Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weeee, got me a Dreamcast.  (Read 3472 times)

Description:

Offline Gav

• Show only replies by Gav
Re: Dreamcast, what's the going rate for em.
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2004, 09:59:36 PM »
Yeah there is mp3 players on it and i think mpg player also???Quake 1 and half life are also around there on the net.
Its emulation of sega megadrive/genesis is pretty good also but mame just kills it really.
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline Gav

• Show only replies by Gav
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2004, 10:00:59 PM »
Just as amigean wrote it uses a gd rom but you can burn cd roms and they run fine on it..
A1200,BPPC603e+@240mhz-060@50mhz/Scsi2 192mb,Powerflyer,Mediator SX,Voodoo 3000,SB128,Tv card,SD/FF,Ethernet,CDRW.

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »
You need the Euphoria boot CD rom to play backup disks (legal ones only of course), im not sure if you need it to play the MPEG players that are out there.

IIRC didnt the Euphoria disk have a mirror spinning raindeer in it?

LoL!
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline odinTopic starter

• Colonization had Galleons
    • Show only replies by odin
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2004, 10:48:22 PM »
According to Wikipedia very late Dreamcasts were unable to boot 'custom' CD's, i.e. when they realised they were losing a lot to piracy.

Is this true? Do late Dreamcasts need to be 'modded'?

Offline amigean

• Show only replies by amigean
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2004, 11:30:19 PM »
Back in 2002 whether there are some dreamcasts that CAN'T play copied games had been a subject of controversy in the dreamcast community . There was a lot of people that claimed all dreamcasts can play any cd-rom you can throw at them and another lot of people claiming that they were sure they have seen dreamcasts that have some mysterious copy-lock.

To my recollection, the debate lasted a while, but no conclusive proof was ever presented that in fact there are DCs that are copy-locked. :-?

So chances are that if they do exist they are extremely rare. I have owned three of them (bought in two different countries) and all of them have been able to boot off and play normal CD-Rs.

-With regards to the sega web browser - let's say it was never the best, it just got the job done.

Recently, a bunch of nice people came up with a homebrew internet solution for the dreamcast, incl. browser, irc client and maybe more (I never got the time to try it).

It is called "psilocybindreams" and you can donwload an iso of it from http://www.psilocybindreams.com/ (totally legal)

You can find other interesting freeware games, emulators (ScummVM, SNES, Genesis, GBA etc) in the following websites:

http://www.dcemulation.com/
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/  

For some weird reason (probably to do with overcoming GD-rom sensitivities) you'll have to use a pc cd-burning software called "Diskjuggler"

Oh and a bit of advice, burn all your CDs at low speeds (x2-x8). Dreamcasts can be picky with data-error prone CD-Rs (which is what happens when you burn a CD at a speed say >x24)

I'm no big fan of DC but my 5 y.o. brother really appreciates it. :lol:

I hope this helps!

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2004, 12:35:00 AM »
Dreamcast - the most fun, fantastic games console to emerge from the last 5 years.
I bought mine in March 2001 just after Sega stopped producing them, thinking it would still have a nice future of software, sort of like the Amiga did when Commodore went.. but I was wrong. 18 months later there were no new UK releases, the Dreamcast as terms of new softwsare went was dead.

However, some of the most fun gaming experiences I've had have been on that console, and there are still some amazing games out for it, and yes, even th graphics can appear amazing after all this time.
You can play copied software on it without any modifications to the console.

Both additional hardware and software is cheap as chips, thanks to it not being a mainstream console anymore.

All Dreamcasts came with Dreamkey, Internet browsing software, and built in 56k modem. With a cheap Dreamcast keyboard and mouse you have a good games machine and virus free web surfing machine. albeit a slow internet machine thanks to the modem.

Despite the default format for software being GD (Gigabyte Disk), endorsed only through Sega, copied games usually get crammed onto CD-R's. Because these games are no longer made, it doesnt really matter about piracy. With some experience I have had, copied games sometimes miss out levels or FMV scenes so they can fit on a disk. But I didn't really find this too bad of a problem.

I stupidly sold my Dreamcast in early 2002 after getting a PlayStation 2. I regret it to hell now, it was much more fun. The Dreamcast had better graphics imho, much sharper and more vibrant. The PS2 had more power, software and a bright future, but my experience has proved to me that doesn't really mean anything. If I had the choice now, I would have kept the Dreamcast. Sometimes I think about getting another one again.
I sold my Dreamcast in early 2002 for £120 with about 10 games, some demos and some copies and magazines..
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2004, 01:22:32 AM »
Hasn't there been some new games published in SouthEast Asia?

I've got the 'Blaze' MP3 player/cheat black CD, it works ok.  I've also got Wolfenstein burnt, and it works ok.  I thought any CD burning program should make all ISO images the same (?) I did Wolfenstein on Nero, but it's only one floppies worth :-)
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline HopperJF

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2004, 01:53:04 AM »
Yes but I was talking about in the UK  :-)

Offline Targhan

• Show only replies by Targhan
    • http://www.geocities.com/targhan_aga
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2004, 05:08:28 AM »
Sonic Team (Sega) released a special edition of PuyoPuyo for Dreamcast a few months ago, and there are still some third party companies creating JP releases.  Also, a homebrew recently became a commercial title.  There is still a bit of life left in the old girl, and with a boot disk--one could catch some nifty re-releases coming out of Japan.

