Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Sonic the Hedgehog Amiga Fangame Project  (Read 6829 times)

Description:

Offline Christian Johansson

• Show only replies by Christian Johansson
Re: New Sonic the Hedgehog Amiga Fangame Project
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 10:20:30 PM »
Looks pretty neat. Maybe you can find some coders on EAB.

Offline A4000_Mad

• Show only replies by A4000_Mad
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 11:35:54 PM »

Rebel-CD32 wrote:
A4000_Mad, I hope your daughter enjoys the game, we'll certainly try our best to make some fun levels for it. How well did Sonic run on the PPC? That's something I'd love to see.

Just checked again and it runs at perfect speed using a CSPPC at 233Mhz. A CD32 control pad is the only supported joystick with AmiGenerator and works great. I'm using screenmode 'CVision3D: 320x240 8bit' which displays the game at full screen size on a PC monitor with the A4000. But I would say that your version of Sonic looks and sounds a bit better on the A1200 Desktop with Philips CM8833 :-)
A4000 Mad

Offline AmiBoy

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 10:58:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

Just wish I could help, but I cant code/draw/compose music. I suppose im more of an ideas man/designer(?)

Hopefully someone with the right skills joins the team as I have a few ideas to pass onto them!

Thanks,
Amiboy
Escom A1200, Power Tower, OS3.9 & BB2, HD-Floppy drive, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000 16MB, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Tuner Card, 10/100MBit Ethernet card, Apollo 68060 66MHz with 64MB, 9.5Gig HD and 52xCDRom

Also one spare unworking bare A1200

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »
If I had the time I'd give it a go... a game like Sonic is a rather simple game engine... If someone has all the GFX then it would be really easy to put together, would take a fair bit of time though...

-Edit- Thinking about it, Bitz2 would be perfectly able to make this game..

Offline Rebel-CD32Topic starter

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 03:34:44 AM »
That's great to know, A4000_Mad. Someday I'll have a PPC Amiga and be running the real game too. PAL/NTSC monitors always show those old low res games nicer than a PC monitor, it must be the scanlines and the slight blur between pixels that makes them look better.

Here's the latest version of the Sonic game I've made. This is it for me, I'm giving the project to the community to continue now so I can get back to working on real Amiga games. I have added a very short second level. I've pushed Backbone to its limits, but this demo should give people an idea of all that's possible to make a Sonic game. You'll see what I mean, and sorry about the jerkiness, it's as smooth as it gets in Backbone.

http://www.spin.net.au/~amiga/Sonic030.lha

This one is also optimised for running on a 030, so it's somewhere between the other two demos in terms of screen size and speed.

I'll set up a web page with all the relative files for people to download and have a play around with in Backbone. I'm not "giving up" or anything, but I never even intended to keep going this far with this Sonic game, since I really should be working on graphics for Annihilation and Halloween Nightmare. So I hope others will want to continue with the game, there's a lot of potential for something fun in there.

I hope you enjoy, I've done the best that can be done within Backbone's limitations.
Amiga user forever.

Offline pan1k

• Show only replies by pan1k
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 03:51:42 AM »
How to burn with makecd?
A4K: \\\'060, Cyberstorm MKIII Cybervision 64/3D w/ Scandoubler, Buddha Flash XSurf, MP3@64, A4K: \\\'040, Toaster, Y/C, A1200: Apollo \\\'040, A1200 GVP \'030, A1200: Stock, A2000: 68K, Trump SCSI, Supra 8Mb, and Toaster 4K, A2500: \\\'030, GVP SCSI, Supra 8MB x2, Video Toaster, CD32, Minimig, Efika and Hopefully an A4000T soon!

Offline A4000_Mad

• Show only replies by A4000_Mad
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 08:35:44 AM »
@ Rebel-CD32

I'll download the new file and give it a go. Many thanks again for all you have done :pint:

@ pan1k

I tried to create a little Make CD tutorial in the 4th post down of THIS thread :-)
A4000 Mad

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 08:53:58 AM »
@Rebel-cd32

I would be carfeful about admiting that you have ripped the graphics etc straight from the game and then distributing it, even for free.  Its still copyright infingement.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 08:54:39 AM »
I would expect that the real Sonic could be ported to Amiga somewhat easily and run quite well on an A500.  The Genesis hardware is based around a 68000 and a Z80, the later for sound processing.  IIRC, the graphics engine was also very similar to the Amiga.

