Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: for the record  (Read 6900 times)

Description:

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
Re: for the record
« Reply #44 from previous page: September 23, 2014, 02:37:00 AM »
Does it make you feel like a big man when you wave the banhammer around and jabber about how big and impressive it is, J-Golden? Do you get a little thrill deep inside when you prance around like a hyperactive collie telling those sheep what's what? Do you feel like it's such a big accomplishment that you go around starting threads about it so everyone can appreciate how mighty you are?

Screw it, I'm out of here. A whole succession of owners have already run this site into the ground, the moderation seems to be getting increasingly arbitrary and possibly even kowtowing to one person's interests over the actual good of the community, and asking for any measure of assurance that there is still a fair and just system in place just gets you nasty looks, condescending lectures, and threats of the Dread Banhammer. Aorg is a shell of what it was even two years ago, to say nothing of what it used to be when I joined, and EAB, Lemon, and Amibay are all still out there for people who actually care more about the Amiga than about Amigakit. See ya 'round, guys.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Manu

• Show only replies by Manu
    • http://www.cartoonspace.net
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »
Actually it's not only this site. The whole Amiga thing is coming closer to an end all the time. It's a natural cause, less people is involved with this rare species called Amiga & variants. When you check these sites daily you easily get blind. In 10 years time Amiga.org wiill be like a desert and probably AmigaWorld too, EAB will be the last outpost.

You read it here first. ;)
AmigaOS or MorphOS on x86 would sell orders of magnitude more than the current, hardware-intensive solutions. And they\\\'d go faster. --D.Haynie

Offline James2002

• Show only replies by James2002
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 06:11:07 PM »
Everybody wants something to complain about. But nobody wants to experience things.  
 1. I was a board member on gaming site that no longer exist.
 2. I was a super moderator for another  gaming forum.
 I really think that some of you have never really experience what some of us have.
 3. I did have my own forum for little awhile but it was not busy enough to keep it open.

You have to worry about legal things. We don't need lawsuits. It a lot better to talk with the mod in private than making it everybody business. On the forum I was board member on they didn't put up with that.

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 09:22:36 PM »
The silliness continues unabated...all this melodrama is entirely disproportionate to the actual size of amiga land.
Can someone change the name of this forum to Amigaland.org:hammer::laugh1:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
Quote from: wrath of khan;773762
The silliness continues unabated...all this melodrama is entirely disproportionate to the actual size of amiga land.
Can someone change the name of this forum to Amigaland.org:hammer::laugh1:
how about "as the boing ball turns?" :lol:

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 10:12:45 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;773764
how about "as the boing ball turns?" :lol:

-- eliyahu

This one has my vote!
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2014, 02:42:37 AM »
Quote from: J-Golden;773765
This one has my vote!
Sounds like a plan!:laugh1:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2014, 09:21:19 PM »
Quote from: itix;773689
Quote from: amigakit;773686
After just reviewing what you originally posted as news item, I do not think think that this is worthy to be approved as a news release.  It should be just a forum discussion thread.  

We are trying to raise the standards of news items here and encourage them as more formal press releases.

That is an oxymoron... There are unfortunately few if not many "Amiga" companies trying to promote their "news" with formal press releases which make them look like clowns.

*Amen* brother! "Little people" in a hobby community that's *mentally* sitting on high horses writing Microsoft style PR's has always been laughable... :roflmao:

Well, on this subject, some time ago I posted a few news items that I thought would be of public interest; a new version of mplayer for MorphOS as well as the public availability of the fourth beta of E-UAE with PPC JIT for MorphOS. Both were news items about very important MorphOS SW, definitely (IMHO at least) worthy a "heads up" in the news flow!

When time went by and it didn't pop up in the news, and other stuff popped up instead, I made forum posts of it instead.

I also want to point out that those *accepted* news items that followed wasn't exactly written as "formal Press Releases" either.

And neither is this one, approved just the other day: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68050
:confused:

@eliyahu

If users can trust moderators and site owners or other moderators don't know what is going on.... How can you let site run like this? Should not you communicate with each other? Apparently every moderator is having his own opinion what is good and bad and some just lose their temper. Looks like owners don't care anymore.

Maybe they run their shop like this, too.

(Edit: this site is front end to AmigaKit store. Think that.)

*Amen* brother #2!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2014, 09:10:48 AM »
Quote from: amigakit;773670
@Kickstart

Regarding the Cammy thread:

I have already explained the reasons for it being unapproved and locked, here it is again:

One of the problems was that thread had personal sensitive information in it, once you unapprove it from view, only the moderators can see it and not the general users.  Of course before I unapproved it, I entered the reasons for doing it.

Thanks for the update on that.

As to "News" items being "formal press releases", I've gotta say that's a bit of a long bow.  Do you need to be a corporation or business to issue a press release?
How about you create a category called "Official Press Releases Only" if you want that category.  News by it's defined category is "News and Community Information"  and then "Announcements and Press Releases  (General announcements as documented) That sounds open to me.

Isn't it normal practice to move the thread to the correct category rather than closing the thread (If that's what happened). That's what Karlos would have done. (But then he is a qualified Sockologist)

Offline hceline

• Show only replies by hceline
    • http://there-is-no-governor-anywhere.new-haven.org/
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2014, 07:23:39 AM »
Quote from: yssing;773597
You have to respect ownership and IP's.
"

Problem is that this respect of the IP-"owners"* is outright destructive to the m68k-Amiga-community. Best example are how those who try to upgrade the OS by disassembly, whitch is perfectly legal in many countries, gets banned from forum after forum with reason: Because it is illegal.

*I use; "owners", and not; owners, because of the muddled legal history of the IP claimed to belong to Amiga Inc. And that said; it really baffles me, that companies claiming to support the Amiga-community, keeps supporting these IP-claims.
Hagbard Celine

I reject your reality,
and substitute my own.

Offline kjmann

• Amiga Enthusiest
    • Show only replies by kjmann
for the record
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »
I think this thread has run it's course.
Systems:
A500 (Originally purchased new 1989) - 3.1 ROM, 2meg Chip, 68k cpu
A500+ 3.1 ROM, 2meg Chip, 8meg Fast, 68EC020 @ 28mhz, CF Slot, SD Slot. (Classic 520 accelerator board)