Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CommodoreUSA Partners with Disney  (Read 42075 times)

Description:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
Re: CommodoreUSA Partners with Disney
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 12:56:25 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;626726
I still don't get the direction of the company, or the reasoning behind the product line, but I hope that someone doesn't lose a small fortune here because there could have been other projects such has bringing the FPGA to market in mass for Xmas that could really generate some cash.

FPGA? Maybe one day, but for now it will remain a hobbyist market when it comes to C= and Amiga related products.
As to loosing a small fortune, if you wanna make it, you got to take risks.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2011, 01:05:17 AM »
They've just updated that site... :D

Offline Claw22000

• Show only replies by Claw22000
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2011, 01:51:11 AM »
Does any one every try to help people with Amiga needs anymore?  Theres people on and not one person looked at the new posting asking for help :(
Claw
A1200/3.1Rom/60GigHD/2MBChip/64MBFast/ACA123028Mhz/WiFiMA401/ClassicWBv26w
CD32/SX1/30GigHD/2MBChip/ClassicWBv26w/3.1OS/SX1 isn\'t allowing fast ram :(

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2011, 01:53:02 AM »
Quote from: Claw22000;626748
Does any one every try to help people with Amiga needs anymore?  Theres people on and not one person looked at the new posting asking for help :(

I did... :D and so do plenty of others... ;)

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2011, 01:55:21 AM »
I probably won't buy this new C64 but I think this is awesome.  Go C= USA!
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 02:02:54 AM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;626662
Whether it's real or not, it's still a PC in a funny case running Linux :/

And the original C64 was a 6502-based PC in a funny case running Microsoft BASIC - your point?

:D :D :D
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 02:06:49 AM »
I'm softening, I don't buy pre-assembled PCs at home, and at work we buy Dell and Apple exclusively, so I probably will never even see one of their products, but bringing in Disney, even on one movie endorsement,  puts a seal of approval on C=USA that they can milk for all it's worth.  Whatever it cost them, it was worth it.  After a year of stupidity, it's good to see moochie regained his senses.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 02:16:28 AM »
Big deal they bought advertising space. Its like the marketing manager at my work. He has convince the boss to spend big and to sponsor several football teams (league) but you know what its just a waste of money no one will look or care. If i ever bought Tron DVD I would throw out any ad in them in the trash (without even looking) be honest how many times if you bought something and they have crossed marketed something else do you just throw it out without even looking at it.
I am with darrin if they had all this money would have been better to make something we can use and not just another PC.

P.S. I am more of an Anime Guy then Disney
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:20:43 AM by Retro_71 »
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 02:25:26 AM »
Quote from: Retro_71;626761
I am with darrin if they had all this money would have been better to make something we can use and not just another PC.

Well, I can use this... from emulation, to everyday work and BluRay movies. :)

There are other companies and people selling stuff for C= and Amiga hobbysts. I don't think they(C=USA) could have done anything significant on the "classic" market. It's pretty saturated as it is.

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 02:31:24 AM »
Quote from: Transition;626621
http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/2-welcome-mat/2214-commodore-usa-a-disney

Commodore USA, LLC & Disney are co:branding the simultaneous release of the all new C64 and the TRON Legacy DVD on April 5, 2011. Our revised and updated website will feature new products, along with the official opening of our webstore, which will go live at 12:01 AM EST, APRIL 5, 2011

http://www.commodoreusa.net
http://www.disney.go.com/tron

Hi,

Wow a Mickey Mouse for a Mickey Mouse systems, what more support can you ask for.

When you wish upon a star, your windows machine will crash with a lot of stars.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 02:37:22 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;626754
And the original C64 was a 6502-based PC in a funny case running Microsoft BASIC - your point?
Perhaps I should have clarified as "IBM PC clone?" Nah, you'd probably have said the same. My point is that the Commodore 64 was and is its own thing; a 6502 plus a particular combination of custom hardware, custom and standard software, and defined expansion interfaces that comprise the Commodore 64 (and, as a superset, the 128,) and not any other computer. This is a completely different and fundamentally incompatible computer running a completely different operating system, that gets reasonably good software compatibility only with the inclusion of an emulator that (unless I'm greatly surprised and it's not VICE) is absolutely no different from the emulator that can be freely installed on any other PC under any major operating system

Even this is limited at best. You can't hook any of your expansion hardware into it (and before you smarm about emulating it, there's a broad range of CBM expansions that are not yet supported in emulators.) You can't run C64 disks on it, or even use it to make disk images for use with the emulator without at least as much difficult as you'd have on any other PC. (I'm sure someone will be all too happy to sell you new disk-image copies of your existing software, though.) And there's even C64 software that doesn't require hardware expansions that won't run on emulators at present. Putting aside the discussion of whether the C64x's marketing is misleading, it's fundamentally dishonest to even call it that. It's not a C64, whatever it looks like, and it's no more compatible with one than any other x86-based PC. No amount of licensure or cross-promotion deals will change that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 02:40:35 AM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Retro_71

• Show only replies by Retro_71
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 02:53:47 AM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;626763
Well, I can use this... from emulation, to everyday work and BluRay movies. :)

There are other companies and people selling stuff for C= and Amiga hobbysts. I don't think they(C=USA) could have done anything significant on the "classic" market. It's pretty saturated as it is.

I have my normal PC for emulation (i like your cases (the C64 one) though).
how many people would buy new Video cards/Accelerators/Sound Cards etc etc and not to mention new FPGA Hardware, yes there is FPGA Arcade and Natami which i will buy but i would buy other FPGA hardware as well. It is not that saturated.
But i wish you luck anyway (i would prob buy the second C64 case the one styled from the C64C just the case mind you. :D)
A Chameleon and 1541 II ultimate II
2 x C=64, 2 x C64C, C128 (jiffydos), C128D, 3 x A500 (1 x 030),
A1000, 2 x A2000 (GVP 040 + SCSI combo + indivision), A3000 GVP IV24 & Emplant
3 x A1200 (1 x 030, Indivision and IDE-Fix with 40 GB HDD & DVD Burner)
2 x A4000 (4060, Deneb, Indivsion), CD32.
2 x Apple IIe and A IIGS (Various new cards), + 3 x Megadrives (CD and 32), 2 x Saturns, and a dreamcast.. :D

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 04:56:29 AM »
Quote from: Darrin;626716
One more question, and a serious one:

Who the hell are "Spin Master", "MDG" (I had to look them up to make my previous comment and I first thought they were the UN's Millennium Development Goals) and "ESET"?

My thoughts exactly. On the flipside though, the ad makes them look like a serious legitimate company.
Plus, considering when the first movies was released, there may be nostalgic movie buyers who pick up Tron Legacy and go "Commodore? I thought they went away long ago".
This could draw some attention to Barry's enterprise.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 05:32:54 AM »
Good for them. Lets hope they actually start shipping all these promised products.

steven

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2011, 05:41:07 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;626812
Good for them. Lets hope they actually start shipping all these promised products.

steven

That's the least negative CUSA related post you've made yet, haywire.
And once they start doing that?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #44 from previous page: April 02, 2011, 05:44:17 AM »
MDG are a dodgy fly by night "pay as you go" Canadian company that offers "ONE DOLLAR A DAY for only 9000 days PC'S!"  Scum of the earth and even the Canuck television networks won't sell them ad time anymore up here.  ESET is a fantastic company, however.  I'd recommend NOD 32/Smart Security to anyone looking for a lightweight security package for Windows.  Coke, Crest and the big name brands would endorse abortion clinics if it sold products.  I won't comment on the C-USA crap much anymore, last time I did I got veiled threats and too much pedantic bullshit, so save it.  At least a few of those suckers that buy that hideous Tron 2 movie on DVD will look twice at the little pieces of paper that fall out of the DVD case.  I'll man up and at least give C-USA credit that they did start their ad campaign, even though I don't think even .1% of the guys that read said flyers in DVD cases will have a clue or an interest in a C64 clone. But good on C-USA for taking the plunge.  Just cause it's not right for me doesn't mean it doesn't interest someone else.  Best of luck.  The movie was abhorrent (TRON Legacy), maybe the box set will do well. Best of luck with the rest of the ad campaign, I hope the product hits the hands of the people that are after it, I'm just never gonna get the concept, lol.