Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000  (Read 12557 times)

Description:

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;686582
piru, i didn't realize abilities extended even so far as to divine the future

You don't need to be an Nostradamus incarnate to realize that computer with maybe 500 units sold will have way worse support than computer that sold millions.

Really.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »
Where are you getting your "20-30" buyers numbers from, TMHG?

I doubt the X1000 sold a boatload off the first production run, so they are likely indeed low - just curious who's ass you are pulling numbers out of this time.

To address the OP, in regards to registering interest.  I've always stated in no uncertain terms that I felt the prebuilt system idea was a detriment to the X1000 project.  I haven't bought a prebuilt PC in like 20 years, in fact I think the last one I bought was likely the PC that replaced my A4000.  Many others are in the same boat.  Many are hardware jockeys like me that want to build their own machines, people that simply do not buy prebuilts.  We like our own case picks.  We like our own HD, PSU, RAM, etc. choices and simply won't buy a prebuilt.  Ever.  Wintel or PPC, or anything in between.

Having a motherboard only option would not only lower the cost (face it, they *are* making a premium on the components - that's only basic business sense), but would have actually got me on the sign up sheet regarding pre-orders if the price on the mobo was acceptable.  Can't help but think a lot more people would have been interested if a bare mobo was available like the SAM boards - and yes, system builders are well aware of the risks of them killing boards if they build systems in a stupid fashion.

I was signed up on their email mailing list before it was announced that they would only be coming in prebuilt form.  I wouldn't have bought my SAM 440ep is a bare mobo option wasn't available.  While I can't say price isn't a factor, I was truly interested in the X1000 when I was going under the assumption I could throw it together with my own components.  Sadly them not offering that lost them a customer and a developer, as meager and niche as my coding efforts are (face it, no one is buying OS4 machines to run PPC native telnet BBS software on, lol).

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »
Quote from: Piru;686583
You don't need to be an Nostradamus incarnate to realize that computer with maybe 500 units sold will have way worse support than computer that sold millions.

Really.
indeed. and how fortunate we have you to point that out and freely share your heavenly genius with us wayward folks who have yet to adopt the path. i so enjoy your astounding insights every time i read a thread even remotely related to OS4 or OS4 hardware platforms on this site. please, what other fascinating bits of badger-sputumly inconsequential MOS propaganda will you assail us with next? i can hardly wait!

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »
@eliyahu

I usually post facts with little sugar coating. Intolerable, I know. Often so much that I get to enjoy the puny attempts at snide remarks and poorly veiled insults.

If someone wants to provoke me they'll have to try much much harder.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:44:56 PM by Piru »

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
Quote from: Duce;686584
Where are you getting your "20-30" buyers numbers from, TMHG?

I doubt the X1000 sold a boatload off the first production run, so they are likely indeed low - just curious who's ass you are pulling numbers out of this time.
his. the source of most of his 'knowledge' of the other guys.

Having a motherboard only option would not only lower the cost (face it, they *are* making a premium on the components - that's only basic business sense), but would have actually got me on the sign up sheet regarding pre-orders if the price on the mobo was acceptable.  Can't help but think a lot more people would have been interested if a bare mobo was available like the SAM boards - and yes, system builders are well aware of the risks of them killing boards if they build systems in a stupid fashion.

I was signed up on their email mailing list before it was announced that they would only be coming in prebuilt form.  I wouldn't have bought my SAM 440ep is a bare mobo option wasn't available.  While I can't say price isn't a factor, I was truly interested in the X1000 when I was going under the assumption I could throw it together with my own components.  Sadly them not offering that lost them a customer and a developer, as meager and niche as my coding efforts are (face it, no one is buying OS4 machines to run PPC native telnet BBS software on, lol).
i have to agree with you, there. i really wish they'd offer just the board. of course i could have signed up to be a tester, but i don't really like the idea of paying for the privilege of testing someone else's product. usually it's the other way around.

and given the massive shipping charges customers see here in the US, offering just the board would save us substantial money just on that point alone. have you emailed matthew and/or trevor to see if they would make an exception for you?

-- eliyahu

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »
Quote from: Piru;686586
@eliyahu

I usually post facts with little sugar coating. Intolerable, I know.
oh, come on. is that the best you can come up with? :lol:

-- eliyahu

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »
Firstly, I have no interest in NG "amiga" options anymore. If I want a machine to deal with the modern world, I'll use a modern machine, simple as that (and I'll get it for cheaper than either OS4 or MOS' cost of entry). Now I say this so people are under no illusions as to my agenda. This said:

This is an amiga website. There's few outside eyes watching. People know what theyre buying into, they know the stories, they know prices/pros/cons.

Do all the clowns that keep posting the same **** over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (yes, its excessive to type the same thing so often, but some people think this is normal) is enlightening anyone? Do they think theyre providing any revalations? Are they really so stupid as to think people dont see right through any feeble attempts to cover thier real agenda? People who are interested in something arent going to be swayed by people so transparent they irritate even those with no interest. Want to promote your system of choice? Great, but these negative tactics lose any value pretty quickly, to a point that any interest someone originally had in the product promoted by those using negative tactics also fades pretty quickly.

Personally I love my a1200 still. It cost me a pretty penny to upgrade it to a point its on par with a mac or pc Id have thown away 15 years ago, but guess what? I dont give a ****, it's my hobby and I enjoy it. No amount ot negativity from strangers who by now sound either like turrets sufferers stuck on a groove, or mentally challenged will change that.