Anyone have any technical info on how Genesis emulators work on the Amiga?

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 09:06:10 AM »
Not that I want to undermine the hard work that has gone in to this, but am I the only one who thinks Sonic is overrated? The slow bits when you're just walking around are boring, and the fast bits where you're zooming along the loops and the tubes are frustrating. Especially in the later Sonic games there seemed to be extended periods where the game seemed to play itself as Sonic zoomed along, only to land perilously close to some spikes.

I'd rather play Zool TBH.
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline Reynolds

• Show only replies by Reynolds
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 09:18:04 AM »

Flashlab wrote:
The things that make Sonic a great game are speed and the loops IMHO. Those things won't be able with Backbone or Amos. Without those I'm afraid this project won't be anything more than nice try but no sigar.

"They said: There will never be fast texture-mapping engine available on Amiga, due to HW limitations."

...   ;-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »

Reynolds wrote:

Flashlab wrote:
The things that make Sonic a great game are speed and the loops IMHO. Those things won't be able with Backbone or Amos. Without those I'm afraid this project won't be anything more than nice try but no sigar.

"They said: There will never be fast texture-mapping engine available on Amiga, due to HW limitations."

...   ;-)

Well they were sort of right... you need a massive CPU to do all the GFX work and then pump the GFX into the Frambuffer... I remember Gloom was OK on my 030 A1200... but to be really honest, by that time, A cheap PC was already better...

Using AMOS or Backbone (not that I've actually used Backbone), is not really possible... I could probably get something together using AMAL... but ASM, C or better still Blitz2 would give better results and be easier.

Offline Rebel-CD32Topic starter

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
Amiga user forever.

Offline Flashlab

• Show only replies by Flashlab
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2008, 07:56:50 AM »
@Rebel-CD32

Weren't you that guy that was having a poll about what kind of game the Amiga community would like to have? I thought you were going to make an original game and start a software house? What happened to that project? Did you have problems finding programmers?
Amiga 4000D Cyberstorm PPC 060@50 604@200 SCSI 130Mb Ram G-Rex Voodoo3 PicassoIV Paloma Ariadne Delfina Lite

Online Flash version of BoulderDash: Offline...

Offline DamageX

• Show only replies by DamageX
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2008, 09:42:15 AM »
Aside from the 68000, and perhaps the similar resolution and number of colors, the Genesis and Amiga are very different. Sonic does a great job of taking advantage of the former's abilities, which include two separate character-based BG layers. Having the multiple, independently scrolling layers would be problematic on OCS/ECS because if you use the hardware dual playfield mode you're limitted to 3-bits per pixel per layer (8 colors). I think you could make a great Sonic clone that way but the look would be inferior (probably OK on AGA though with 2x 4-bpp layers). Alternatively you could use 5 or more bitplanes and only fill in the edges of the screen between frames as you scroll. Parallax effects would have to be mostly abandoned, so again it wouldn't look as nice as the original. In any case, please don't use double frame buffers and settle for a crappy frame rate.

As for the copyright infringement aspect, it should be noted that there are various Sega related fan games floating around and AFAIK they have never complained. Someone I know that is involved with one such project said a Sega employee OK'd it (unofficially).

Offline uncharted

• Show only replies by uncharted
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 28, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »

bloodline wrote:

Well they were sort of right... you need a massive CPU to do all the GFX work and then pump the GFX into the Frambuffer... I remember Gloom was OK on my 030 A1200... but to be really honest, by that time, A cheap PC was already better....

Erm, isn't that pretty much what all '3d' games did up until the advent of 3D accelerators?  That 'Massive' 030 CPU had been standard in big-box models since 1990, so what isn't 'Amiga' about it?  We're not talking about Wipeout's PPC+GFX card (effectively bypassing the Amiga in every way) requirements here.

And just to give a little context here, this is 1995 we're talking about -  Average PC prices on the high street were still over a grand.  Hardly 'cheap'.