Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 5 CD for the AmigaONE X1000 "First Contact" system has gone GOLD!  (Read 11639 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
So many words, so little content.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline BillE

• Show only replies by BillE
Quote from: Piru;677874
Can you answer those questions then? Oh wait, I forgot, you're under NDA...
I guess it's up to the end users to find out for themselves what they're stuck with.
Am I really THAT unreasonable to think this situation just stinks?

1. Yes, I would get shot if I mentioned more. Just be happy it is released and not a figment like you naysayers were saying not long ago.

2. So you will have to wait for an end user to tell you how good it is.

3. Yes you are.

Offline wawrzon

Quote from: Piru;677874
I guess it's up to the end users to find out for themselves what they're stuck with.

Am I really THAT unreasonable to think this situation just stinks?

i think they are doing it for a thrill anyway. what else could be a reason to get ivolved with that?

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Quote from: drHirudo;677862
Damn, I would had a bet today that you will be the first to post on AmigaOS 4.1 news item.

Well, I simply spotted that one of the stake-holders of th X1000 was marketing his product by calling it "Amiga", which they specifically don't have a license to do. And the thing is, there are other entities who paid good money *to have* that right, and who also have the right to *take legal actions* against such infringements. They can call it "AmigaOne" or "Amiga One" in their marketing, but they can't market it as "Amiga". Potentially, mistakes/violitions like that could jeopardize the whole Amiga Inc <-> Hyperion settlement, depending on the mood of the other relevant IP holders...

;)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline number6

Quote from: takemehomegrandma;677875
Another question this PR raises is:

Ssolie previously said that OS4.1.3, OS4.1.4 and OS4.1.5 was all planned as part of his "frequent update releases" scheme, but this new PR almost sounds like the OS4.1.5 will only be for the X1000, and the new version for all the other supported hardware platforms will be OS4.2.0? So which one is it? Will OS4.1.5 be released as a bugfix update for existing OS4.1.4 users as well, and will it finally be an ISO (or maybe they will get the CD as well)? Or if no bugfix release will follow OS4.1.4 for existing OS4 users, will OS4.2.0 be a free upgrade for them as well, or was 4.1.4 how far the existing users will come without having to buy the OS once again at the release of OS4.2.0?

With AmigaOS 4.1 Update 5 completed for the AmigaONE X1000 we can concentrate on versions for all the other supported hardware platforms as we continue to push towards the future release of AmigaOS 4.2.

How is that NOT clear?

Quote from: number6;677883
How is that NOT clear?

OK, English is not my native language, but I take it from your tone that I'm missing out on the obvious here. I guess I'll have to wait and see then...

Offline wawrzon

Trevor Dickinson added, "I have just received my own AmigaONE X1000 system and I hope "First Contact" owners will have as much fun as I'm having with my new "Amiga". All that remains to be said is let's "keep this part going!"

amazing to see they actually started to put "amiga" inside a quote. spotted a real typo through just in the following sentence.

"keep this part going!"

Quote from: wawrzon;677887
spotted a real typo through just in the following sentence.

They can't discard/explain this away as a typo, they are not allowed to use "Amiga" in their marketing, period. I believe I recall ssolie did the same once as well...

Offline jorkany

• Show only replies by jorkany
    • http://www.amigaos4.com
Again with the "GONE GOLD", as if OS4 has sold over 500,000 copies.

Offline stevieu

• Show only replies by stevieu
    • http://myspace.com/stevieu83
Quote from: jorkany;677893

"going gold"—is a term used when software is ready for or has been delivered or provided to the customer.

I think they're just stating it as it is ;)

Steve

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Quote from: stevieu;677894
"going gold"—is a term used when software is ready for or has been delivered or provided to the customer.

Steve

In the past didn't it refer to a program being put on a "master" CD with gold colored substrate, ready for mass duplication?

Anyway it's a misuse of the term.

Not that this has ever stopped them.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline jorkany

Quote from: number6;677868
A-Eon=hardware - Hyperion=software

A-Eon talking about s/w is akin to Apple talking about MorphOS. It makes no sense.
I'm sure the Hyperion blog will cover what you are asking.

Normally you're on the ball #6, but in this case not so much. One of the reasons kas1e decided to stop OS4 development was because Hyperion doesn't post that kind of information, and ssolie even confirmed that they do not plan to. I expect what will be in the official support blog is a vague " bug fixes and/or improvements" with no specific or useful technical information.

Also, yes, it's A-eon on the hardware side, but it's up to Hyperion to make OS4 take full advantage of the hardware on the X1000, which it currently does not (to put it mildly). Thankfully Varisys ported Linux so the boards aren't completely useless.

Quote from: jorkany;677893

Maybe it just mean that they have now collected €500,000 EUR (from 200 customers paying €2500 each), meaning GOLD in their pockets? ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:13:42 PM by takemehomegrandma »

Offline jorkany

Quote from: stevieu;677894

Steve

Sounds like somebody is deliberately confusing it with the term "gone live" which actually is used in the world of professional software development. But if it makes somebody at Hyperion feel like OS4 is a lot bigger than it actually is, good for them.

Offline stevieu

• Show only replies by stevieu
    • http://myspace.com/stevieu83
Quote from: jorkany;677899
Sounds like somebody is deliberately confusing it with the term "gone live" which actually is used in the world of professional software development. But if it makes somebody at Hyperion feel like OS4 is a lot bigger than it actually is, good for them.

Well, we're not talking about music sales here ;)

Offline number6

Re: AmigaOS 4.1 Update 5 CD for the AmigaONE X1000 "First Contact" system has gone GO
« Reply #29 from previous page: January 28, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;677897
Normally you're on the ball #6, but in this case not so much. One of the reasons kas1e decided to stop OS4 development was because Hyperion doesn't post that kind of information, and ssolie even confirmed that they do not plan to. I expect what will be in the official support blog is a vague " bug fixes and/or improvements" with no specific or useful technical information.

Also, yes, it's A-eon on the hardware side, but it's up to Hyperion to make OS4 take full advantage of the hardware on the X1000, which it currently does not (to put it mildly). Thankfully Varisys ported Linux so the boards aren't completely useless.

Nevertheless, I see where ssolie could answer Piru's questions, which are questions a potential customer might ask. I also see those as quite different than what Roman's issues are, which would apply to specific changes that only a developer could relate to for his own benefit.