Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A few questions regarding Winuae/AmigaForever  (Read 2119 times)

Description:

Offline ZildjianmeisterTopic starter

• Show only replies by Zildjianmeister
A few questions regarding Winuae/AmigaForever
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Hello,

I'm a newcomer to the Amiga world. A while back I posted that I was interested in getting into the Amiga hobby. I was looking at getting an A1200 or minimig. I had many helpful responses. However, for the short term with the holidays coming up and $$ I am going to try out emulation. I'm hoping you could help with a few questions.

Any suggestions on a good joystick/gamepad that would work well with winuae/AForever and a pc? I've seen that some like the competition pro usb joystick but also read some comments about it being slow or unresponsive.

Is Winuae video card reliant? I have a few machines I could try it on. Both machines have decent processor speeds and ram. One has a basic video, either on-board or a basic card, the other has a Radeon 9800 pro. Was curious if a powerful card is required.

Lastly, how well does Winuae work on a 24inch lcd widescreen monitor? Some day I'd like to get one. For now I'll be using a 20" lcd non widescreen 4:3 monitor. I know the 24s can handle some high resolutions. Does full screen mode work well, especially with widescreen? I havn't been able to find any screen shots of the various video modes.

Thank you for all your help!

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
Re: A few questions regarding Winuae/AmigaForever
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 05:29:41 PM »
Quote from: Zildjianmeister;526638
Hello,

I'm a newcomer to the Amiga world. A while back I posted that I was interested in getting into the Amiga hobby. I was looking at getting an A1200 or minimig. I had many helpful responses. However, for the short term with the holidays coming up and $$ I am going to try out emulation. I'm hoping you could help with a few questions.

Any suggestions on a good joystick/gamepad that would work well with winuae/AForever and a pc? I've seen that some like the competition pro usb joystick but also read some comments about it being slow or unresponsive.

Is Winuae video card reliant? I have a few machines I could try it on. Both machines have decent processor speeds and ram. One has a basic video, either on-board or a basic card, the other has a Radeon 9800 pro. Was curious if a powerful card is required.

Lastly, how well does Winuae work on a 24inch lcd widescreen monitor? Some day I'd like to get one. For now I'll be using a 20" lcd non widescreen 4:3 monitor. I know the 24s can handle some high resolutions. Does full screen mode work well, especially with widescreen? I havn't been able to find any screen shots of the various video modes.

Thank you for all your help!

It doesn't seem to be video card reliant.  It runs on a P3 1ghz machine with integrated video.  A laptop one!

for controllers , as far as im concerned, I think a PS2 controller with a USB adapter is the best thing ever.   The adapters are around 12$ and the controllers arent much more anymore.

and, monitor wise, it works great in full screen on a CRT, cant say much about an LCD though, I dont use em.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »
Arkhan,

Thank you for your response.
I've been searching in various sites and seems like a lot of opinions about joysticks and gamepads. Guess I'll have to try one on my own and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:35:46 AM »
Ive used both logitech dual action controllers, as well as a PS2 controller with a USB adapter and they both work fine. The PS2 controller is pretty much perfect.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:23:49 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone!

I just got the Amigaforever/Winuae package and playing around with it. Some things, being a complete Amiga newbie, I'm struggling with a little. :confused:

On the Amigaforever front end is there a way to stretch the windows in windowed mode?  I tried full screen but didn't think it looked that great.  I saw a "full windowed" option in Winuae thinking that maybe I could play around with that but got error message stating no rom file even though I had it.

I also tried to run the workbench full screen but that didn't work so well. I got it full screen when I lowered my laptop screen resolution to the lowest setting but it doesn't seem right. I see screenshots from others using winuae and the workbench looks great with nice resolutions.

Last but not least I was curious if there was a way to run the games, adf or whatever from the actual workbench. I may pick up a manual or something since I've never used Amiga before.

Thanks for all the help!

Offline skilgannon

• Show only replies by skilgannon
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:56:23 AM »
A good way to run games from the workbench is to get WHDLoad (lets you run games from the hard driv) and install it (you can download it from your PC and configure AF to show your PC drives in startup).  Once you have done that you can try and get WHDLoad versions of the games you used to like.  For instance - Ugh! is a favourite of mine but never available as a hard drive game - only adf.  WHDLoad version runs straight from the hard drive.  

Amiga forever also saves the state so anything you install in your WB session will be there when you go back to it.

That's games sorted, back to joysticks and I use the USB Comp Pro (Black with red buttons) and it's perfect :)  

Hope this helps a bit

John
I\'m an IK+ championship winning, goal scoring superstar hero ;)

C= Amiga 600, 3.1 ROM with ACA630, 2mb Chip, CF IDE, Easynet Wifi (once it all arrives!)
CD32; Commodore SX64; C64c, Sinclair QL; Sinclair Spectrum+; Sinclair ZX81; PS3; XBOX 360; Sega Saturn; Wii; NDS; PSP.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
If you have an xbox360 get a wired controller or the wireless reciever for the PC.  You can not beat the 360 controller
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline skilgannon

• Show only replies by skilgannon
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
Each to their own JJ but I find the XBOX 360 controller useless for games that require the digital precision required for say Kick off or Sensi
I\'m an IK+ championship winning, goal scoring superstar hero ;)

C= Amiga 600, 3.1 ROM with ACA630, 2mb Chip, CF IDE, Easynet Wifi (once it all arrives!)
CD32; Commodore SX64; C64c, Sinclair QL; Sinclair Spectrum+; Sinclair ZX81; PS3; XBOX 360; Sega Saturn; Wii; NDS; PSP.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »
Fair enough to be honest not tried it on winuae to be honest
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »
Thanks for all the responses! :)