Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most annoying Amiga game in the world.  (Read 8089 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: Most annoying Amiga game in the world.
« Reply #59 from previous page: March 10, 2006, 03:57:05 AM »

Hyperspeed wrote:

I felt that Zool on A1200 was slower than the old ECS version, don't know why.

Because AGA sucked?
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2006, 05:55:33 AM »
No, it didn't suck because Kid Chaos is like greased lightning...

Considering the era it was conceived and the fact I am using an AGA machine as my main computer is only testament to what a good bit of design it is.

Maybe it seemed a dissapointment because the original OCS/ECS chipsets were so good!

The same happened when people played Perfect Dark after Goldeneye on the N64. Nothing could really live up to the original experience.

It's possible people who went straight into A1200 without owning the others are less likely to moan...

:-D

Offline tokyoracerTopic starter

• Show only replies by tokyoracer
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2006, 10:20:43 AM »
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Odd that the 1988 Megadrive/Genesis had 10 channel audio and it was a 16-Bit 68000 machine and the 1992 Amiga-1200 had 4 channels and it was a 32-Bit 68020 machine...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blame the idiots at Commodore. They mostly just milked the Amiga for all it was worth. The a1200 was released nearly 10 years after a1000, but still it was mostly the same design in a smaller package with only the ram, gfx and cpu being slightly upgraded. The a1000 was way ahead of its time, but the amiga was lagging behind in many areas when the a1200 came out because of lack of hardware developement, which is probably what lead to its death anyways.

I really wonder where the Amiga would have been today if a decent company had owned it instead of the incompetent company called Commodore.

Wow never knew that. But i have to say the 1200 is more user friendly. small and fun. can play just about every amiga game that exists.

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2006, 03:29:26 PM »
Considering the era it was conceived and the fact I am using an AGA machine as my main computer is only testament to what a good bit of design it is.

Yeah, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the aga chipset and the a1200 was quite decent upgrade from the a500 in my opinion. My problem is that this upgrade came years to late and i think that has alot to do with amigas downfall.

The odd part like others mentioned is that they had infact developed upgraded chipsets and so on, but for some reason the management decided to not release them.

Offline adonay

• Show only replies by adonay
    • http://www.freewebs.com/adonay-/index.htm
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2006, 03:37:28 PM »
Blood Money !! to hard and fustrating
A1200 ACA 1230

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2006, 04:03:58 PM »
Perfect Dark was highly superior to Goldeneye. By a bit, but far superior!!!
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2006, 01:24:41 PM »
The most difficult game I've ever played was Radiant Silvergun (a top down shoot 'em up on Sega Saturn). The end boss took 2 players about half an hour to kill with infinite lives! The screen was so full of bullets that evading them for just a few minutes would have required a direct linkup from my brain to the CPU.

Now, this is simply not true...  Radiant Silvergun isn't an easy game, but a hard shooter it is absolutely not. I got it half a year ago for my Saturn and it took me about 10 hours to complete the game.

First of all, you can set the difficulty, and it makes HUGE difference if one play it on an easier level instead of the harder ones.

Secondly, the game is built in a way so that even the beginner shoot'em up players can beat the game if they just keep on trying. The game keeps track of the gameplay time, and the more you play the more credits you gain (if you have gained 10 credits from gameplay time these credits will always be available when playing the game from the beginning if using the save). Furthermore, you gain credits (max 2 credits per session, though, if you manage to defeat a boss with 100% destruction ratio). Also, your weapons gains levels and after reaching level 40+ on most of your weapons  the game becomes even easier to beat. High level on the weapons together with some gained credits will for sure make the game beatable even for the inexperienced shoot'em up player.

And, unlike games such as R-Type, where you die if being touched by a pixel of the shots or the enemies, only the center of the ship in Radiant Silvergun is what matters if being touched... thus making dodging bullets not such a big deal (compared to other shooters) even though the screen is filled with bullets at times.

Finally, two more things... the final boss can't take half an hour to beat, since it can't be beaten. You just have to evade its bullets for a certain amount of time (2 minutes, is it? Can't say for sure), until it self destructs.

If talking about the boss just before the final boss, the huge human-like figure running around on the ground, it took me about 7-8 minutes to beat it, in single player mode, with mid-levels on my weaponry. So, honestly, I can't possibly understand what you are talking about when claiming it to take half an hour to beat.

Maybe, just maybe, if one manages to reach the 'almost' final boss the first time playing the game, having only leveled up the weaponry during that very first session of gameplay, and having done it really bad I must add, it could possibly take as long as you claim, but if one has managed to get that far during the first gameplay session one would be so good at playing the game that beating the 'almost' final boss would be a breeze anyways.

EDIT: If you, and the one that you played with, played through the game with infinite lives and rushed through the game from beginning to end without leveling up your weaponry properly (or maybe even skipped directly to the final levels), well, then I can understand that there was some problems with the boss you were talking about. But the game wasn't designed to be played that way.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Hyperspeed

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2006, 02:30:52 PM »
Legerdemain: Have you had your breakfast yet? You seem in a bad mood...

Offline Legerdemain

• Show only replies by Legerdemain
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2006, 03:14:04 PM »
Not in a bad mood, really... just a tad tired after reading loads of rather odd posts which seemed to lack constructiveness. This was the only one I bothered about replying to (since I really much love Radiant Silvergun and almost have played it to death by now), so there might have been some annoyed feelings embedded within the reply.

Oh well.

Anyways.
Amiga 1200, Mirage Tower, PC-Key 1200, Blizzard 1260/50, SCSI Kit, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD, Mediator SX, Soundblaster 128, Voodoo 3 and Realtek 8139.

Offline Hyperspeed

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2006, 03:18:24 PM »
Let us unite in appreciation of the Sega Saturn!

Here, have a pancake.
http://www.syberpunk.com/images/oolong/oolong.jpg

Oh well, I tried to make Oolong appear on the thread but I don't know how to imbed HTML...

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2006, 09:20:48 AM »
Link doesnt work! i Think that the saturn is a superb machine, just lacked the good ammount of games and stuff. The expansions are great too! but were going off topic here, annoying amiga games please ...

Offline Chunder

• Show only replies by Chunder
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2006, 01:33:51 PM »
No-one has mentioned Project X... tore out lots of hair over that one!

Football Glory (or Fussball Total as it was otherwise known) was pretty cool as a Sensi alternative with some nice tweaks... but it was very annoying when it crashed regularly.

Frontier, too - dodgy mechanics/autonavigation when the time-acceleration was on was frustrating, as was being rammed by some stupid pirate just as you're doing really well... and where you haven't saved recently!
(Or on a similar note, did anyone ever save their position upon being encountered by a pirate, only to get blown up instantly... every time the save position is loaded? How about when you saved over your last good save position? Whoops! Grr!)
Pimp My Amiga  8-)

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2006, 02:22:43 PM »
ive got the 2nd one of fonteer and project x which i havent managed to play yet. im suprised no1 has said anything about the helter skelter game...  :-?

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2006, 04:04:36 PM »
Frontier was a great game - despite it's numerous bugs!  I didn't care for the combat AI much and the fact that enemy Geckos will attack your Panter Clipper one at a time instead of en masse.  I got bored with firing at them and just rammed them instead.

On the contrary, Elite had a much better combat AI and much more entertaining physics, but was much harder to get into IMHO.  

Another annoying game which sprang to mind just now was Turrican 3, not because it was difficult but because it wasn't as good as it's predecessors.  

Cecilia for President

Offline foleyjo

• Show only replies by foleyjo
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2006, 04:57:30 PM »
RISE OF THE ROBOTS

Up-Towards n fire and win

DOUBLE DRAGON

Why did they release this poor port of a good game. It looks like a bad PD game

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2006, 05:42:46 PM »
I recently bought a copy of Namco's Arcade Classics for my PS2, expecting a right good retro gaming session.

However my hopes were dashed when I realised that most of the games held my attention for an extremely brief span...  And then I realised that coin-ops are deliberately made to be difficult to keep the 10pence pieces being fed in.

A successful coin-op conversion needed significant changes to the gameplay in order to make it more suitable to those playing it on their Amigas.  If you play something like "Operation Thunderbolt" on your Amiga, chances are it'll be much easier than the arcade version.
Cecilia for President