Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CommodoreUSA CEO Interview Answers  (Read 40659 times)

Description:

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
Re: CommodoreUSA CEO Interview Answers
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »
Why should we ask any questions to a producer/assembler of a
regular PC computer when the only connection between this
system and Amiga is by UAE?
We are re-releasing computers bearing the famous Commodore and
AMIGA brands that many people cut-their-teeth with and loved.

But they are not re-releasing computers. They are re-using names. The computers have nothing else whatsoever to do with their name predecessors, so I just can't see this as re-releasing anything.

We don’t want to put all our eggs in the replica basket.

They did one replica, the C64. There's not ANY "Amiga" eggs in this basket at all. Mustangs, Minis and Beetles are at least inspired by their classic designs. Other than for the C64 casework, I don't see any related inspiration at all. I agree that they need to go with the times, and today things are different than back in Amiga Classic days. Giant towers are out, tiny Mini-ITX is in. But saying that their designs are inspired by the classics is a bit of a stretch. It's like when I was trying to figure out how the first new Dodge Chargers related to the classic Charger. It just didn't. The last year or two they've at least made it better, but I still don't see the lineage. The Challenger I'd call a success in being inspired by the classic lineage, but they kindof lost it with the Charger.

He said a number of times that there are no discussions with Hyperion or etc. I'd like to know if CommodoreUSA has made legitimate attempts to contact Hyperion or other named companies in the questions to initiate such discussions, or if they are so disinterested in such things that no contact has been attempted and CUSA do not intend to try.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:04:49 PM by billt »
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
What percentage of markup do you apply to your off the shelf
components, it seems dreadfully high?

Really? Same as Apple. They take their raw cost of materials and
DOUBLE it. That becomes their approx. selling price.  OK, I know we
are not Apple, but the principle remains the same.

No. Apple spend billions on themed consistent case design and a writing a bespoke OS, you bought some fugly cases.AIOs from China and slop a DVD-R of Linux with 1$ of inkjet printed case/leaflet :roflmao:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2012, 07:30:43 PM »
It is interesting reading but I am afraid Amiga brand is finished. MorphOS and AROS are way to go.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline Digiman

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
Quote from: persia;689112
@Nameless

OS4 and MOS are both the equivalent of MacOS 9.  They are as far as you can go with the original operating system.  The point where there is no patching able to make the operating system modern, the cost of rewriting AmigaOS to run on top of a Linux kernel, like Apple did with a BSD kernel, is too high and the payback is too small.  A decade or two in stagnation is too much to recover from.

C=USA is not in the retro business, except as it sells machines.  Yes the handful of us who still love and appreciate AmigaOS or the original C64 may not buy their products, but somebody who had a C64 as a child and hasn't seen or used one in many years might.  I've been thinking about getting the C64x, loading Windows 8 on it and using it as a conversation piece.  A bit of kitsch...  A souvenir of the early computer days that has some use.

Then they should stop selling substandard Wintel machine with C=/Amiga stickers for Apple RRPs and f**k off if they don't like the responses.

We only asked for bespoke replica cases suitable for Micro ATX or larger motherboards AT THE VERY LEAST. :)

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
at CommodoreUSA office....

Offline Nameless

• Show only replies by Nameless
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2012, 07:44:10 PM »
@Persia

Yeah, I had that same issue brought up when I posted in CUSA's site too. When I say porting AOS, I mean updating it, as well.

It can be argued that it's not worth it. That it's too far behind to even bother with. Okay, but then why does CUSA say in the same breath that they'd like to offer AROS as a complimentary OS with their systems?

A port of AOS or Morphos does not have to remain stagnant. And neither would have to be the sole OS on the system either.

But even if we go with the idea that both are too far behind to be salvaged...

Then create a new OS, but add Amiga-like elements, graphics, certain levels of compatibility, etc. COS isn't it. By law, they can't make their OS anything like an Amiga OS.

Which is the key problem for them and why calling their systems an Amiga seems somewhat silly to me. If it's nothing like an Amiga besides an engraving, what's the point?

As for a C-64, the selling point is the retro design. I can understand (although disagree with the pricing), someone wanting one of those. Their Amigas look nothing like the original Amiga, has no similarity regarding software or OS, there is nothing unique about the hardware... so... again, there is nothing remotely Amiga-like about it.

