Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple's iPad 2 is the 'Holy Grail' of computing  (Read 17096 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Re: Apple's iPad 2 is the 'Holy Grail' of computing
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 02:46:54 AM »
Quote from: Pyromania;622370
Everyone keeps bragging about the record sales of the iPad & iPad 2 but the MaxiPad has been outselling the iPad for years and will continue to do so long into the future. Plus you will always find them in stock at any grocery store.

Im not sure which disturbs me more, all the Apple talk, or the fact youre keeping track of MaxiPad sales  ;)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline amigakid

• Show only replies by amigakid
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 03:13:14 AM »
Quote from: Pyromania;622370
Everyone keeps bragging about the record sales of the iPad & iPad 2 but the MaxiPad has been outselling the iPad for years and will continue to do so long into the future. Plus you will always find them in stock at any grocery store.

HAHA now that's classic.  I don't like all this talk about Apple all the time on Cnet and everywhere else, but especially on an Amiga site, but I gotta say this is the best post I have seen about the Ipad.  Maybe if Apple bought the MaxiPad, stuck an Apple logo on it then those millions of Sheep would buy those off the shelf too.

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 10:46:21 AM »
In the words of freddie.

Flash !......    Arrrr! Arrrrrrr!
half the internet, doesn't work......!

Offline dentunes

• Show only replies by dentunes
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 11:00:53 AM »
Quote from: gertsy;622419
In the words of freddie.

Flash !......    Arrrr! Arrrrrrr!
half the internet, doesn't work......!
I wonder how much of that is still true. Many sites over the lat year have moved from Flash for their video when browsing on an iPad/iPhone.

Of that "half" what proportion of that are simply Ads? That I can personally do without.

I will agree there are sites I go to and Flash stops me from seeing the content. The actual number of sites this happens at is nowhere near half, that I browse to. YMMV
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 11:22:48 AM »
I've been a long time anti-flash person... So I don't miss it at all, I have ClickToFlash installed on my Mac and that blocks out all unwanted flash, which are just adverts for sexual performance enhancing pills I'm not interested in anyway :)

HTML5 is better by a long shot :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »
t html5 isn't preventive, Flash is everywhere.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 11:08:38 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;622372
Im not sure which disturbs me more, all the Apple talk, or the fact youre keeping track of MaxiPad sales  ;)

But does rubbing your finger over an installed MAXiPAD leave it all greasy?
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;622424
I've been a long time anti-flash person... So I don't miss it at all, I have ClickToFlash installed on my Mac and that blocks out all unwanted flash, which are just adverts for sexual performance enhancing pills I'm not interested in anyway :)

Nowt personal but from you pic and your music career I'd have put you down as the type who enjoyed flashing... ;)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »
So says Computerworld!

The iPodTouchJumbo (aka iPad 2) certainly is a "Holy Grail", insofar it's an object of deep religious significance to a particular crowd, coveted and heralded by acolytes worldwide.

Honestly, though, who really gives a distended rats rectum about it? It's this seasons utterly pointless "must have gadget", soon to be replaced with one that's even bettar [ sic ]!

After asking people repeatedly what was so ground breaking about it and how it would transform their computing experience or enable them to do something they couldn't already do perfectly well before, all I got that stood out was "It can be used as a replacement for sheet music on stage".

Some time ago, someone here coined the term "Macsturbation". I cite the OP as an example par excellence.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 11:36:44 PM »
As for the calls for "no more apple/pc" threads, well this is the "other operating systems" section. Uses of said alternative systems should be free to fire away, nobody is forcing anybody to read threads here.

Personally, I quite like reading how excited people get by repeated iterations of existing devices running the world's most special-needs, crippled Unix distribution (posix compliance standards must have fallen a long way). There aren't many others that can be crashed by purely user-space processes. You know, like teh evil Flash, the "number one reason why macs crash". Arf!

:roflmao:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:43:23 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline Franko

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 11:42:37 PM »
Just realised how stupid the star rating system is on this site for threads, this thread about crapple has a one star rating, now to the casual observer this would make this thread look good (as it at least has a star, while the vast majority don't)

However one star according to the ratings means this thread is "terrible" bit daft if you ask me giving something a star to show that it's terrible... :insane:

Whomever came up with this system of ratings should be taken round the back and shot (or at least slapped around the head a wee bit until they see stars...) :D

Offline nicholas

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 11:58:14 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;622424

Good luck finding a "HTML5Block" plugin.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 12:10:21 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;622653

Probably easy enough to block et al.
int p; // A

Offline Franko

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 12:15:59 AM »
Quote from: Karlos;622642
As for the calls for "no more apple/pc" threads, well this is the "other operating systems" section. Uses of said alternative systems should be free to fire away, nobody is forcing anybody to read threads here.

True, but they should have a health warning on them and only be allowed to show up between the hours of 3am & 5am and hidden away on another site altogether... :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;622653
It's not the adverts I object to, if I see an ad that interests me, the I will click it. I like ad supported software/web sites... What I object to is the advert running the battery of my device flat in an hour... With click to flash installed my laptop's run time is almost three times longer when surfing! (I accept that the mac version of flash is crap, but I don't doubt Windows and Linux users would also see battery life improvements as well). Html5, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have much impact on CPU usage at all... HTML5 adverts are welcome on my browser :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #29 from previous page: March 18, 2011, 12:24:23 AM »
Quote from: Franko;622659
True, but they should have a health warning on them and only be allowed to show up between the hours of 3am & 5am and hidden away on another site altogether... :)
Ya can't live in a bubble, there is a whole world out there and it is made much more interesting by diversity... As much as I am happy with my crApple iDevices I wouldn't want the whole world using them (unless they all were going to buy my apps ;) ), I'm glad Apple have to compete with Google!