Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: YAM 2.8 Released  (Read 1002 times)

Description:

Offline x303Topic starter

YAM 2.8 Released
« on: December 24, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
Changes

Here is a brief list of the most important changes since the 2.7 release in December 2011:

• updated translations for czech, french, german, italian, swedish, spanish, turkish and english-british language.
  • integration of online documentation system and removal of obsolete amigaguides, see ​http://docs.yam.ch/
  • general performance improvements and general bug fixing.
  • moved CC and BCC as well as Reply-To: address field from  separate "Options" tab to the first page of the write window and made it  user-configurable.
  • integrated a multi-identity system which allows to define an  unlimited number of identities and link SMTP servers to each identity so  that different settings per identity are possible (including different  signatures).
  • implemented unlimited signature support through new multi-identity system integrated in YAM.
  • multiple and unlimited SMTP-Server support. Now users can  define any number of SMTP servers and link them to the new identity  management system.
  • implemented new "Drafts" folder system to allow to put autosave  files as well as storing mails on hold into a separate folder commonly  used in other mail clients.
  • All Themes, Certificates, user configurable Spamfilters and the  Gallery directory are now per default stored in a PROGDIR:Resources sub  directory to not clutter the PROGDIR: directory too much. In future  more and more user configurable setting directories will move there,  too.
  • YAM will now trust certain external SPAM filter engines (e.ġ.  Spamassassin) when retrieving external emails and trying to identify  SPAM. Own external spam filter rules can now be configured in  PROGDIR:Resources/Spamfilters if necessary.
  • Added full SSL certificate authentication support. If  connecting to an SSL secured mail server (POP3/SMTP) YAM will now verify  the certificate and compare it against official certificate chains. If a  certificate is identified to be not trustable a warning will be  presented to the user.
  • autosave mails now contain receivers and sender information so  that upon recovering those mails the full entered information is  presented again.
  • Full support for the new "Mail-Followup-To:" and "Mail-Reply-To:" header fields which are commonly used for mailing lists.
  • Sent mails can now be replied as well.
  • implemented own mail download intervals per POP3 server along with individual mail size limits per POP3 server.
  • implemented new arexx command to search for messages via message ID.
  • added a string gadget to the "no subject warning requester" so that a missing subject can be immediately be added.
  • improved Daylight Saving recognition and removed irritating DST  switching warnings for systems known to behave correctly when DST are  switched.
  • large restructuring of the configuration GUI to match new  identity and multiple SMTP feature. In addition, things belonging to the  Look&Feel of the GUI had been moved to the corresponding config  item.
  • fixed certain PGP related problems causing signature check failures.
  • fixed a bunch of problems related to the autocompletion features in the recipient string objects of the write window.
  • lots of other improvement we don't remember right now (keep in mind: one year of development was put into YAM 2.8!)
For more information on all implemented changes in YAM 2.8 please see the detailed ChangeLog file as well as the YAM 2.8 information page.

You can find the download archive for your machine here: http://yam.ch/downloads

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
Re: YAM 2.8 Released
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 08:51:11 AM »
So which is better these days?  YAM or SimpleMail?

I used YAM for a few years (around late 1990s or early 2000s) but eventually I had 10,000 Amiga emails and YAM would take about 30 minutes to load and completely fraggle my memory into 100,000 useless fragments and make the whole computer go in slow motion like Windoze XP.  So I had to abandon YAM.  This all happened many years before Chris Hodges saved the Amiga with TLSFmem util.

Did YAM ever fix their "spam the memory pool" coding technique?

Or would I be forced to try SimpleMail?

Or just stick with using Chrome or Firefox + Yahoomail on a bgcpc?
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline x303Topic starter

Re: YAM 2.8 Released
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
Quote from: ChaosLord;720273
So which is better these days?  YAM or SimpleMail?

I used YAM for a few years (around late 1990s or early 2000s) but eventually I had 10,000 Amiga emails and YAM would take about 30 minutes to load and completely fraggle my memory into 100,000 useless fragments and make the whole computer go in slow motion like Windoze XP.  So I had to abandon YAM.  This all happened many years before Chris Hodges saved the Amiga with TLSFmem util.

Did YAM ever fix their "spam the memory pool" coding technique?

Or would I be forced to try SimpleMail?

Or just stick with using Chrome or Firefox + Yahoomail on a bgcpc?

Don't have 10000 mails, more like 100. Works for me. But they fixed the indexing a while ago, so you should try it out yourself and see if it works now. Or else make a bugreport.