Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPad 2  (Read 25875 times)

Description:

Offline persiaTopic starter

• Show only replies by persia
iPad 2
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »
The iPad two must be great, Apple had two self gradulatory videos in one announcement.  And no more one last thing!

Seriously, I'm in full tilt this time, 64Gb, wifi, GSM.  Comes out of my App store earnings...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline kolla

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »
But it is just as mindbogglingly dumb as the previous model though, and relies on a "real" computer for syncing data. The bluetooth implementation on apple gadgets are incredibly stupid done. Why does apple have to gain that I cannot send data between my ipad and my phone or desktop? Why is there no USB host adapter so I can dump images from my camera directly on to the ipad? No memory card reader? I don't get it. Also total lack of codecs, need to rely on crappy third party media players to play just about anything. And Apple keep removing those from app store as well. Nope, no more iBlarb for me, thanks.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 09:57:11 PM »
Something Steve Jobs said yesterday really hit home hard from my Amiga world view:

"This is worth repeating. It's in Apple's DNA that technology is not enough. It's tech married with the liberal arts and the humanities. Nowhere is that more true than in the post-PC products. Our competitors are looking at this like it's the next PC market. That is not the right approach to this. These are post-PC devices that need to be easier to use than a PC, more intuitive."

I have said something like Steve's last line about the Amiga:
"The hardware and software need to intertwine more than they do on a PC. We think we're on the right path with this."

Offline espskog

• Show only replies by espskog
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
Quote from: kolla;619388
But it is just as mindbogglingly dumb as the previous model though, and relies on a "real" computer for syncing data. The bluetooth implementation on apple gadgets are incredibly stupid done. Why does apple have to gain that I cannot send data between my ipad and my phone or desktop? Why is there no USB host adapter so I can dump images from my camera directly on to the ipad? No memory card reader? I don't get it. Also total lack of codecs, need to rely on crappy third party media players to play just about anything. And Apple keep removing those from app store as well. Nope, no more iBlarb for me, thanks.

I aggree. I give my thumbs up for any Android tab's anytime....

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 10:00:04 PM »
@Kolla you are thinking of the iPad like it's a "PC" device... It isn't, the average Joe on the street really doesn't care about all that tech stuff... And that I guess is why iPads sell and other tablets don't!

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
It's tech married with the liberal arts and the humanities.

What a load of rubbish. It's married with telling people what they want and need and then marketing it very successfully. I'd have far more respect for the company if they just said it like it is. They have long since surpassed Microsoft's darkest ambitions for completely controlling what their users do (and can do) with their products.

As it stands, if apple were smote from the face of the Earth tomorrow by a vengeful God, I'd not shed a single tear :lol:
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;619394
What a load of rubbish. It's married with telling people what they want and need and then marketing it very successfully.

Don't confuse your dislike of their content vendor practices, cloud your view of their very tightly designed hardware and software solution.

I'd have far more respect for the company if they just said it like it is. They have long since surpassed Microsoft's darkest ambitions for completely controlling what their users do (and can do) with their products.

That's harsh, we have plenty of evidence that Microsft were actually guilty of anticompetitive practices... If you don't like Apple, don't buy thir products, there are plenty of other solutions... I would suggest, less elegant solutions ;)

As it stands, if apple were smote from the face of the Earth tomorrow by a vengeful God, I'd not shed a single tear :lol:

Since I'm not aware of any non vengeful Gods, I'm sure you can find one to pray to, who will make this happen for you :)

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »
I got four ruddy emails from Apple in the past 24 hours about this poxy iPad 2 thingy... :madashell:

When they gonna understand I don't want to buy such a useless piece of crap, despite me telling them so in numerous emails, do the numpties at Apple not understand plain Scottish when I tell them their stuff is overpriced and a total load of keech... :(

Need to send another email again now and ask them to stop trying to sell me junk that I don't want... buggers... :furious:

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;619392
@Kolla you are thinking of the iPad like it's a "PC" device... It isn't, the average Joe on the street really doesn't care about all that tech stuff... And that I guess is why iPads sell and other tablets don't!

Apple dropped the "Computer" not only from it´s name. It is not the "PC" as in "IBM compatible" that the iPad is different from - the iPad is no computer. Neither is the iPhone. Of course it´s got all the hardware it would need to be a computer, but the software is as locked down as in a DSLR or other apliance. Sure you can get Apps, but the user is not supposed to do arbitrary calculations, simulations or mathematical research and analysis on that machine. The user is not supposed to run a ray-tracing package or do serious processing. Apple prevents those things without even realizing it.

That´s why this device is appealing to the general public but extremely boring and frustrating for people who like computers.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:30:26 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;619402

That´s why this device is appealing to the general public but extremely boring and frustrating for people who like computers.

Bingo! :) the iPad isn't for boring computer tasks, it's a consumer device... Execpt for people like Motorollin and me who like to program these devices and therefore get the benefit of both sides of the equation ;)

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 10:31:54 PM »
No USB ports and no memory card slots?
Thanks but no thanks.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 10:34:26 PM »
The iPad 2 looks like a nice device. That being said the WiFi on my iPhone 3GS is already flaking out and it's not even two years old.

:(

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »
Quote from: X-ray;619405
No USB ports and no memory card slots?
Thanks but no thanks.
Not sure if it affects your argument, but the iPad camera connection kit is a simple USB adaptor for the 30pin iPod connector... So if you really want USB it's there... :)

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 10:36:31 PM »
Overpriced piece of crap!

Time for my rant. Everytime i see someone using an Apple product i never look at them the same way again. I use an iphone/imac therefore i am an elitist. Just because someone uses Apple doesn't make them smarter than everyone else. That is all.

Also about the media player. The Apple won't let you use it because they don't own it :)

@bloodline. You are obviously an Apple fanboy. So does Master Steve Gobs own your abused sock or does he use his own? :roflmao:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 10:41:26 PM by Kesa »
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 10:54:08 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;619410
Overpriced piece of crap!

The iPad is the cheapest of the tablets... But if you want something like a netbook or a £300 laptop then it is over priced.

Time for my rant. Everytime i see someone using an Apple product i never look at them the same way again. I use an iphone/imac therefore i am an elitist. Just because someone uses Apple doesn't make them smarter than everyone else. That is all.

Have to say, but most people who buy macs do so because they don't care about the hardware/looking smart/etc... They just want something that works... That's why I bought a mac... I don't feel superior or smarter I just don't have to worry about my system doing something weird when I need to rely on it.

Also about the media player. The Apple won't let you use it because they don't own it :)

@bloodline. You are obviously an Apple fanboy. So does Master Steve Gobs own your abused sock or does he own yours? :roflmao:

:) yeah, I'm probably an Apple fanboy, not as much as I am an Amiga fanboy (the platform's been dead for 20 years and I'm still here!)... But really I just like the tight integration of hardware and software... For a few years I made my living using Macs running MacOSX with Apple's Logic Pro... (While selling my work via iTunes!) A complete apple solution which didn't give me any problems (unlike my previous Windows setup)...

I find myself coming to depend on my ability to write Apps for devices like the iPhone and the iPad to make ends meet... Apple make it really really easy for small developers like us to get our software to over 100 million users... So he'll yeah, I'm into that :)