Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000  (Read 12522 times)

Description:

Offline spirantho

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 03:36:20 PM »
That's better. This thread is now complete.

I was worried for a moment, it seemed like the trolls had forgotten us. :)

Now can we please get back on topic?
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;686539
That's better. This thread is now complete.

I was worried for a moment, it seemed like the trolls had forgotten us. :)

Now can we please get back on topic?

:laughing:...yup the usual suspects seem to be getting slower.
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »
Quote from: mikeymike;686525
So you're comparing two debatably over-priced items (when new), but to try and validate your point about price

It's really not very complicated at all mikeymike, the only relevant comparison for anyone thinking of buying a NG system *today*, are what options are available *today* (not a decade ago, not a decade into the future when/if OS4 finally supports the HW fully)! I'm talking about hardware availability, hardware price, hardware performance, hardware quality, what features the OS has, what Amiga Standards (like MUI, Poseidon, CGX, etc) the OS has, the performance of the OS, the level of Amiga compatibility in the OS, the stability of the OS, etc. Learning things like this, might help you make a well educated purchase decision, *not* having access to this kind of info may lead to people being fooled to buy a $3,000+ system while being of the wrong impression that it would be the only or the best alternative. Knowledge is good! :)

you're comparing a second-hand approx. ten year old Mac with a brand-new X1000.

The motherboard design may be new, but the core PA6T was created in 2005 to be ready for laptops in 2007, but got shelved after Apple went x86 and bought PA Semi for the competence and pulled the plug on the PPC things, so it's at least half a decade old technology, aimed for mobile/power saving applications, and all this clearly shows in benchmarks.
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline klx300r

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 04:09:10 PM »
Quote from: Piru;686520
Which graphs you're referring to?

Any of the below have something wrong with them?
l

can you please start a new thread entiled "benchmark graphs outlining the X1000 in an unoptimized state and only running one one 1 core"

even better please post it at the Apple recycling website.

Offline klx300r

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
Quote from: mikeymike;686525
....  I'm trying to figure out why you care so much that you regularly have to come here and troll, because that's what you're doing.  Having said that, I think it's more likely that you simply do it for your own amusement, hence your "who knows, who cares" comment.

:drink: mate I think you better save this response as you can save time by cutting & pasting it into EVERY single OS4.x related thread on this site.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
Quote from: number6;686535
The topic is...
"Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000".

Why this über-sensitiveness about topics all the sudden? Judging by your über-strict views on topic-discipline, only post #2 was on topic (since it was Darrin "Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000", which by your definition would be the only posts allowed), and *every single* subsequent post was off topic, including yours! If that would have been the only thing allowed, then you could as well lock this thread and let it fall back into the history. But reading the topic in a more common-sense/humane way, it could be construed as a discussion about another upcoming batch or A1X1K might be on its way and people who would be interested in it should act now. Naturally discussions about price, availability etc will comes up, and can be discussed, all on topic. I find the A1X1K price to be almost criminally high, especially when looking at the alternatives available, so when someone asked for the price, I made that picture illustrating what it costs compared to the alternatives, and also what you get for your money when it comes to performance. A picture says more than a thousand words, sorry you didn't like it, but there is no reason for you to play the "off-topic-crybaby" card. This is a discussion board, meant for discussions...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline billyfish

• Show only replies by billyfish
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 04:29:02 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;686529
Awesome! Maybe somebody can start a bounty to get the drivers written and OS4 out of beta!

Sigh, do you realise how long these things take to write, debug, optimise, etc? It's hard work. OS4, MorphOS and AROS are all playing catch up with regards to fully supporting the hardware, e.g sound card drivers for the 460, wireless support for the Mac Mini, etc. The issue's the same: do they wait until everything's fully finished (if such a thing exists with software...) or release it in state with rough edges?

I've had many years of being a programmer in that lovely, shiny boat and generally speaking it's a "damned if we do, damned if we don't" situation

By the way, whatever happened to the contractor who was writing the XMOS support for OS4?

No idea, but since it's nothing to do with me, I'm not surprised that they don't give me daily reports.

Same question as I asked grandma: why do you care so much about the X1000 and/or OS4? I assume you've no interest in buying one so why do you care if others do?

Offline billyfish

• Show only replies by billyfish
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;686545
This is a discussion board, meant for discussions...

Ok I'll repeat my question as part of this discursive joy: why do you care so much about something that you clearly have no intention of buying and won't affect you in any physical way? I'm fairly sure it's not like a puppy gets killed every time someone buys an X1000. I'm willing to guarantee that no animals were harmed during the making of the X1000 or OS4 if that helps you.

As for my response to the original topic, and to quote Darrin, DONE!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »
why? He loves to tell everyone (expecially those who are not interested in) that MorphOS is the best OS, has the most (and best) users and developers, most and best software and runs on the best hardware. Short: "MorphOS rulez the world". Still questions? :-)

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;686543
can you please start a new thread entiled "benchmark graphs outlining the X1000 in an unoptimized state and only running one one 1 core"
I'll rather post it to "comparing MorphOS on quad core G5 vs AmigaOS 4 on dual core X1000" thread which would make as much sense, i.e. none.

even better please post it at the Apple recycling website.
I know it's hard to accept that 5+ years old apple HW can beat your favorite, and is a lot cheaper, and is more easily available, and has better support and repair possibilities...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:59:01 PM by Piru »

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 05:01:12 PM »
Red versus blue starts again. I will fetch Popcorn :-)

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 05:04:20 PM »
@thread

you know what's funny? when i saw this posted originally, i figured that less than twenty-four hours in, piru and TMHG would be all over it. and when i checked it this morning, guess who i saw?

:laughing:

they just can't help themselves. every OS4 thread, without exception, here they come, like the plague.

well done, chaps. again you manage to demonstrate your vast superiority. we are in awe at your brilliance, your prescience; we stand dismayed that we should dare use something other than the great and might MOS on apple hardware. one butterfly to rule them all.... :lol:

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 05:07:00 PM »
at least you accept your inferiority and your defeat :-)

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
Talk about holy wars! :)

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;686552
at least you accept your inferiority and your defeat :-)
oh, absolutely. if only i would listen to the magnificent, cogent arguments of the holy piru and his disciple TMHG, who try in vain at every opportunity to turn me from my wicked path.

and here i am, foolishly thinking that this announcement from amigakit was good news. i even emailed to sign up, signaling my willingness to pony up $3000 for such an inferior, pitiable machine. how idiotic of me to want to use something i enjoy, rather than something they enjoy.

i'm sure they'll be back here shortly, ready and willing to explain to me for the 2,176th time how that was a bad move and i should submit to the mighty tide of MOS and used mac hardware. any minute now. :lol:

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:21:49 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #44 from previous page: April 02, 2012, 05:18:29 PM »
at least you understand it now :lol:

i personal would not buy X1000 and I am not interested in PPC Macs but I accept that people think different. And i already find it funny when the "religious" wars are starting...