moving...
SunBlade 1000 2x1200mhz UltraSparc III+, 8GB RAM, XVR1000, 73GB and 300GB FC drives, DVD, SunPCi IIIpro - 1GB RAM (yes it does work when I set the clock back to 2009), Solaris 10.

Ultra60 2x450MHz UltraSPARC II, 2GB RAM, 9GB U160 and 36GB U320 drives, CDROM

A1200T, 603e-240mhz/040-50mhz SCSI, 256mb, MediatorSX, Voodoo3-3000, Soundblaster 128, 10/100 Ethernet, other stuff OS3.9

Offline mahen

• Show only replies by mahen
    • http://mahen.free.fr
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 06:37:16 PM »
It's pretty difficult to make a decision when it comes to distros of DEs...

Canonical / Ubuntu does bring much to Debian to make it easier and work better overall (... when they don't push stuff that are alpha quality to get them ready for the next LTS...). Linut Mint is "just" mainly a couple of guys (one in particular) tweaking Ubuntu to get rid of the bad decisions that are made in it (which is important as well). (oh, and there is the LMDE experiment too)

(for instance, they stuck to Gnome 2 as long as possible and now try to bring the Gnome 2 look and feel to Gnome 3 instead of either switching to Unity or Gnome Shell).

Both play a role, but what Canonical does, and what the Debian community does is extremely important as well. (that's why I think it's good to subscribe to U1 to help fund it).

If you choose Unity (based on G3), the current Ubuntu version is pretty buggy (neither Gnome 3 or Unity are that stable yet -- usable though). The next LTS will probably be very good, in april 2012.

--

However, to add even more complexity, there is KDE 4. I wish Canonical decided to use it instead of Gnome and add some polish to it. For KDE, the best you can do ATM is either use OpenSUSE or Arch (but in Arch you will inevitably have regressions from time to time). And there won't be Canonical to do the "papercuts", backports, support, bring better fonts, easier configuration, commercial apps... Used it for a couple of years and I finally got fed up.

To sum up : TOO MANY CHOICES (G2, G3 + shell, G3 + unity, KDE, + all distros combos), that's killing me (as, obviously, none of them is perfect)! Kinda reminds me of the Amiga community with OS4, AROS and MOS ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:45:18 PM by mahen »

Offline slaapliedje

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by slaapliedje
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 02:55:55 AM »
I would say the 'Linux' you use is all up to what you use it for.

In my many years of using Linux Distributions of all kinds, with the exception perhaps of Slackware.  I use Debian on servers.  Why not Ubuntu?  Well because Debian actually gives two craps about making sure that you can upgrade from one release to the next smoothly.  I had gone from the Sarge release all the way up to Squeeze, that's the same install from late 2005 up until about 2 months ago when I had given up on trying to fix an issue with some php scripts that didn't like being updated to 5.3 (not Debian's fault at all I was using an old PHP setup for my webmail.)

Ubuntu on the other hand has killed grub on many occasions, not even going from release to release, but just by installing updates.  One programmer had his system made unbootable because of the fake raid controller setup was messed up during an update.  I managed to get all his data off of his computer, and we ended up putting Windows 7 back on his desktop (not because of Linux sucking, but because he actually needed Windows 7 for testing what he was working on at that time).

For my desktops, I tend to like the latest software (most people don't understand Gnome-Shell 'cause it's new and different, personally I'm loving it and the direction they're going, though I agree that they need to step up on the customization.)  I use Arch Linux on my desktops.  It works, isn't always the most stable though.  There was a nasty regression in ghostscript I ran into that took them awhile to fix, where it would print everything black except the black parts!  But it was easy to tell it to hold the package to the one that worked, and I simply did that until they fixed it.

Every time I've tried Linux Mint, something is broken in it, and I end up switching to something else.  Either that, or I don't like that they take default Gnome and change things (another reason I really started to dislike Ubuntu).  I've been using Gnome since it was .22 in a really old version of Debian, and loved the original idea of Ubuntu (to release a new version every 6 months, based on the current Debian Testing packages, and make sure Gnome was the newest version.  That really was their original intention.  Then with the whole "oh, we ARE Linux now!" attitude they have, I've just moved away from them.)

Sorry for the rant, but figured I'd give some input, since I've had many years messing with the beast that is Linux.  Ever since Red Hat 4.2!  Yes, I'm talking before they split it up between Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  Those were the days when you had to compile almost everything by yourself.  I remember sitting at a terminal for days downloading the packages (back when I had 56k modem, doing a Debian Net install.)

slaapliedje
A4000D: Mediator 4000Di; Voodoo 3, ZorRAM 128MB, 10/100mb Ethernet, Spider 2. Cyberstorm PPC 060/50 604e/420.

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »
I've helped a couple of people in the office switch from Ubuntu and Vista to Linux. Their needs are pretty simple, and it works well right from the start. It's a good sign when nobody asks me to come and demonstrate something or fix things.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline trekiej

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011, 06:04:30 PM »
Ubuntu, Puppy Linux 5.2 Wary, Debian.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline koaftder

• Show only replies by koaftder
    • http://koft.net
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 06:24:20 PM »
I'm not a big fan of the boat loads of crap stacked a mile high on the various "easy" to use linux distros so it's just vanilla debian for me when I need a linux install. For the back end stuff I use freebsd.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 08:10:25 PM »
I watched a video of it last night, and I must admit, it looks pretty cool! Seems to come with some Video Production software as well which may be a deciding point for me. I may dive in, though I'm not going to buy one of those over priced PC's in a Commodore case!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline TheMagicM

• Show only replies by TheMagicM
    • http://www.BartonekDragRacing.com
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 04:30:03 AM »
I cut out the middleman and I run Debian...used to use openSuSe.  At work I run Solaris.
PowerMac G5 dual 2.0ghz/128meg Radeon/500gb HD/2GB RAM, MorphOS 3.9 registered, user #1900
Powerbook G4 5,6 1.67ghz/2gb RAM, Radeon 9700/250gb hd, MorphOS 3.9 registered #3143

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 06:51:24 AM »
I downloaded the isos for commodore os but I haven't had time to try that (or the new mint) I don't know sometimes you just find what you like, it does everything you need so you stop looking at other alternatives.