Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 Rev 1D.1 clockport header incorrectly installed  (Read 363 times)

Description:

Offline GraumannTeagueTopic starter

• Show only replies by GraumannTeague
A1200 Rev 1D.1 clockport header incorrectly installed
« on: January 05, 2015, 11:57:43 AM »
Hi all,

I got my Rapid Road USB (clockport version) today for my A1200, and have spent the afternoon installing it. It's all working great now, but I ran into some issues that complicated the install a bit.

It appears my A1200 motherboard had the clockport header installed in the wrong place! The 22-pin header in P9B had been installed at the crystal end, and not the end closest to the trapdoor slot.

As I didn't have any spare header pins handy, and my nearest electronics shop only had 0.1" pitch DIL headers (the clockport uses a finer pitch), I decided to desolder the existing header and install it in the correct place. This involved flux, PCB cleaner, solder wick, a hot air SMD rework tool, tweezers, and some cursing when the header finally came free of the board, sans one pin :furious:

In the end, I got that pin back in the plastic housing, and it seems to have worked out. I just though I'd make people aware that this seems to be an issue with some Rev 1D.1 boards, at least - Googling shows a few other people have reported this.

If you're considering buying a clockport peripheral, it may be worth checking that your clockport is actually in the right place first :)

Cheers!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: A1200 Rev 1D.1 clockport header incorrectly installed
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 12:07:49 PM »
Quote from: GraumannTeague;781069
It appears my A1200 motherboard had the clockport header installed in the wrong place! The 22-pin header in P9B had been installed at the crystal end, and not the end closest to the trapdoor slot.

This is a known issue with some A1200 motherboards.  Kudos to you for being able to solve it so easily, I know I'd be chewing all my fingernails off if I had to do this much soldering on an A1200 motherboard!  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos