Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)  (Read 12515 times)

Description:

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
Re: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)
« Reply #119 from previous page: November 07, 2011, 07:41:13 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;666857
Will it support the internal wireless if I provide the appropriate files from another source? I've got it working under Debian...

If you can write SANA-II driver I dont see any reason why it could not be used.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2011, 07:55:05 AM »
I'll make sure to forward your message on to the MorphOS Developer Team kolla, so they will be ready to provide the appropriate response to your "your all kinds of tricks".

@commodorejohn,

Provide your information about getting the internal Airport Extreme card working to the MorphOS Development Team, i am sure they will be interested in it, but it may take more than you think to access the internal Airport Extreme card from MorphOS3.0, I mean having a driver is not the only obstacle to getting wireless networking enabled using the internal Airport Extreme card, unless I am understanding the current situation incorrectly.  It would be great if a solution could be found to enable use of the Airport Extreme in the G4 PowerBook from MorphOS3.0, so please share what ever you know and have used from Debian to get it working with the MorphOS Dev. Team and I will hope for the best.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Piru

• \' union select name,pwd--
    • Show only replies by Piru
    • http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »
Yes, the built-in wireless card works under Linux. No, it won't directly give us wireless under MorphOS.

Offline kolla

« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2011, 10:25:58 AM »
Quote from: amigadave;666859
I'll make sure to forward your message on to the MorphOS Developer Team kolla, so they will be ready to provide the appropriate response to your "your all kinds of tricks".

Hardly any need is there, they're following this thread already. Are you saying it would be against a law, or the license, or whatever, to lie and trick the MorphOS Team to believe that a machine I own and that used to have MorphOS on it, is broken?

My point is just that the current licensing scheme encourages dishonousty, telling them "I've decided to use my mini for NetBSD and will rather use MorphOS on this Powerbook" gets you nowhere, while "My mini just died, tell me what evidence I need to fabricate, so I can transfer my license to this Powerbook" could easily work.

Provide your information about getting the internal Airport Extreme card working to the MorphOS Development Team, i am sure they will be interested in it, but it may take more than you think to access the internal Airport Extreme card from MorphOS3.0, I mean having a driver is not the only obstacle to getting wireless networking enabled using the internal Airport Extreme card, unless I am understanding the current situation incorrectly.  It would be great if a solution could be found to enable use of the Airport Extreme in the G4 PowerBook from MorphOS3.0, so please share what ever you know and have used from Debian to get it working with the MorphOS Dev. Team and I will hope for the best.

I'm quite certain that MorphOS team members like Piru and others are fully aware of how to get wpa_supplicant working with different kinds of WPA/WPA variants (CCMP/TKIP, PSK/802.1X, EAP ...) on Linux.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline Crumb

• Show only replies by Crumb
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »
It would be great if a solution could be found to enable use of the Airport Extreme in the G4 PowerBook from MorphOS3.0, so please share what ever you know and have used from Debian to get it working with the MorphOS Dev. Team and I will hope for the best.

Broadcom gave out the information about certain chipsets used in other products:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/open_source.php

unfortunately bcm4712kfb/bcm43xx doesn't seem to be there.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »
Quote from: itix;666858
If you can write SANA-II driver I dont see any reason why it could not be used.
A. I have zero experience writing drivers. [strike]B. this is not an open-source project, I'd be blindly contributing to a codebase I can't see.[/strike] okay, forgot SANA-II was an existing standard. Still, I was asking as a vacillating potential customer; I'd be more interested in something that worked out of the box.

Provide your information about getting the internal Airport Extreme card working to the MorphOS Development Team, i am sure they will be interested in it,
Uh, I didn't mean to imply that it was arcane magic that only I possess. I installed the b43 package from the repository (actually I'm not sure if this is Debian-general or MintPPC-specific) and it just worked. Looked like it had a utility to pull a proprietary firmware blob from somewhere, but I didn't look into it further than that.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 04:26:53 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;665153
@ Iggy

There was mention somewhere quite a while back that wireless support was one thing holding up the release. 3D, too. So they're both a definite "maybe" :)

Quote from: Kronos;665156
Dunno bout the 3D (but AFAIR it will either be in 3.0 or 3.1) wireless will only be supported via PCMCIA-cards (with the driver ported from AROS). Not sure what will be the deal on these. Will we each have to buy our own licences, or did the MorphOS-team make a bulk-deal with Mr Cafferkey ?

