Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community  (Read 25712 times)

Description:

Offline Haranguer

• Show only replies by Haranguer
Re: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:45:05 AM »
Well, to put it simply, if you're going to put the Amiga name on a computer, make sure it ACTUALLY IS an Amiga (sorry for the shouting, but that needed to be shouted ...).  Don't offer me a Linux PC running UAE - I can do that without CUSA's help.

I could also build a PC running AROS myself, but I'd consider that a legitimate use of the name.

What I'd like to see is - a Natami, a Replay-based computer running the AGA Minimig core (yes, I know it's not finished yet ...), an AROS based PC, something that runs MorphOS ...

But, most of all, I want a computer that runs OS 4.x.  Admittedly, I'll be getting one soon - I've pre-ordered an X1000.

If CUSA really want to impress me, what I'd really, really like Santa to bring me is an Amiga touchpad, and perhaps an Amiga phone - this would require that OS 4.x be ported to ARM, 'cos I don't think you'll find a PPC touchpad, let alone a PPC phone.

If you could work with Hyperion to bring Amiga OS to standard architecture and to ARM, that would be enough for me.  That would be the best Christmas present of all.

Offline Tension

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
Fcuk. Off.

Offline TheDaddy

• Show only replies by TheDaddy
    • http://www.loriano.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »
Quote from: Tension;672024
Fcuk. Off.

Straight to the point, not messing about! :D

I wonder how many people feel like you do... :)

Offline TCMSLP

• Show only replies by TCMSLP
    • http://www.coherer.net
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »
I agree with the others.  You've proven you can make quality cases, so teaming up with one of the FPGA based solutions (ie Natami) and delivering a nice looking case (A1/3/4000 copy, plus keyboard or case to house an a1200 keyboard) seems like a realistic and achievable project with a reasonable expectation to make your minimum order.  Perhaps a changable rear plate could enable the case to be used for more than just the Natami.
A1200 50MHz 68030 16Mb, PCMCIA Ethernet, Indivision AGA MkIIcr
http://www.coherer.net Coherer: Electro!

Offline Daedalus

• Show only replies by Daedalus
    • http://www.robthenerd.com
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 11:24:32 AM »
Quote from: TCMSLP;672026
You've proven you can make quality cases,

Have they? There seemed to be a lot of noise about people having overheating issues with their first attempt. Maybe they've learned from that however...

To answer the question: A machine which runs AmigaOS (with whatever CPU you like), and runs OS4 and 68k software 100% transparently. That doesn't mean skinned or adapted Linux running UAE instances in windows, but means AmigaOS running natively on the machine. Fully cohesive and transparent, just like OS X is (or was) with PPC software and OS4 is with 68k software. Keyboards are already available with Amiga keys so that's taken care of, but feel free to do your own take on them.

I'd buy one anyway once price and performance were reasonable.
Engineers do it with precision
--
http://www.robthenerd.com

Offline gizz72

• Show only replies by gizz72
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
@CUSA
Why not recreate the original A1200/A4000 boards for starters what commdorejohn has posted here, or make accelerators which would implement PPC upgrades to make use of AOS4.1. If you've proven you can do that, then what everyone else have said in this thread would follow suit.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:45:46 AM by gizz72 »
Good day to all Amigans!
Please Check My FaceBook page
or my Resource Blog @ G.A.R.P.

SAM - SAMSUNG DB-Z2 Dual Core; 1 GB RAM; Dual Drive Win7 and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
GEORGE - TOSHIBA Satellite J41 ; 512MB RAM; Dual Partition WinXP and IcarosDesktopv1.5.2
MANNY - A1200 + CobraDKB \'030 w/ 32MB + DataF

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 11:57:58 AM »
So after lying to the community, getting caught with your pants down stealing text of one of your early websites direct from apples website, stealing graphics without the authors permission, insulting the community and its various camps, posting fake pictures of your "factory in asia" claiming the amiga community is not your target audience, hyping vaporware products and announcing how many computer models that never arrived? Announcing then hyping new computer models that then mysteriously disappear from your website,NOW you come and dictate terms and expect 500+ people to prepay for one of your products?

What happened to the tens of thousands of c64's you were supposed to have in big box retails stores? I would think thats enough to keep you busy, but then that was probably just more bull**** and hype, cause I sure haven't seen any in any stores.

So after hyping this c64 thing for what almost 2 years and selling what TENS of units, now whats this a last act of desperation before you throw in the towel?

After telling everyone to basically **** off because your doing things your way you can't come back to the community and expect its support. You've been an arrogant ******* claiming your plans of x86/linux are so much better for the amiga community, so why not stick to those plans and show us why you were so right? Oh wait thats right, no one cares about you putting a theme on mint linux and calling it commodoreos.

