Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Canonical "Amiga.org header Topaz text" poll  (Read 7188 times)

Description:

Offline WayneTopic starter

• Winning!
    • Show only replies by Wayne
    • http://www.whyzzat.com
The Canonical "Amiga.org header Topaz text" poll
« on: May 19, 2009, 12:26:57 AM »
Ok guys,

Time to agree or disagree.  Put up or shut up.

Here's a poll to decide whether the header logo for Amiga.org stays with Topaz font (the defacto Amiga font) or goes with something more modern/traditional such as Georgia (the "AMIGA" logo font).

Since I can never make anyone happy, here's how this will go.

I will post this poll, then stop it around 100 votes (200 if it gets spirited).  If, at the end, there is a CLEAR and DECISIVE victory for one side or the other, say 70%, then the font will follow the direction of the poll results.

If at the end of the voting, there is no clear victor, then phooey on all of you and it'll be dealer's choice.  Keeping in mind I may actually rotate the logo for holidays and such.

Either way, no more kvetching about it.

Deal?
//* Signature Free *//

Offline Dragster

• Show only replies by Dragster
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 12:30:46 AM »
Quote from: Wayne;454980
Ok guys,

Time to agree or disagree.  Put up or shut up.

Here's a poll to decide whether the header logo for Amiga.org stays with Topaz font (the defacto Amiga font) or goes with something more modern/traditional such as Georgia (the "AMIGA" logo font).

Since I can never make anyone happy, here's how this will go.

I will post this poll, then stop it around 100 votes (200 if it gets spirited).  If, at the end, there is a CLEAR and DECISIVE victory for one side or the other, say 70, then the font will follow the direction of the poll results.

If at the end of the voting, there is no clear victor, then phooey on all of you and it'll be dealer's choice.  Keeping in mind I may actually rotate the logo for holidays and such.

Either way, no more kvetching about it.

Deal?
That's ok for me. I don't like the current logo, I'd prefer the other one "AMIGA" (upper case, italics) logo...

Thank you Wayne for giving us the opportunity to vote and decide.

Cheers

Dragster
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:41:55 AM »
It's a deal.

I love the retro style. It's just a style thing. A logo. It doesn't downgrade the site's features or anything. :D

Even if it had to change I won't get hung up about it. ;)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 12:42:31 AM »
That's a tough choice, because frankly I like the idea of both.

You may have missed the discussion I had with cicero790 here where he added a scanline effect to the existing one. I thought that one looked fantastic.
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »
Actually, I think I just solved my own dilemma. Topaz it is!
int p; // A

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 01:03:33 AM »
I like Topaz 8.  I like Topaz 16 even better.  I like Topaz 24.

The font being voted on is not Topaz.

It is around 40 pixels tall?  But it is most certainly not Topaz 40.  It looks like Topaz 8, blown up and intentionally not smoothed out.

It says to everyone, hey buddy, this is an Amiga site and Amigas have frakking ugly fonts.  I find it offensive.

The Amiga has always allowed smooth scalable fonts since 1985.  But beginning with the release of OS 2, the OS came with smooth scalable fonts built in.

I printed 10,000s of pages of beautiful smooth fonts with my Amiga on my 600x600 dpi HP laserjet back in the early/mid 90s.

Given the Amiga's history of beautiful desktop publishing, why some people want to associate Amigas with blocky, ugly, fonts is beyond me.

As long as we are intentionally putting offensive things on the homepage lets put a picture of Mehdi Ali up there to.  He is an oldskool Amiga dude.  He has as much right to be up there an an intentionally unsmoothed Topaz.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 01:09:02 AM »
It looks like Topaz 8, blown up and intentionally not smoothed out.

That's because it is. If I have any objection at all, it's that I think it should be rendered in the double height 2:1 aspect ratio you used to get on a bog standard NTSC or PAL noninterlaced display. With a gentle scanline effect added, I think it would be visual perfection.
int p; // A

Offline steve30

• Show only replies by steve30
    • http://www.stevecoates.net
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 01:11:42 AM »
I do like Topaz, but I don't really think it is appropriate. If I came across a site that used Topaz, I would probably assume it was a website dedicated to 'retro' things.

Can't we use the same font that was used on the XOOPS site?

Offline Dragster

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 01:12:31 AM »
Quote from: steve30;455006
I do like Topaz, but I don't really think it is appropriate. If I came across a site that used Topaz, I would probably assume it was a website dedicated to 'retro' things.

Can't we use the same font that was used on the XOOPS site?
I second that!
Amiga 1200T 603/240, 060/50, SCSI II, Plextor 40/12/40S SCSI CDRW, Plextor 40X SCSI CDROM, Fujitsu 36GB 10KRPM SCSI HD, Pioneer 305S SCSI DVD, BVisionPPC, 256 MB FASTRAM, PowerFlyer EIDE, Scandex external scandoubler, ZIV busboard, Algor USB, Wireless, repulse audio...Peg II Quadruple boot: OS4.1FE/MorphOS 3.9 regged, OpenSUSE11.1 & Debian Squeeze, Powerbook G4 1139 MorphOS3.9, A4000D CSPPC/PIV/DENEB OS3.9/4.1FE, A4000T CSPPC/CVPPC/SCSI, etc.. 2

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 01:43:32 AM »
This poll is not clear.  There are no pictures provided so that people can see what it is they are voting for.  Some people are mistakenly voting for the fake topaz.

Could you please attach 2 pics of what is actually being voted on,  to the poll or the 1st message?  Thanx an Amigabyte.:):)
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline djbase

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 01:56:13 AM »
Which amiga logo? That one?
AMIGA 1200 | Vampire 1200 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision AGA Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2
AMIGA 600 | Vampire 600 II | 128 MB RAM | Indivision ECS Mk3 | 256 GB SD | AmigaOS 3.2.2

Offline Dragster

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 01:59:05 AM »
Quote from: DJBase;455011
Which amiga logo? That one?

Thanks DJBase. That's exactly what I voted for.

Hopefully Wayne will clarify this is the other option to the users or whoever votes/reads this thread, as they already have a sample on the top home page.

Cheers!

Dragster

Offline Amiduffer

• Show only replies by Amiduffer
    • http://www.geocities.com/laverdiereaf/
Topaz is it!
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 02:03:09 AM »
GO GO BIG UGLY Topaz fonts!!

If you don't like Topaz on a site for old computer equipment, there's something wrong with you! I still use Topaz on my Amiga.
Amiga 3000D UP and running! Hear that clicking. 8)
Amiga 3000D & 4000D in storage sadly.

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 02:09:54 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;455003

As long as we are intentionally putting offensive things on the homepage lets put a picture of Mehdi Ali up there to.  He is an oldskool Amiga dude.  He has as much right to be up there an an intentionally unsmoothed Topaz.

Why not go the whole hog and put a picture of Doomy up there too and have his rendition of 'Only Amiga' on looped playback in the background ... HAPPY DAYS!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:30:50 AM by ZeBeeDee »
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Dragster

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 02:13:37 AM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just have an option for every user to display the logo they want? :D

Keep on dreamin'....