Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I got a flatscreen! What to do with CRT monitor?  (Read 322 times)

Description:

Offline AndyFCTopic starter

I got a flatscreen! What to do with CRT monitor?
« on: June 07, 2015, 10:15:01 AM »
My in-laws have passed on a flat screen TV. It has SCART, VGA and HDMI connectors so I thought I'd test it with my A1200. The result is a great picture even up to Super Hi-Res-laced. Shapeshifter and PC-Task all run flicker free. I'm really pleased. (If anyone's bothered, it's a Tesco Tecknika 19".)

The questions is: What to do with my Phillips CM-8833 Mk2. Should I keep it for 'authenticity' or sell it? The power switch takes a few presses to turn on/off (I think the spring has gone) but other than that it's fine.

Is there a market for this?
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro

Offline AdelaideAmiga

• Show only replies by AdelaideAmiga
Re: I got a flatscreen! What to do with CRT monitor?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »
Hi Andy,

Yes, there are certainly people interested in those screens.  It's really up to you what you wish to do with it.  The thing about those monitors are that they are much more portable than televisions and useful if you have to attend an Amiga meeting or if you wish to show your system off at your friends/relatives house.

Kind regards,

George

Offline mechy

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »
Always keep a crt as a backup. Never know when you will need it.

Offline hishamk

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 04:05:16 PM »
You never know - 20 years down the line their might be CRT enthusiasts just as there are vinyl and tube amp enthusiasts today. It's just so more analog. :D
2x A1000, 2x A2000, 1x A3000, 4x A1200, 3x A500, 1x CDTV, 1x CD32, 2x Pegasos II, 1x EFIKA

guest7146

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Definitely keep it.  Flat screen digital monitors are great for workbench, but they're not so good for games.  The problem is that the display is *too* good! Far too crisp and clean.  CRTs have a more forgiving display for old games.

Offline carvedeye

• Show only replies by carvedeye
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »
Quote from: AndyFC;790736
If anyone's bothered, it's a Tesco Tecknika 19"

I am a Tesco Tech Support Advisor for my local a store and Technika TV's are great as they are made with branded parts, The screens are made by Samsung and everything else is Toshiba, i have 2 Technika TV's connected to both my 1200's and they work grerat :)
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3

Offline Tenacious

• Show only replies by Tenacious
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 04:54:43 AM »
Quote from: hishamk;790750
You never know - 20 years down the line their might be CRT enthusiasts just as there are vinyl and tube amp enthusiasts today. It's just so more analog. :D

There definitely will be, especially since there was a steep cutoff in their manufacture.  Old movies and TV shows will be dated by this transition.  ;)

You pegged me.  I accumulated those things and also classic analog meters, slide rules, kerosene lanterns, Hp & TI calculators, books made from paper, a 66 year old tractor (wish I could afford steam and Sterling), and tools powered by hand.  :)

@ Andy
If you have inexpensive (free), out of sight storage, I would certainly keep it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 05:07:44 AM by Tenacious »

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 01:50:35 PM »
Quote from: hishamk;790750

There already are, in fact go to pretty much any retro gaming site or forum and you'll find hundreds of people asking for CRT advice.  They still are the best way to use older systems.

There's pretty much daily threads on 4chan's VR retro gaming section about CRTs:

http://boards.4chan.org/vr/thread/2437383/crt-thread-2-tired-4-puns

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »
Quote from: AppleHammer;790753
Definitely keep it.  Flat screen digital monitors are great for workbench, but they're not so good for games.  The problem is that the display is *too* good! Far too crisp and clean.  CRTs have a more forgiving display for old games.

Totally, I find Amiga games are next to unplayable on an LCD.  I tried several different LCDs before I dug my old CRT out again, you can see a comparison with a Samsung LCD and my Philips CM8833-II here:

https://youtu.be/v3SZkjF1RDI?t=5m24s

Skip to 5:24 for the comparison.

guest7146

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »
Quote from: danwood;790806
Totally, I find Amiga games are next to unplayable on an LCD.

I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as to say they're unplayable, but I'm pretty close to your point of view.

It's definitely worth holding on to a CRT if you have one.

By the way, yours is the best Amiga & retro computing You Tube channel in my opinion - keep it going! :)