If you really wanted to make right, how about following through with your one time claims and announcments of heavily supporting AROS financially? Oh thats right, that was just more bull**** you retracted as soon as it didn't fit in your plans. Another lie along the way. I'd think 10,000$ contributed to the bounty system would go a long way towards making people trust what you say again.

Until then, your just a bull****ter, and no one here can trust anything you or your "company" says.

Steven

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
Well, since this is about writing nonsense anyway, I'd like a Pegasus like PPC motherboard with CPU processor card capable of holding latest PPC processors (Freescale and IBM) and memory included on the processor card for easier upgrade without having to buy new motherboard. I also want 2 PCIe X16 slots, 3 PCIe 1x and 2 or 3 PCI, USB3 and Gigabit ethernet. Basically a modern PPC motherboard with drivers ready to run AOS4 and MOS.

This can't be serious, the 6 months time line is completely unrealistic. Then there are probably more than 500 users interested but community is divided. Sounds more like coupon + TShirt part 2 if you ask me. The project would also have to be split in 4: AROS/OS4/MOS/Classic (OS4+MOS hardware are the same of course), cause that's how the community is split right now.

Besides, noone is gonna put their money on an Escrow account, at least I hope they don't! Just make the product and people will buy it, heck they are buying AmigaOneX1000's, which reminds me, you would have to make yours cheaper and you'll never get a license from Hyperion or MOS guys....

Forget it....
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »
One can dream, no?

Recreate an A4000D with real hardware (not FPGA or x86 emulation) including custom chipsets and a fast 680x0 processor as well as a 1ghz+ PPC and of course, Amiga OS. Also, replace Zorro slots with PCI/PCI-E, IDE with Sata3, etc.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:25:59 PM by Everblue »

Offline A6000

• Show only replies by A6000
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
The NatAmi team want a manufacturing partner so if CUSA can finance a production run of 500 then that will bring the NatAmi to market sooner rather than later, and if "enough" NatAmi computers are sold then Hyperion will port OS 4.x to 68k purely because it is profitable to do so.

Offline skurk

• Show only replies by skurk
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 01:07:28 PM »
Don't expect anything.  This is just a cheap flirt towards the "hardcore" community.

What they *want* to hear is what kind of PC do you want the next Amiga label on?
Code 6502 asm or... DIE!!

[C64, C128, A500, A600, A1200, A3000, MBP+Mini, Efika/MOS2.1, Sam440 w/AOS4.1

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 01:15:53 PM »
Does final challenge mean that you guys will finally go away if nothing is worked out?.

Like others have said, If it doesn't run AmigaOS/MorphOS/Aros native then it's just another X86 sticker box.

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 02:21:05 PM »
If you want my support, I would say only this:
Negotiate with Hyperion, MorphOS, support AROS and/or deliver a machine with an Amiga-like OS. I don't care which as long as you deliver a computer with an Amiga-like OS. Preferably affordable with a chance of a future. (Sorry guys, but that pretty much eliminates 68k or PPC.)

I also would not be against the Natami case option that others are suggesting here... but I'm less likely to buy into that.
Ed.

Offline Magitius

• Show only replies by Magitius
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
Quote from: EDanaII;672047
*snip* Preferably affordable with a chance of a future. (Sorry guys, but that pretty much eliminates 68k or PPC.)

The upcoming N68050 and N68070 cores from the NatAmi team are hardly expensive...?

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 02:49:16 PM »
And limited, ultimately, to 500 mhz, if I recall correctly. I'm not against Natami as a possible option, but in order for this to succeed, especially for the community's sake, it has to have a future. PPC and m68k are, effectively, dead ends. ARM or x86 would be better, but commodity hardware is your best hope and the further you move away from that the more that chance of success diminishes.

Now, I wouldn't mind a "fusion" project that uses Natami's architecture as a foundation, but, once again, the less commodity components it uses the smaller that future becomes...
Ed.

Offline Magitius

• Show only replies by Magitius
« Reply #29 from previous page: December 20, 2011, 03:05:33 PM »
From the NatAmi questions & answers:

"How much can be gained by transferring the FPGA to a custom fixed function chip ?
Oversimplified answer:

A - Medium price FPGA ~ 100-200 MHz
B - Very expensive FPGA ~ 250-500 MHz
C - Custom Chip based on little reworked FPGA code ~ 500 MHz
D - Custom Chip complete redesigned 500 MHz - Several GHz

But creating custom chip  (ASIC) does cost a lot of money.
Option C costs some money but less than a million.
Option D is too expensive for the Amiga market.
For the best price/performance mis we target solution (A) for now. "