Anyways my card is finally on the way after the seller f####ed up my pick up address.

At this point, it doesn't appear that we will be getting R300 3D drivers.

However, the news about PCMCIA cards is welcomed.
What about other Macs (other then the Powerbook) though?
ASFAIK the wireless slot of a G4 is not fully PCMCIA compatible.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline kamelito

« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2011, 08:06:39 PM »
Quote from: Piru;666861
Yes, the built-in wireless card works under Linux. No, it won't directly give us wireless under MorphOS.

I assume then that's it's a way easier to port Aros drivers than Linux one's to Morphos. Is the info provided in the Linux source code of any help? I thought that talking to the card itself was OS independent.  Kamel

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2011, 08:51:35 PM »

This post isn't a slam towards the MOS dudes at all - in fact, they have been entirely cordial and open to my questions when I contacted them directly, and I appreciate that and it goes a long way to me becoming a registered MOS user.  Now...

It was a valid question that has not been answered, Dave.  The "everyone is a criminal!!111" angle with the A.org clownshow here is getting mighty, mighty old.  I do find it hysterical that this has turned into a piracy argument when there's absolutely no mention of screwing MOS Team over, virtually no chance of it.  I like MOS, as do others.  If it was going to be cracked, it would have been by now, and that would be a real shame.  No one brought up the piracy angle other than you guys, lol.  Despite the HW locked issue, people still seem to have this accusatory tone.  It sucks, and it's harming the good offerings of the product they have.  I'm not stirring the pot to get them to change their reg methods - it's their ball game to run, and I respect that, but the weird accusations, enough.  Your piracy police words took the cake, Dave.

Forward what you want, lol.  Thankfully the MOS team are pretty receptive when asked in private about the ins and outs when you ask them.  I'm sure you've already forwarded all the messages from people that have pointed out that hardware could be maliciously destroyed and passed off as "broken" to the MOS devs in order to milk them out of a re-reg, and conveniently ignored the fact the license is hardware locked to a specific machine to begin with and can't be used twice without cracking reg schemes to begin with.  MOS gets regged cause it's a good piece of kit, it stands on its' own merits - but when people ask simple questions on go the tinfoil police hats.  Really, dude?  Policing a forums and "forwarding messages about peoples tricks"?  That isn't concern for the future of a community nor a product, that's being a weirdo.  You're being a weirdo with such statements, Amigadave - and it makes people uncomfortable.  Certainly you can see that, no?  Colonel Number One User does good!  Forwards all posts from people he thinks are shady!

"What have YOU done for the Amiga?" in the sig?  "Well, I spent some of the day collecting the names and posts of people I suspect are no goodnik future PIE-RATS of a hobby OS that no one has cracked yet, likely due to respect for all the hard work the team puts in, THEN!!!! I sent them in as fact rather than openly debate some politely worded queries from the community!  I'll try and get their IP's and mailing addresses soon for you!!111"  

Report away, I pay for what I use, including the handful of copies I've paid for over the years for WB, Amiga Forever and OS4, and I'll pay for MOS if/when I decide it is for me.

This place gets more offputting by the day.  I can deal with the love of ones particular camp, even though I am entirely neutral on the issue and see all variants as a boon to the Amiga hobby, but man...  I can't get past the creepy police state nonsense that could border on a privacy concern from a guy when it was only an open, public debate.  You might as well have told us you're going through our RL mail and garbage cans, "sniffing for clues", Dave.  Best one yet...  Again, no harm no foul towards the MOS dudes, but man...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:54:35 PM by Duce »

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »
Have/will this bugs be fixed for 3.0?

1.MorphOS DDC bug
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58828

2.Ambient panel bug
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58869

I am still keeping my PowerMac G4 with OSX in the hope that that some day those MOS bugs get fixed so that I can give MOS a proper try.

Offline Crumb

« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:06 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;666901
Have/will this bugs be fixed for 3.0?

1.MorphOS DDC bug
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58828

A friend of mine had a similar problem. Until that is fixed you could try to use a vga cable without DDC signals.