I've used several of the emulators for the DC, and have been pleased. Since I'm big into fansub anime stuff, DCDivX is my preferred method of getting digisubs to the television.  (The big thing on fansubs is to remember to STOP distribution if a title becomes licenced! It's the golden rule.)  DCDivX is great, since a thirty minute animation can be squeezed down to ~60M.  With the player, boot images stuff, and menu art--the disk can usually hold about 4.5 - 5.5 hours of video on a regular 700M CDR!

Finally, there is a VERY NICE zone-free VCD player (includes mp3 player) with remote for the dreamcast (commercial).

The Dreamcast is this generation's Amiga. (Died before it's time, and has a strong loyal following that will not let it just vanish.)
Regards,
Targhan

Offline lempkee

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2004, 07:10:55 AM »
just a small correction, u can burn dc images on AMIGA and u dont need a pc for it.

i use my a1200 to burn bootable iso\s , and i can fix non bootable ones into bootable by generating a new track in the respected regions on the cd, basic stuff and im sure everyone here can do it.

a small note is that u will need fryingpan asmakecd seems to be rather ignorant against dc, burnit works ok'ish but sadly not good enough.

check out the sourceforge tool called CDTOOLS and check out FRYINGPAN ....

btw,,DC ROXX

ps:propeller arena and ikaruga and puyo puyo fever is the latest commercial titles that i know of, non commercials ones that i like is "beats of rage" and ALICE is quite good too..

Whats up with all the hate!

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2004, 07:44:56 AM »
Wow,

I think I have to be the biggest dreamcast fan ever!  :-D

As of today I am amazed how Soul Calibur was made possible on the dreamcast. Gfx are just killer amazing!  :-)

But enough of my blabbing.. Dreamcast's are usually under $50 each anymore.  Definately worth the money if your looking for a few fun games or are just curious of them.

I currenly play Phantasy Star Online for the PC 'ONLINE'

*Yes, for those of you who dont know, SCHTHACK made his own private servers and works great.  :-D *

But I also want the Dreamcast version of PSO because you can play it online along with PC users.  THere is a bit trick behind it for the dreamcast, but its possible..

Broadband adapters go for a ridiculous prices right now since they are near impossible to find, but if you are hardcore enough and really need it, then it would be worth buying.

Dreamcast lived its life, but to me, it still rules any other console.  :-P

Cheers@
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline HopperJF

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2004, 11:57:34 AM »

kd7ota wrote:
Wow,

I think I have to be the biggest dreamcast fan ever!  :-D

As of today I am amazed how Soul Calibur was made possible on the dreamcast. Gfx are just killer amazing!  :-)

But enough of my blabbing.. Dreamcast's are usually under $50 each anymore.  Definately worth the money if your looking for a few fun games or are just curious of them.

I currenly play Phantasy Star Online for the PC 'ONLINE'

*Yes, for those of you who dont know, SCHTHACK made his own private servers and works great.  :-D *

But I also want the Dreamcast version of PSO because you can play it online along with PC users.  THere is a bit trick behind it for the dreamcast, but its possible..

Broadband adapters go for a ridiculous prices right now since they are near impossible to find, but if you are hardcore enough and really need it, then it would be worth buying.

Dreamcast lived its life, but to me, it still rules any other console.  :-P

Cheers@

Absolutely!!!!

:pint:

Offline graffias79

• Show only replies by graffias79
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2004, 03:01:32 PM »

kd7ota wrote:

...As of today I am amazed how Soul Calibur was made possible on the dreamcast. Gfx are just killer amazing!  :-)...

I couldn't agree more.  I remember seeing the arcade machine and thinking Wow thats in low resolution!  They could actually make the DC version with IMPROVED graphics!  That impressed me immediately about the DC.  I still impress other people with the gfx in that game.  When I bought my DC I also bought Sonic Adventure,   Soul Calibur, a 2nd controller and a VMU.  Those VMUs are another story altogether, what a great idea!  About a year ago I picked up Phantasy Star online from a used software store here in town for $8!  I remember paying $40 for the original Crazy Taxi, but paying $5 for Crazy Taxi 2 at walmart in their bargain bin.  It sucks so much that the console's life was truncated so quickly when you think the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive to some of you :-) ) lasted about 8-9 years.  I remember games for it coming out as early as 1988 and late as 1997.  That won't happen any more I bet!

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2004, 03:56:08 PM »
What's the usual res for games on this thing btw? 640*4xx ?

-edit-

Are there any issues getting a unit from the USA (other than NTSC, I've got an NTSC capable TV). Is the PSU integrated in the thing? Are they both 220V/110V compatible?

Offline FuZion

• Show only replies by FuZion
    • http://www.deceptiveaudio.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2004, 04:32:04 PM »
@Odin

Nice move son. The Dreamcast is a great machine. I have one with Shenmue 1 & 2, Dead or Alive 2, Quake 3, Sonic Adventure 2, Soul Calibur & Virtua Tennis 2, Sega Smash Pack Vol 1 & Sports Jam... All fantastic games. Other good uns I have are House of the Dead 2, Jet Set Radio, Le Mans 24 Hours.

I got Joypads on eBay for around £15-£20 a pair iirc.

I've heard that you can get an ethernet adaptor to replace the modem but it's VERY rare. I haven't got a clue where you can get hold of one & if tyou do find one. I doubt it'll be cheap.

FuZion.

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 06, 2004, 04:49:35 PM »
Here's an ethernet adapter at 30 pounds with 5 days to go  :-o.