Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 News  (Read 6247 times)

Description:

Offline spirantho

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 4 News
« Reply #59 from previous page: October 20, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
I think 4.2 isn't going to be so necessary as 4.1 was. I could be wrong (I'm not involved with Hyperion) but I think 4.2's main improvement will be SMP support, which of course is of no use to anyone other than X1000 owners.

Let's not forget though that charging for hotfixes is hardly new - all the OSes do it. Look at Windows for example. Win 95 didn't work on AMD K6-2 chips, so you had to fork out for '98. Then when you did, you found that '98 had completely broken USB, and you had to fork out again for Win 98 OSR2.

If you don't need the upgrade, then don't upgrade, I think is the message here.

For what it's worth I completely empathise. I have 4.0 on my Classic, 4.1 on my A1 and 4.1 on my Sam440ep - if I were to upgrade them all I'd be looking at close to £300, which is much more than I can afford!

I suggest using your OS until you find that you need the upgrade, then upgrade. Just because they're bringing out a new version doesn't mean you need to buy it (though I know the temptation is very strong!).

@jorkany

No-one said update 3 was perfect, but in no way was it as bad as it was being accused of.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline mongo

• Show only replies by mongo
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2011, 04:32:10 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;664228
Let's not forget though that charging for hotfixes is hardly new - all the OSes do it. Look at Windows for example. Win 95 didn't work on AMD K6-2 chips, so you had to fork out for '98. Then when you did, you found that '98 had completely broken USB, and you had to fork out again for Win 98 OSR2.

Not true at all. Microsoft issued a free patch to fix the problem with the K6-2 in 95 and patches for USB in 98. No need to pay for an upgrade.

A hotfix should always be free.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »
MS did not charge for the fixes for either issue mentioned.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2011, 04:54:32 PM »
The first case, even Microsoft admit:
NOTE: This fix does not correct the problem for the retail version of Windows 95
If - like me - you had the retail version you had to buy Win 98.
And Win98SE was a paid-for upgrade, which you needed. I remember a lot of USB hardware saying "Windows 98 SE only" because it was basically borked (or to put it charitably - very basic) in the original 98.

In both cases you had to pay. I know, because I was a K6-2 owner with USB devices!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline nicholas

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:51 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;664233
The first case, even Microsoft admit:
NOTE: This fix does not correct the problem for the retail version of Windows 95
If - like me - you had the retail version you had to buy Win 98.
And Win98SE was a paid-for upgrade, which you needed. I remember a lot of USB hardware saying "Windows 98 SE only" because it was basically borked (or to put it charitably - very basic) in the original 98.

In both cases you had to pay. I know, because I was a K6-2 owner with USB devices!

I had the same problem so I switched to Linux full time. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline toRus

• Show only replies by toRus
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2011, 05:58:15 PM »
I have 4.0 on my Classic, 4.1 on my A1 and 4.1 on my Sam440ep - if I were to upgrade them all I'd be looking at close to £300, which is much more than I can afford!

If you want to "upgrade" you spend £300. If you want to buy them new you spend ... £300. That's the real problem, there is no real upgrade path. And yes, it sucks.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »
I never had to pay one thin dime for the K6-2 or USB fixes for Windows 95/98, or any other incremental service pack.  Only people I ever heard having issues with that back in the day were the ones not running legal copies of said OS.

I've never paid a cent for any Windows update or fix within release cycle  Full versions, of course (95 to 95, 98 to 2000, 2000 to XP, etc.)  Service packs have never been a pay for deal as long as I have been using Windows.

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2011, 08:37:24 AM »
No-one said update 3 was perfect

On the contrary, *plenty* said that...

but in no way was it as bad as it was being accused of.

It was surely bad enough for Hyperion to quickly announce a OS4.1.4 hotfix instead of going directly towards OS4.2.0 as planned.

This seems to be very hard for some people to take in...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)