2.Ambient panel bug
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58869

Wow! that looks really strange. Could it be related to your gfx card running out of ram? There's a sBar module to show free gfx ram in the screen tittle bar.

Have you tried other gfx card? Does memtest work 100% ok?
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2011, 06:27:37 AM »
My gfx card and monitors work beautifully under OSX and Linux. The problem is only MOS related.
And regarding the proposed vga cable fix, it is not a good solution either, just read the thread.
I erased MOS from my HDD and installed OSX untill display problems get fixed. It is really annoying to resort to use an old CRT monitor in this age, just to get MOS display its Ambient screen.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2011, 07:32:01 AM »
Dunno if this has been asked here before or not, but one thing I've always wondered is if there is going to be any more development put towards backwards compatibility?

Granted, the compatibility is already superb and much better than I honestly expected in many cases, but there are those few apps that still act a little strange.

I noticed that certain paint programs work perfectly, but strangely enough when you drag a window around their environment, you'll notices that the grey background, turns a different shade of grey where ever the box has been dragged.

A MINOR complaint, but something of note none the less.

Then there is OctaMED Sound Studio. OS 4 users are able to enjoy this lovely piece of software, but MorphOS users are met with a frozen screen when they launch the program.

There's a few more that should work, but lock up the system and or flake out, but at the moment I can't think of them, my system's been down for a minute.

Game wise I recall WipeOut running really well, but I think that's the only Warp title that I ever got to run if memory serves correctly.

I was hyped at the prospect of being able to play Shogo on my Morph machine, but alas, I'm one of those lucky few who are not able to get in game sound, though sound works perfectly within the menus.  When ever I have asked for help in regards to this, people tell me over and over again that it's just quirky like that. Sound works for some, not for others.

P.S. Why is ImageFX so much of a pain to get installed without it locking up the system?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2011, 07:53:28 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;667087
My gfx card and monitors work beautifully under OSX and Linux. The problem is only MOS related.
And regarding the proposed vga cable fix, it is not a good solution either, just read the thread.
I erased MOS from my HDD and installed OSX untill display problems get fixed. It is really annoying to resort to use an old CRT monitor in this age, just to get MOS display its Ambient screen.

I would not call this a MorphOS bug that needs to be fixed, just because it does not recognize your monitor DDC and MacOSX and Linux on the same computer hardware do.  They have slightly higher numbers of coders working on those two other platforms.  Isn't it more like a definition that needs to be added to be recognized by MorphOS, than a bug?  Granted this is over my head, so I am just guessing, but since MorphOS recognizes all of my monitors without any trouble, and I have several, I know that the monitor recognition part of MorphOS does work most of the time.

If I did not understand your problem from what I read in the thread you provided links to, then forgive me.  I have not experienced any of the problems you are describing on any monitor I have tried on my several MorphOS computers, crt monitors and lcd monitors.

I hope you can get the help you need from one of the MorphOS Developers to solve your screen settings problem that will allow you to use any monitor you wish to use.  Sorry I don't have the experience to help you.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:07:25 AM by amigadave »
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline Crumb

« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2011, 11:41:56 AM »
Quote from: Gulliver;667087

I*know. That's exactly what happened to a friend with his peg2.

I tested it on my friends Peg2 and it solved the problem. But if you don't like the idea you can do other things:
a) rename sys:morphos/libs/ddc.library to anything else. That will disable DDC completely, it's the most "rude" solution.
b) connect your crt, save some basic 31Khz modes you know that will work in the TFT monitor and once it's more or less configured copy env:cybergraphx/RadeonMonitor to envarc:cybergraphx it should leave there the settings. It's the best choice because OS updates will respect your settings, otherwise you will have to rename ddc.library each time you update the OS.

Then, boot with the TFT monitor and configure properly the screenmodes.

You don't have to use a CRT monitor. DDC works most of times, you are the 2nd person I know with problems. There are workarounds. I didn't read any post from you at MorphZone or morphos mailing list so your questions passed unnoticed, you deleted it too fast IMHO.

I hope you can configure MorphOS properly, I deleted OSX from my Mac Mini and I'm very happy with MorphOS
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:44:08 AM by Crumb »