Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I don't know how to use the new amiga.org! :-o  (Read 5075 times)

Description:

Offline VanillaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vanilla
I don't know how to use the new amiga.org! :-o
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »
I'm sorry but I just can't work this site out. Soneone said once that amiga.org had to go CSS to avoid modern hacking techniques but I find the result impossible! It all looks nice but I just can't work out how to do anything on it.

One thing is searching; I went to search here when I was on another machine (unlogged in) and was presented with a question.  As I wasn't logged in I understood it though it did seem extreme as other sites let you use their search engine without passing a phrase test. But today I was logged in and it still asks me a question! What the?! As a user why aren't I allow to freely search?

Another thing is tracking down my own threads. On other sites there is uusally a button I can press and I can get a list of my recent threads and posts. but here I am totally lost. There doesn't seem to be an account section where all this info is printed on one page. What is the standard way of doing this?

Finally trying to reply to posts has got me beat. I have used other modern CSS forums and usually you can drag select a section and press the Quote button. but here I see no such thing! The Quick Reply doesn't work for me as the "@User" isn't pasted in. And using "Quote message in reply?" didn't paste any quote in either. The other Quote just quotes the whole message forcing me to copy and paste quote codes by hand. Now this doesn't seem very modern!

I looked on site for instructions but none could tell me how to do normal stuff and reply to people. There were no examples. How on earth do I reply to a post and be able to quote and respond to different sections of text? It's got me beat! :-?
Welcome Vanilla. To your continuing tour of duty. :-)
 :angel:

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: I don't know how to use the new amiga.org! :-o
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:57:35 AM »
Hmmm, Id be keen if Wayne would increase the level of quote nesting... it is hard to keep track of comments as currently only one level of quoting is allowed, but default... I know the "Multi Quote" is supposed to mitigate that, but honestly Multiquote is useless :)

Offline VanillaTopic starter

• Show only replies by Vanilla
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:39:14 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;518581
Hmmm, Id be keen if Wayne would increase the level of quote nesting... it is hard to keep track of comments as currently only one level of quoting is allowed, but default... I know the "Multi Quote" is supposed to mitigate that, but honestly Multiquote is useless :)
I've found another annoying thing. It let me start replying to a post then when I went to submit it said I wasn't logged in! What the? I was using OWB and tried to go back. It prevented me and said I wasn't logged in. So I logged in with the hope that it would have saved my post. It DELETED it!!! Mongrel!!

Had I been able to use IBrowse I simply could have gone back. I don't trust these supossedly modern CSS browsers and web sites!

Why did it log me out?! I can't work like this, not being able to trust my computer because it might freeze or crash is one thing, but loosing data to an ignorant website is another. I've never trusted typing on forums, too many things can go wrong. I only trust email where it can be saved and usually is in case of emergency and can be progressively editied. Nor forum, no matter how good can offer anything like that.
Welcome Vanilla. To your continuing tour of duty. :-)
 :angel:

Offline Cammy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »
Quote from: Vanilla;518582
I've found another annoying thing. It let me start replying to a post then when I went to submit it said I wasn't logged in! What the? I was using OWB and tried to go back. It prevented me and said I wasn't logged in. So I logged in with the hope that it would have saved my post. It DELETED it!!! Mongrel!!

Had I been able to use IBrowse I simply could have gone back. I don't trust these supossedly modern CSS browsers and web sites!

I spent over an hour typing up a huge post listing all the recent software that has been released for classic Amigas and got this exact same problem! So after I clicked back, my message was gone too! And this WAS in IBROWSE!!! I don't think it's the CSS that does that, I think it's Javascript. In any case, I know I should have saved the message on the hard drive before I submitted it, but it really crushed my spirits and made me not want to type up another post again. And that thread has gone dead since, and everyone still must assume there's no new software for classics.

To be honest, I prefer posting on AmigaWorld way more than here, but there's just a lot more going on here.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Framiga

• Show only replies by Framiga
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:03:22 AM »
@Cammy and Vanilla

deleting the cookies from time to time, helps with such kind of things (on both OWB and IB)

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »
if they could put up a theme that looked more like the old theme instead of this mess of a theme they have now. things would be better but with no choice we are stuck with this shait, the whola site is a mess and very hard to find things, take a look at aw.net and amigans.net they got great themes and very easy to find what you want. its a shame that a.org have become a drag, i dont visit the site much anymore.............

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »
Quote from: A1260;518589
if they could put up a theme that looked more like the old theme instead of this mess of a theme they have now.

I'm sorry, were you saying something? I couldn't hear you for the histrionic whingeing sound.

things would be better but with no choice we are stuck with this shait, the whola site is a mess and very hard to find things, take a look at aw.net and amigans.net they got great themes and very easy to find what you want.

Strange, most people have managed to find their way around. The fact is, the site had to be updated. The old one would simply not work after the server upgrade. I'd like to see you make a better job of migrating an obsolete xoops install with many custom modules to a completely different forum engine.

its a shame that a.org have become a drag, i dont visit the site much anymore.............

