Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dimensions of an Amiga 3000 in a desktop case?  (Read 1917 times)

Description:

Offline StrangediskTopic starter

• Show only replies by Strangedisk
Dimensions of an Amiga 3000 in a desktop case?
« on: May 14, 2003, 01:58:39 PM »
Hello, I'm shopping for a new computer and have decided to avoid Amiga hardware until the OS situation sorts itself out, and if never, then never, for the Amiga.  I won't even consider buying an Amiga until they ship with the OS installed and running, but when that happens, I will strongly consider it.

Meanwhile, it's time to buy a new computer.  I'm not a speed freak, I use carefully configured Windows 2000 and Linux distributions for speed, the hardware's speed doesn't matter too much.  Finding a good price is easy with requirements like those!  But I do have requirements, and the second-to-the-most-important-one is an elegant case which fits into my very small Honolulu apartment, and into my sense of elegance and well yes generally I'm a snob when it comes to computer design.  As for laptops I've already settled on the iBook, which I haven't seen any better laptop out there.  In the desktop world, for me, the best case ever designed is the Amiga 3000's desktop case (I hate towers).  I wish I hadn't sold it, years ago.  Now I've found a new computer (http://www.hushtechnologies.net) and I want to buy it.  But I want to compare it to the size of the Amiga 3000 desktop but can't find it's case measurements anywhere on the web.  Does anyone here have an Amiga 3000 desktop sitting around?  I just need the measurements (width, depth, height) in any form (inches, mm, cm, whatever, cubits if that's what you got).  That way I can compare it to the one I am looking at, which will run Linux From Scratch and possibly WIndows 2000 if I can't avoid it.

The most important requirement, which this machine satisfies and I think the Amiga 3000 did too was quiet.  This one may do an even better job as it has no fans at all.  Yes!  Dead silence, it is a minimum requirement of any computer I buy from now on.

Strangedisk

Offline MrZammler

• Show only replies by MrZammler
Re: Dimensions of an Amiga 3000 in a desktop case?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 02:39:44 PM »
If no-one provides them by the end of the day, I'll measure up mine when I get home.
Anyway is the only way

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 02:48:44 PM »
Width 37cm/14.5"
Depth 39.5cm/15.5"
Height 11.5cm/4.5"

Could be a bit higher as I only have the
top part of the case.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 04:10:11 AM »
Thank you for the dimensions.  It turns out to be exactly the same width as the hush.  The hush is not quite as deep, and about half the height!  Very good.  Yes I've found my new machine.

Now I wonder if I can get BeOS to run on it?  Naturally, I will give it a try.  If so, that's my new OS/machine combonation.  BeOS has the nice distinction of having that "immediate responsiveness" and focus on multimedia that I liked from the Amiga, except of course it's quite a bit more capable in what types of media it can handle.  I even get that orphaned, on-my-own feeling! :)

Erik

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 04:33:50 AM »
Thank you for the dimensions. It turns out to be exactly the same width as the hush. The hush is not quite as deep, and about half the height! Very good. Yes I've found my new machine.

Keep in mind the keyboard, mouse and joystick ports are on the right-hand side, 2/3rds of the way back.  You need to allow for an extra inch or so of clearance, (and more than that if you plan on reaching back there, rather than the plug in, slide back) otherwise you'll have a nice snug fit with no way of actually getting any inputs.  ;-)

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 11:39:44 AM »

The most important requirement, which this machine satisfies and I think the Amiga 3000 did too was quiet.  This one may do an even better job as it has no fans at all.  Yes!  Dead silence, it is a minimum requirement of any computer I buy from now on.

You must've been lucky. My A3000 is very noisy. And since my current (Seagate) harddrive is even more noisy, I can't work on it for too long at a time.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2003, 04:26:43 AM »
It's also possible we are both speaking relatively.  The HushPC is quiet -- because it has no fan and has no vents (that noise can escape from), and has the quiestest harddrive now sold (seagate barracuda).  So I'm certain it's quiet.  But, (this is from memory) my Amiga 3000 I think was quieter for example than my current office PC, which is a Dell of some flavor, and makes about as much noise as you'd expect, one case fan, one power supply fan, averagely noisy harddrive, just sitting there whirring and whining at me.  

It's also possible that my toleration for noise is going down over the years!  I think I've always liked the idea of quiet equiptment though, my original computer (Atari 800) was absolutely quiet because it had no fans or harddrive, but the TV it was plugged into did whine with that high-pitched TV whine thing, which still bugs me to this day.  But my current monitor is an LCD and does not have that whine.  So I'm very much closer to a level of quiet I never did have, a totally quiet PC.  And it should even be able to run Amiga software (quietly) through UAE.  It's a nice situation, I think, Amiga software, even my old Atari 800 software, and using BeOS as my current OS.  There, computery heaven  :-P

Erik