This isnt to say I dont find some benchmarks interesting, I do, but there's only so many times a person can find a tenuous segue and repeat the same thing before they make people like me lose interest (someone who was previously interested in all amiga options until the community changed his mind with all the bull****(and make no mistake this isnt just one camp either)).

So no, youre not "informing people", youre doing damage and making the amiga scene appear as screwed up as it really is.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:00:03 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2012, 06:52:32 PM »
What I really love is the fact that the PowerMacs in question are FAR slower than a cheap bargain basement x86 box, which can run AROS.
So what if 30 Power Macs can be bought for one X1000? You can get a much faster x86 for the same price, and AROS has just as much to do with AmigaOS 4 as MorphOS does - i.e. none at all.

So if you're going to buy an NG system and don't want to buy an X1000, then get an x86 box and run AROS. But if you want to run AmigaOS 4, then it can't be a PowerMac so there's no point whatsoever mentioning it.

Stupid thing is that this MorphOS evangelism every time OS4 is mentioned has done far more damage to the MOS reputation than both AROS and AmigaOS put together.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 06:52:59 PM by spirantho »
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2012, 06:52:56 PM »
@fishy_fiz

that's probably the best reply so far. honestly, if i had found this site before i purchased my SAM and entered the 'amiga community' a couple of years back, i wouldn't have bothered. stuff like this really is a turn-off. i need to be careful i don't start getting sucked into the fighting like this again.

@thread

let's just get back on topic, shall we? i'll go ahead and start by unilaterally ceasing fire. :o

-- eliyahu

Offline matt3k

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2012, 06:57:23 PM »

Offline Derfs

• Show only replies by Derfs
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »
@takemehomegrandma
The irony is that all this would have taken was some 20-30 buyers of the A1X1K placing their money towards that instead.

math is not your strong suit I take it. that would be the amount to design it. thats it.

I think you forgot that they would then have to pay more to actually purchase it, and that would be very expensive for a limited run, but your impression of "the sky is falling" doesnt work well with the facts.

tmhg, you are the equivalent of the crazy religious people i see in town, annoying me by trying to get me to join their religion, whilst im just happy as i am. you are speaking to people like they are idiots that dont know any better, and that is just sad you feel the need to treat people like that, when they can make up their own minds.

a cppc is more expensive than a powermac, and less powerfull, why are you not showing us classic owners the correct way to think?

Offline Derfs

• Show only replies by Derfs
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;686591
*snip*

So no, youre not "informing people", youre doing damage and making the amiga scene appear as screwed up as it really is.

+1, like, RT etc

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2012, 07:11:19 PM »
Quote from: matt3k;686598
As I have already said...

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=669526&postcount=179

[country hick accent]
We dont want none o' your kind 'round here. We calls 'em "logicals" an' they aint fit in with us NG ameegans
[/country hick accent]

translation:
That makes way too much sense for this place :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
Quote from: Piru;686576
@mikeymike

It is quite hard to avoid the impression that certain parties should be considered avoid any and all criticism.

I do have more the impression that the sole existence of some people is to criticize anything related to OS4.
But then I am a weird person.

Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
Quote from: billyfish;686537
The relevant part was actually "Also please keep in mind most of the X1000 system is still unoptimized." My point is, as with any software, when it's in beta, it's not generally going to be running at the same speed as in its final polished state.

Your point being?

Today A1X1K costs X dollars and scores Y in benchmarks. What it costs in the future and how fast it performs in the future are just useless. My MorphOS could be faster than anything else in the future when it is running on future with future optimisations but it could be just the sun explodes tomorrow.

Instead of playing usual pissing contest why not just say what it costs, what it does and that is it? You dont have to care what Mac costs of what MorphOS does. TMHGM didnt even mention MorphOS in his post. So please stop your witch hunt and learn to read.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:51:41 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline billyfish

• Show only replies by billyfish
« Reply #74 from previous page: April 02, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »
Quote from: Piru;686549
I'll rather post it to "comparing MorphOS on quad core G5 vs AmigaOS 4 on dual core X1000" thread which would make as much sense, i.e. none.

I'm glad that we agree that the benchmark comparison has a sense rating of none as I explain below...

I know it's hard to accept that 5+ years old apple HW can beat your favorite, and is a lot cheaper, and is more easily available, and has better support and repair possibilities...

Piru, the X1000 software is still unoptimised. You know as well as I do that the benchmark comparisons aren't worth the pixels they're drawn with if you're comparing a debug-type build with an optimised one.

[OFF TOPIC]
I once built a large scale molecular simulation and after running and ananlysing it, managed to get a 900% increase, by changing all the distance comparisons to work in squared distances rather than Euclidean. I.e. getting rid of sqrt () from getting the distance from A to B worked wonders.
[/OFF TOPIC]

My point being compiler support and algorithm optimisation can make *HUGE* differences and given that they've said that it's currently unoptimised means that there is a large scope for improvement.

I'd suggest that a more accurate representation *as the software stands at the minute* would be

1. Code running on a single core on the PowerMacs is probably slightly quicker a single core of the X1000.

2. The memory access speeds on the X1000 are much faster than on the PowerMac.

3. The graphics card capabilities of the x1000 are much ahead of the Mac Mini.

4. All these are subject to change as OS4 and MorphOS code gets more optimised for these systems.

Would you agree with this?