Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I want an Amiga gaming system!  (Read 9994 times)

Description:

Offline x56h34

• Show only replies by x56h34
Re: I want an Amiga gaming system!
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2004, 05:34:39 PM »
A specific list of games? More like almost all released games. I am sure there are titles missing, but everything worthwhile playing is supported.

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2004, 06:07:43 PM »
Right actually ANSWERING his question:

Most powerful Amiga for games: Amiga 4000 PPC with Mediator and Voodoo 3 graphics and 256 meg RAM, nice big hard drive (go for whatever u want)

Oh, and of course.. a CD-ROM drive  :-)
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

Offline HopperJF

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2004, 06:10:10 PM »
AmigaOS 3.9 would make things even better, and a good monitor.

For some games you may want  a good joypad.
You can get Playstation joypads to work on your Amiga.
Go a google search for Amiga PSX Port.

Another thing you might want is good sound.
If you get an Amiga without a sound card you may well want to invest in one with some good speakers.
Make sure Amiga drivers are available (Amiga drivers are very scarce, even harder to find than Linux drivers not surprisingly of course - especially with newer cards)

I hope you get a nice gaming rig going!
Show us pictures and specs if you do!

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2004, 06:40:31 PM »
If you want classic games, then you want the good old standard a500 with 512k memory upgrade "1mb total"

Offline mugenakumaTopic starter

• Show only replies by mugenakuma
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~akuma/cars.htm
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2004, 07:33:37 PM »
Wow this forum rocks! I am very impressed at the amount of helpful responses I got!

First off I live in the US and would definitely want an Amiga capable of playing PAL and NTSC games. Considering this what should be my plan?

Also loading time is something I definitely would rather not have to deal with BUT I don't mind some loading time. To be honest I dont feel like spending even close to $500 on a system. Would this then rule out a A1200?

Lastly why would I need a monitor? Can't I just hook up any Amiga to my current PC 19"?

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2004, 07:37:34 PM »

mugenakuma wrote:
First off I live in the US and would definitely want an Amiga capable of playing PAL and NTSC games. Considering this what should be my plan?

Also loading time is something I definitely would rather not have to deal with BUT I don't mind some loading time. To be honest I dont feel like spending even close to $500 on a system. Would this then rule out a A1200?

Lastly why would I need a monitor? Can't I just hook up any Amiga to my current PC 19"?

From what you just stated, get an Amiga 3000. It is the only Amiga model that from the factory will hook directly up to a PC monitor. It has a scsi hard drive controller, and will let you switch from PAL to NTSC in the early startup menu. you can pick up a second hand A3000 on eBay for about $200.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2004, 08:23:07 PM »
Thanks redrumloa,

Sounds like the A3000 would be the way to go.

Are there any specifc mods or features I would want to look for before buying an A3000?

Any notorious problems with them I should watch out for?

I could only find one available on ebay, and it supposedly has some distorted/fuzzy display problems. Either way it didn't look like a well kept cpu.
Are these hard to find on ebay? Any where else I could look?

One final thing. Where would I look for legit versions of Thalion brand games/shooters?

thanks again for the help,

Glenn

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2004, 10:39:20 PM »
mugenakuma:

Boy you must be really confused. Let me help you.............first read wvwrything I said in my last posts.now read this:

I am American and live in New York....... I have had Amigas since approx 1988...... I have had almost every Amiga model made................

If you want games worthwhile playing Listen one more time.

Get a basic A1200 if you dont want all the upgrades because even a basic 1200 has a 68020 processor with 2 megs chip. This will cover 95% of Old A500 games and 95% of AGA games  without getting too complicated just for a simple game machine. Just add a Harddrive to the 1200 which is extremely easy (1gig or 2gig if only installing games) the Amiga 500 is difficult to get these size drives, but if you can real easy..then get a 500 if you want.

DO NOT get any joystick that was ever made for Amiga unless its a CD32 joypad. Otherwise get a SEGA Genesis 3 button or six button joypad...why? because you can use the B and C buttons on it versus the Amiga made Joysticks wich only have one........... Project X and Turrican I and Turrican II supports these and other games so that you dont have to press the stupid space bar for other weapons. In the future if you ever want to modify the SEGA pad, you can, there are hacks which supposedly turn it into a full CD32 pad by reversing the number 9 pin and the one below it ( i never tried it but soon will). Some people may tell you that a SEGA pad will damage the Amiga..........I have allways used them and NEVER ever had any problems.

This is the cheapest best possible game setup you can get.........You can buy a 1200 for like $120.00 on eBay or from redrumloa or others who probably sell them.
 Oh! and as for PAL and NTSC problems........NOT a problem at all! just press and hold both mouse buttons when you turn on your 1200 and select PAL if you want to boot in PAL.if your booting a floppy.............notnecessary if You use the WHDload installer.....with WHDLoad most games are set for PAL but if you want to run them in NTSC like me!  just TYPE: NTSC in the ToolTypes by highlighting the game icon and selecting INFORMATION on the Workbench menu. select NEW, and Type: NTSC or if its already there, just take away the parenthesis.

By the way everone here should check out the Game  OUTFALL its a tetris like game but with globs of jelly or something........Anyway This game has the best use of PAL and NTSC switching I have ever seen!!!  the timing and position of the screen remains exactly the same when you switch..this guy should talk with every game developer including the WHDLoad guys so that they can implement this PAL NTSC code to the installers instead if Nico Fracois's PAL one.

This will fix every single Amiga game ever made and make it function exactly the same way wether your in UK or USA.no more cutoff screens at the Bottom!
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2004, 10:51:40 PM »
Oh if your still confused..then get an A500 and practice with that for a while......you cant lose cuz they are really really cheap, then you can sell it later or just give it away.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2004, 02:55:47 AM »
Interesting ideas leirbag.

So you are saying an Amiga 1200 will use Sega Genesis controllers? I have a few of these, one regular 3 button, a JVC Xeye model and a Sega 6 button. Do these just plug into the ports on the bag of the 1200?

Do you have a Amiga32? That system looks interesting. To bad it can't run any of those old disk games, or can it?

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2004, 03:10:44 AM »
Here are some more big questions:

Can I use the 1200 with my 19" monitor?

I saw 2 different types of 1200's, a tower model and a all in one keyboard/system unit.

Thanks for the info

Glenn

Offline Wain

• Show only replies by Wain
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2004, 03:15:45 AM »
SO...HARD...TO...RESIST...URGE...TO...MAKE...DOOMMASTER...POST

Urge..to recommend...professional...2000...too...great!

Want...to...tell...everyone...they...don't....know...what....they're...talking...about!

must...jam...stick...in...eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:whack: :whack: :whack: :whack: :whack: :whack: :whack: :whack:

aaaah!   That's better.

So, yeah...an A500 is more compatible, but a 1200 tends to be a bit more convenient.  An A3000 will support your current moitor without additional hardware, but they're often harder to find.  500's and 3000's  don't support the AGA games the 1200 does, but there are MANY more games that use the original chipset, and that's what stuff like Shadow of the Beast uses.

This is why several people on here are recommending the emulator, there are so many different options, and all of them have certain specific limitations.

You can use a 1200 with your monitor, but to be able to play old games on it, you'll need additional hardware (A scandoubler/flicker fixer).  Most screenmodes used in games are set up to send television type signals, and the refresh rates aren't high enough for a VGA monitor to recognize

EDIT - made more coherent...I'm tired.
Professional Expatriate

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2004, 04:59:18 AM »
Hi,
I use an A2000Hd with an 060 accel & OS3.9. What few games I have that won't run from HD or floppy
just reboot to Native Processor and there it is. Most games run on the accel card and they are very fast
and smooth.

Chris

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2004, 03:38:42 PM »
mugenakuma:

Yes, I am saying SEGA joypads work..just plug them right in...........DO NOT however plug in wireless SEGA pads...........they wont work unless you modify them.

And yes, I do have an Amiga CD32 with an SX32 Pro 68030 50 Mhz and 128mb and 2.1gig HD (getting ready to attach a 40gig I just purchased). And Yes this play all the Amiga games because this is essentially an Amiga 1200 inside a console box with a CD-ROM drive. This is my main setup and probably the best set up for most Amiga games.................Now why didn't I recomend it to you before?  because this set up will cost you more than most other set ups unless you get an SX-1 instead of the SX32.......basically an SX1 and SX32 simply add all the ports of a computer plus a hard drive and memory to the Amiga CD32 console.
 See the Amiga CD32 can not only play most A500 games and A1200 Games (AGA), but it can also play CD32 games and Amiga CDTV games as well as music CD's, CD+G (Karoake CD's) and even Video CD movies if you have a Full Motion Video Cartridge like I have. (VideoCD was the format that was introduced before DVD came out). Like I said, I have many many old games working on this flawlessly.like Project-X, Sword Of Sodan, Hybris, Zool, Shadow of the Beast 1,2 and 3, Turrican I and II, Pacmania, MotherLode, Shufflepuck Cafe, Pinball Dreams, Pinball Fantasies, Pinball Illusions, SlamTilt (probably the best game made for AGA amigas) love that game darn it!

If you do want one of these, they are fairly easy to get..but not so easy to get an SX-1 and even 10 times harder to get an SX32 pro.........I happen to have an extra SX32 pro 50Mhz but it doesnt work and one chip fell off and needs to be soldered on.

Now as for the A1200 in a tower.....dont bother...........(hey that rhymes).its not a real A1200. well it is but, it was towered up by someone.they don't come that way and I DONT recommend it right now for your needs......remeber yo can always buy...and then sell what you don't want on ebay very easily. So the 1200 in a keyboard style is the way to go....thats the way it comes from the factory.

Offline HopperJF

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2004, 04:07:46 PM »
Also towered A1200 systems are known to be hacky and unstable.

But seriously.. for classc games I would recommend an A600.
It will run practically any classic game.
I think 95% compatibility with old A500 games is a bit optimistic, just the other day I took my A1200 to a friends and a lot of the games he has (he has a dodgy A500 - I'm getting a 600 for him soon) do not run properly.

I think A600. It will run a large majority of the games and comes in a nice Amiga style case, but smaller.
A600's are typically cheaper than A1200s and Ax000 machines as well, and don't yelllow and are known not to break as easily.

I have had an A1200 since 2000, and trust me, theyre not as rosy for classic games as people make out.
A1200's to me, are a cheap route for an upgradable classic Amiga.
It was for this reason that 2 or 3 weeks ago I iinvested in an A600 off Amibench.
It arrived last Tuesday (3rd February) and I got all my old A500 games out of the loft and could enjoy playing them again - there was a good 200 disks worth of games which would simply refuse to run on the A1200, whatever patches or things I did to the A1200 which sometimes works.

It's a bit wierd, but I think if you invested in an A600 you would have a good little classic games machine.
But drawbacks include the fact that it isnt as easy to switch from PAL AND NTSC and you will need some extra hardware to get it to work on your PC monitor (same story with the A500 a few people have suggested you should get)
But I think the A600  is the most compatible Amiga regardless of what people say about the A500.
For A500 games (the small amount which will not work on the A600 - and I mean VERY SNMALL) then you can get a copy of Relokick or similar software which lets your A600 boot the Workbench 1.3 prompt to trick it into acting as an A500 style Amiga.
A600's you can also get an Apollo 630 to run slightly more demanding games, a Squirrel SCSI Interface and CD-ROM drive, extra RAM etc if you really want to, without losing compatibility to the old games thanks to the ECS chipset, which is a sort of middle chip in Amiga.
You get more out of Original Chipset games yet don't lose the compatibility you would have if you were running AGA.
A600!  :-)

« Reply #44 from previous page: February 06, 2004, 06:07:34 PM »
It is truly amazing how many different opinions you all have! Everyone seems to have completely different ideas about what system I should get.

Every time I read a new post I think I have decided what to go with, that is until I read another post.

I guess I will go look around for A600s?!