Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CommodoreUSA Partners with Disney  (Read 42338 times)

Description:

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
Re: CommodoreUSA Partners with Disney
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2011, 05:44:17 AM »
MDG are a dodgy fly by night "pay as you go" Canadian company that offers "ONE DOLLAR A DAY for only 9000 days PC'S!"  Scum of the earth and even the Canuck television networks won't sell them ad time anymore up here.  ESET is a fantastic company, however.  I'd recommend NOD 32/Smart Security to anyone looking for a lightweight security package for Windows.  Coke, Crest and the big name brands would endorse abortion clinics if it sold products.  I won't comment on the C-USA crap much anymore, last time I did I got veiled threats and too much pedantic bullshit, so save it.  At least a few of those suckers that buy that hideous Tron 2 movie on DVD will look twice at the little pieces of paper that fall out of the DVD case.  I'll man up and at least give C-USA credit that they did start their ad campaign, even though I don't think even .1% of the guys that read said flyers in DVD cases will have a clue or an interest in a C64 clone. But good on C-USA for taking the plunge.  Just cause it's not right for me doesn't mean it doesn't interest someone else.  Best of luck.  The movie was abhorrent (TRON Legacy), maybe the box set will do well. Best of luck with the rest of the ad campaign, I hope the product hits the hands of the people that are after it, I'm just never gonna get the concept, lol.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2011, 05:49:42 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;626700
Ya know... I really am not one to be negative, I usually just let this stuff go, but I really am finding it hard to care about an announcement that doesn't affect me or my interests in any way. Good for C=USA and Disney, but for me it means nothing. Meh...

I am not interested in any of C=USA's proposed products, unless they happen to produce a nice looking Amiga branded case that I would consider putting an FPGAArcade Replay board into, which I highly doubt.  But, I have nothing against C=USA either and do not care if they succeed or fail, but the only hope I have from their endeavors is that it generates more interest in the Amiga community and brings more people (and hopefully developers) to using and buying the other Amiga related products that I DO have an interest in, like MorphOS, or AROS and Classic AmigaOS3.x.

So, C=USA, spend all the money you want in promoting the name Amiga.  I have no ill will toward your company and hope that only good things will come from your efforts.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline cicero790

• Show only replies by cicero790
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »
+1

That is what all ppl that likes Amiga one way or another should consider.
But I’m less indifferent, I hope they succeed.

PS OT  I need an indivision AGA for my 1200.  Then is the next batch coming? DS. OT
A1200 030 40MHz: 2/32MB Indivision AGA MkII
A600 7 MHz: 2MB
AROS 600 MHz
PC 13600 MHz: quad core i7 2600K 3.4GHz: 16GB RAM: ATI HD6950 2GB   (Yes I know)

WINUAE AmiKit ClassicWB AmigaSYS UAE4Droid  

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;626754
And the original C64 was a 6502-based PC in a funny case running Microsoft BASIC - your point?

:D :D :D

BASIC is not the OS (try booting a C64 with just the BASIC ROM) just a usefull application,

C64 BASIC is not supplied by Microsoft ( C= hacked the PET one as they forced them to sell it as is with unconditional rights on any future machines)

it ran on a 6510 CPU made by MOS

:)

Offline Digiman

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
Quote from: persia;626681
Although Barry seems to make it sound like it's Disney's idea the fact remains that even if Barry offered to kiss every part of Mickey Mouse's body to get this link it's still a good one.  Nobody will remember that it was a tie in with the movie, it will play in people's heads, Disney endorses Commodore.  It is a well played tactical move.  

Linking Commodore with Disney in anyway makes Commodore look legit.  Face it, Moochie has come a long way from slap C= logo on the site and see who hollers.  There's a reason they signed with a professional marketing company.  Now we begin to see it.

My guess is the next shoe to drop will be a deal with Walmart in the USA.  Remember it's not so much how good your product is as how well you sell it.

And why would a child fan (Disney's market demographic) today want a C64 lookalike PC? They want Wii/360/PS3. Of course the dads buy the DVDs etc but they do it to shut the brats up so they may see the flyer in the case if they look through all the bumf :roflmao:

Walmart however = people on a tight budget = good % of customers in serious debt..........
Serious debt = hankering for youth/childhood without debt worries = nostalgia = sales of something familiar looking with their old C64 in 80s :)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2011, 01:57:37 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;626847
And why would a child fan (Disney's market demographic) today want a C64 lookalike PC? They want Wii/360/PS3. Of course the dads buy the DVDs etc but they do it to shut the brats up so they may see the flyer in the case if they look through all the bumf :roflmao:

Walmart however = people on a tight budget = good % of customers in serious debt..........
Serious debt = hankering for youth/childhood without debt worries = nostalgia = sales of something familiar looking with their old C64 in 80s :)

It's not WalMart.
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »
This post SHOULD NOT be in "Amiga News and Community Announcements"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline dammy

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »
Quote from: persia;626865

That was Transition's doing.  The original thread I started was in Alt OS section.
Dammy

Offline Digiman

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2011, 03:20:26 PM »
Quote from: dammy;626864
It's not WalMart.

Was commenting to other member IF Walmart....etc

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »
Quote from: persia;626865
But...but...they're the Amiga community's brand-new sugar-daddy! Why shouldn't we treat them as the Deliverers of the Truth and Light from On High?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Digiman

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
Because C64 is not Amiga and therefore other OS section seems right to me.

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
Quote from: amigadave;626818
I am not interested in any of C=USA's proposed products, unless they happen to produce a nice looking Amiga branded case that I would consider putting an FPGAArcade Replay board into, which I highly doubt.  But, I have nothing against C=USA either and do not care if they succeed or fail, but the only hope I have from their endeavors is that it generates more interest in the Amiga community and brings more people (and hopefully developers) to using and buying the other Amiga related products that I DO have an interest in, like MorphOS, or AROS and Classic AmigaOS3.x.

I agree with you, Dave, but they want to do more than create an Amiga branded case. They want to create Windows/Linux based computers and call them Amiga. This is only going to hurt them. The Amiga brand comes with two primary expectations: cutting-edge graphics and a smartly-designed OS.

The age of cutting-edge graphics is over, so they'll never meet that expectation. The smartly designed OS? That's not Windows and it's not Linux, so they'll never meet that.

Sadly, the majority of people who care about the Amiga brand are the ones who remember those things, so all C=USA are going to do is generate disappointment. Not a good strategy for any startup. Not at all.

So, if I'm arguing that this choice will hurt them, do I bear them any ill will? Hardly. :) I think it's in their best interest to leave the name alone until they can create something that does bare the Amiga legacy.
Ed.

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:25:44 AM by spihunter »

Offline dammy

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »
Quote from: spihunter;626892
This post should not be on Amiga.org. I wish there was a way to Ignore news items from certain party's.....

Don't read anything that is obvious something you don't want to know about?
Dammy

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2011, 04:04:43 PM »
Quote from: Digiman;626885
Because C64 is not Amiga and therefore other OS section seems right to me.
But they've put so much money into this! Shouldn't that be enough to buy our loyalty? What do you want, a product actually related to the C64 or Amiga or something?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #59 from previous page: April 02, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:26:02 AM by spihunter »