Another thing I was not aware of was the reason for the advertising budget claim of 30 million dollars, or however much they stated. I am curious if Barry will answer a question that immediately comes to mind...

Why did CUSA not correct this mistake immediately? It's one thing to apologize and blame their advertising company, but they knowingly allowed the lie to persist. One could call it creative marketing... or as that Dibert comic amusingly illustrates, it could also be called fraud as marketing.

Offline itix

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2012, 07:44:25 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;689116
Then they should stop selling substandard Wintel machine with C=/Amiga stickers for Apple RRPs and f**k off if they don't like the responses.

You dont have to buy Amiga products if you dont like it. Simple as that.

Offline Digiman

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2012, 07:45:57 PM »
Why don't you cooperate with Yoz Montana in the matter of
Amiga cases which are modern, original and have some retro
feeling?

Frankly, because we have much better and more realistic ideas. His
design looks great, but when he designed it he seemed to forget you
need room for actual hardware inside. Of course we provided him with
feedback, and he came back with another larger design, but we
weren’t so enamoured with it. It really is a balancing act between
looks and functionality.

Erm

1, you STOLE his Amiga 500 inspired design and removed his name from image.

2, Amiga Mini $30 case is smaller than all his designs.

More evasive BS from Mr BS :)

Rich Text Format version of answers here
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 07:56:21 PM by Digiman »

Offline motrucker

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
What a bunch of crap!  Why does this idiot get all this free exposure on the site anyway? It makes me sick.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 07:51:07 PM »
I really wanted to read that, honest, I did.  But after the "No contest - I win!" comment in the first paragraph, I gave up.  :(  It's nice to be enthusiastic and all, but geeze.  :-/
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline Digiman

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »
Quote from: itix;689122
You dont have to buy Amiga products if you dont like it. Simple as that.

They are NOT "Amiga products".

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
Quote from: persia;689112
@Nameless

OS4 and MOS are both the equivalent of MacOS 9.  They are as far as you can go with the original operating system.

True! MorphOS 4.x is the way to go (after 3.x of course)! :D
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline itix

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:03 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;689131

Of course they are not more Amiga than MorphOS, AROS, Pegasos, Hyperion's OS4, Natami, Minimig, AmigaOne... you name it... but even the original Commdore sold cheap PC clones under Commodore brand. I dont understand why some people go apecrap when someone is selling PC clones under Amiga brand. It is just a name for god sake.

Offline billt

• Show only replies by billt
    • http://www.billtoner.net
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:11 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;689131

The problem here is that, legally, they are. As far as visible or experiencable content, in our opinions, they are not. While we don't have to accept these "things" as what we believe "Amigas" to be, if we went to court and asked the judge to prevent CUSA from using the Amiga name in the way that they do, we would lose and CUSA would keep the right to do that, so long as they are not breaking some terms of all the contracts involved. (including those contracts not signed directly but CUSA but which Amiga Inc. is bound to restrict their sublicensors to)
Bill T
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 08:19:07 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;689136
True! MorphOS 4.x is the way to go (after 3.x of course)! :D

Yes, and don`t forget the AmigaOS 5 (by Amiga Inc?) or maybe without them, right after 4.2 and 4.3 :-) Assume it will also have all those modern features and will not be PPC (only)
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #74 from previous page: April 17, 2012, 08:21:29 PM »
Quote from: itix;689138
Of course they are not more Amiga than MorphOS, AROS, Pegasos, Hyperion's OS4, Natami, Minimig, AmigaOne... you name it... but even the original Commdore sold cheap PC clones under Commodore brand. I dont understand why some people go apecrap when someone is selling PC clones under Amiga brand. It is just a name for god sake.

They are no more Amiga then Android / iPhone running UAE or similar. Nothing is Amiga Classic but the Classic, but somehow doubt CUSA will make it to Amiga History pages, at last not by good

Before no one sold PC clones under Amiga Brand, but the iCoin shop was far more creative: why not offering them all
and even without Amiga Forever (not a bad product for itself, great emu box)?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:24:17 PM by vox »
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja