Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)  (Read 12795 times)

Description:

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:29:35 AM »
At the Amiganoid 2011 event held on 17th of September 2011 in Essen/Germany, the MorphOS team were present and demonstrated the latest development version of MorphOS on PowerBooks (among other HW). During this time they also released the news that version 2.8 is "cancelled", and instead MorphOS will bump up to v3.0! Among the news is also a now official announcement of support for Power Book laptop computers from Apple.

Here is a MorphOS developer's comments on the issue:

The idea is MorphOS 3.0 would be the next public version and will introduce support for PowerBook (only 15" and 17" PowerBook5,6-5,9 which are the two latest revisions RevD and RevE):

- It will be a completely *free* (as in money free, nobody would have to pay) upgrade for already registered users.
- There will probably be some experimental wireless support for a few external cardbus cards featuring WPA/WPA2. That was demonstrated in Essen.
- There will be enhanced 3D drivers for the R2xx range of Radeon cards
- Proper use of AGP bus has been added where reasonable and available, helping on some low vmem issues with Mac mini for example
- There will be a builtin CD/DVD recording tool named Jalapeno.
- There will be various other enhancements which are not disclosed yet.

As a final note, G5 iMac/PowerMac support will not be released anytime soon. It was just some experiment. No development work is done on it. The focus is now on bug fixing and implementing remaining features for 3.0.
(Link)

Also, it won't be released before December.

:)
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
Re: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 04:16:31 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;660378
At the Amiganoid 2011 event held on 17th of September 2011 in Essen/Germany, the MorphOS team were present and demonstrated the latest development version of MorphOS on PowerBooks (among other HW). During this time they also released the news that version 2.8 is "cancelled", and instead MorphOS will bump up to v3.0! Among the news is also a now official announcement of support for Power Book laptop computers from Apple.

Here is a MorphOS developer's comments on the issue:

(Link)

Also, it won't be released before December.

:)

I would think the Power Book support should in itself be enough to convince a lot of people to jump on board. Us MorphOS users have had it good and things are only about to get better!!!!
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline spirantho

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 06:57:52 AM »
Congrats to the MOS team for their continued progress!
It's really good to see such progress in all three Amiga-like OSes at the moment!
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 07:41:06 AM »
Quote from: XDelusion;660519
I would think the Power Book support should in itself be enough to convince a lot of people to jump on board. Us MorphOS users have had it good and things are only about to get better!!!!

I agree with you.

I bought MorphOS 2.0, and I must say *I have got a lot* for the license fee. *MorphOS 2.0 in itself* was *entirely worth it*, since it was a true paradigm shift from MorphOS 1.4.x, with several *major* upgrades in key areas. But then there has been a steady flow of updates, some containing really fruity stuff, real new features, on top of the expected bugfixes and corrections. Just look at everything marked as "NEW" in these pages (and these lists aren't even entirely complete):

MorphOS 2.1
MorphOS 2.2
MorphOS 2.3
MorphOS 2.4
MorphOS 2.5
MorphOS 2.6
MorphOS 2.7

All this completely for free! :) Best spent EUR €111.11 ever, it has been totally worth it. This free upgrade policy makes it's by far the lowest cost Amiga NG option (and I don't even factor in the HW cost, I mean this entirely based on OS cost). On another "Amiga NG option" you would have paid all over again a few times during an evolution like this, but not here!

The deal has been that *all* upgrades within v2.x of MorphOS would be free of charge for registered users. But now they have announced that *also MorphOS 3.0 will be free of charge* to registered users! And that's major news IMHO! :) :D

:pint:

Offline Yahoo (bot)

• Merely Botish
    • Show only replies by Yahoo (bot)
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:54:47 AM »
Isn't AROS cheaper?

:nervous:

Offline spirantho

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »
@Yahoo (bot)
Come on, play nicely. We don't like it if MOS people come on and spoil AOS/AROS threads, so we should afford them the same respect. This is a thread about MOS, let's keep it that way.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline Colani1200

• Show only replies by Colani1200
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 08:07:56 AM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;660378

As a final note, G5 iMac/PowerMac support will not be released anytime soon. It was just some experiment. No development work is done on it.

That's a pity. :-(

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 08:13:23 AM »
Quote from: Yahoo (bot);660536
Isn't AROS cheaper?

:nervous:

Indeed it is! :) But *far* from as capable, hence I would rather pay EUR €111.11 for MorphOS than EUR €0.0 for AROS... ;) :p

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 08:21:12 AM »
Quote from: Colani1200;660538
That's a pity. :-(

Well, maybe it's just that they have put a lot of work into this Power Book development (a lot of new, never previously existing software had to be written in order to support features only/mostly available on laptops, etc), and then when it's ready (the last PPC?), they will migrate somewhere else, and don't put any more resources on trying to support new machines of this architecture? ;) Highly speculative from my side of course, and probably not true at all, merely a reflection of my hopes and dreams! ;)

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »
Quote from: spirantho;660537
@Yahoo (bot)
Come on, play nicely. We don't like it if MOS people come on and spoil AOS/AROS threads, so we should afford them the same respect. This is a thread about MOS, let's keep it that way.

This is a forum. I don't think there are (or should be) rules regarding comment/comparison between systems.

Certainly the price (not the only reason but one), is more than I am willing to spend for a hobby os - I believe morphos could be far more attractive to developers if this was changed. However, it is certainly good news for Morphos users (apart from the g5 imac/powerbook support). and good that existing users get free upgrades.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:06:07 PM by buzz »

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 12:34:33 PM »
Quote from: buzz;660559
This is a forum. I don't think there are (or should be) rules regarding comment/comparison between systems.

Certainly the price (not the only reason but one), is more than I am willing to spend for a hobby os - I believe morphos could be far more attractive to developers if this was changed. However, it is certainly good news for Morphos users (apart from the g5 imac/powerbook support). and good that existing users get free upgrades.

I take it you feel the same about AOS4 price wise ?

I also agree, anyone is and should be free to post on any thread as long as its on topic, which everyhtijng has been so far
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »
Quote from: buzz;660559

Of course not, there are no crybabies here! :) Fire away! :D

Certainly the price (not the only reason but one), is more than I am willing to spend for a hobby os

Well, I understand that not everyone is prepared to pay money for their hobbies, we are all different and have all different priorities. But few hobbies are completely for free, and among the mature, "usable for real" NG OS's (which excludes AROS), setting up a system with MorphOS is by far the cheapest option, and the value you get just increased even more with the free 3.0 announcement! MorphOS is completely free to try out and use though, if you don't mind rebooting every 30 minutes! :)

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
I think I'm getting it later this year. Just hope PowerMac prices keep getting down:)
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »
Its why I eneded up on MorphOS.  I couldn't try out AmigaOS4 , no demo , no hardware to run it on.

From the continued support, free upgrades, and the fact from what I have read of AOS4, MorphOs is miles ahead of it feature wise, I am glad that they have got the sense to have a demo version.

I can not see an argument for not having a demo version.

As far as I know no one has cracked/hacked MorphOS to beat the 30 min limint on the demo, so I don't see piracy as reasons for the other camp not to go with a demo.

Or are they ashamed for people to try before they buy?
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »
Quote from: JJ;660562
I take it you feel the same about AOS4 price wise ?

Checking if I'm an os4 fanboy? :)

I feel the same, if not perhaps more-so as the hardware is more expensive too.