Well, why don't you do us all a favour and continue that trend to the limit and stop visiting all together?

Just reading a few pages of your previous posts is enough to see what a great loss that would be.

@Vanilla & Cammy

If you need any help locating or using things, just ask.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
Quote from: Framiga;518587
@Cammy and Vanilla

deleting the cookies from time to time, helps with such kind of things (on both OWB and IB)

I have found that opting to stay logged in forever (the "remember me" checkbox) is the best way of avoiding issues like that.

You don't see that checkbox on the brief login form at the top of the page. One way to get it, is to log out then directly attempt to go to your UserCP screen by pointing your browser directly at http://www.amiga.org/forums/usercp.php.

This will require you to log in to view the screen and the main login form will be displayed, complete with the "remember me" option. Make sure it is set and you are good to go.

Also, in the past, I've noticed that when I get logged out whilst writing a post, simply submitting the post is enough. It asks you to put in your login credentials again, and if you do so correctly, your post is submitted. There's no need to try to "go back" in the browser, the forum software has a degree more intelligence in that regard and temporarily holds your post whilst you login.
int p; // A

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:06:26 PM »
Quote from: Vanilla;518580
Another thing is tracking down my own threads. On other sites there is uusally a button I can press and I can get a list of my recent threads and posts. but here I am totally lost. There doesn't seem to be an account section where all this info is printed on one page. What is the standard way of doing this?

When logged in, click on your username in the page header (Welcome, Username). That will take you to your profile page. Then click on the Statistics tab in your profile. In the first section, "Total Posts", there are two links :
Find all posts by Username
Find all threads started by Username

I'll see about adding this to the site FAQ.

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »
Quote from: Vanilla;518580
I'm sorry but I just can't work this site out. Soneone said once that amiga.org had to go CSS to avoid modern hacking techniques but I find the result impossible! It all looks nice but I just can't work out how to do anything on it.

One thing is searching; I went to search here when I was on another machine (unlogged in) and was presented with a question.  As I wasn't logged in I understood it though it did seem extreme as other sites let you use their search engine without passing a phrase test. But today I was logged in and it still asks me a question! What the?! As a user why aren't I allow to freely search?

Finally trying to reply to posts has got me beat. I have used other modern CSS forums and usually you can drag select a section and press the Quote button. but here I see no such thing! The Quick Reply doesn't work for me as the "@User" isn't pasted in. And using "Quote message in reply?" didn't paste any quote in either. The other Quote just quotes the whole message forcing me to copy and paste quote codes by hand. Now this doesn't seem very modern!

I looked on site for instructions but none could tell me how to do normal stuff and reply to people. There were no examples. How on earth do I reply to a post and be able to quote and respond to different sections of text? It's got me beat! :-?

I agree with the search function. I was logged in and it still asked me a dumb question like "who is the CTO of Amiga Inc." I was'nt sure, what it was. Never heard of a CTO before. So I typed Bill Mcewan, obviously I was spelling it wrong (didnt know at time). It refused to give me a another question, so I was stuck, lol.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline Marcb

• Show only replies by Marcb
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
Well, I liked the old a.org and I like the new one.

Aside from that, I think the old axiom about a bad tradesman blaming his tools is true...

If I can't find something on here or can't see how to do something, I either ask nicely (as the op did) or keep looking until I learn...

Feeding trolls is fun though :-)
"...but some animals are more equal than others."

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 02:19:11 PM »
Quote from: Marcb;518598
Well, I liked the old a.org and I like the new one.

Aside from that, I think the old axiom about a bad tradesman blaming his tools is true...

If I can't find something on here or can't see how to do something, I either ask nicely (as the op did) or keep looking until I learn...

Feeding trolls is fun though :-)

lol, I wasnt complaining as such.
However making logged in users answer a question they might not know just to search site is crazy. Now if I wasnt logged in or a guest I would say fair enough.

Im sorry if you think searching the internet to get the answer to a question just to be able to search here (when logged in) is acceptable, then your nuts, ;).
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline Marcb

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 02:24:49 PM »
:-)

Follet, I hadn't even read your post, must have posted at the same time.

I concur though, I'm nuts !

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 02:28:41 PM »
Quote from: Marcb;518601
:-)

Follet, I hadn't even read your post, must have posted at the same time.

I concur though, I'm nuts !

lol, no probs. I have to ask though, why is it with my name.
I seem to have a missing T, is everyone blind to the extra T, ;).
Same thing happens with mail comming to my house.

On topic;

We are all nuts, Amiga NUTS!!!!!.

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline Marcb

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 02:40:19 PM »
Follett,
I think the t thing must be one of those weird reading peculiarities, I was blind to the second t until you pointed it out!

For some reason the search function on here doesn't work on my ipod touch so I don't have that particular problem:)
The way you all describe it though it makes it sound very Amiga like.. You know, kinda like installing a new card or app only to find you need version x of some lib :)