Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production  (Read 27824 times)

Description:

Offline WolfToTheMoon

• Show only replies by WolfToTheMoon
Re: X1000 Nemo Rev. 2 Motherboard in Production
« Reply #134 from previous page: March 24, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624341

However, right now the P5010 and P5020 are some of the most powerful PPCs available.
And the future T5020 and T5040 will feature AltiVec instructions, 2.5 Ghz operation (or higher), more cores, and possibly some additional changes.
And then there's APM's Mamba and the other two unnamed processors listed on their roadmap after Titan.

The key issue, IMHO, is not performance, but price/performance ratio and price in absolute terms.
The future T5020 or T5040 may indeed prove to be very fast but if they're too expensive then it's quite pointless. A X1000 succesor should be (considerably)cheaper to make sense, IMHO, and ensure bigger production run.

I wonder if A-eon could achieve better economies of scale to sell both MOS and AOS4 systems. I guess as long as ben hermans is involved that is out of the question probably.

Offline the_leander

• Show only replies by the_leander
    • http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2011, 08:15:59 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;624374

I wonder if A-eon could achieve better economies of scale to sell both MOS and AOS4 systems. I guess as long as ben hermans is involved that is out of the question probably.

Bang on on both counts, unfortunately.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2011, 09:52:35 PM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;624374
The key issue, IMHO, is not performance, but price/performance ratio and price in absolute terms.
The future T5020 or T5040 may indeed prove to be very fast but if they're too expensive then it's quite pointless. A X1000 succesor should be (considerably)cheaper to make sense, IMHO, and ensure bigger production run.

I get the impression that Trevor Dickinson would like to do just that. But there are some hard feelings between Ben Hermans and the MorphOS development team. Also, Hermans with his ties to Hyperion has a vested interest in making sure that hardware designed to run AOS4 comes bundled with that OS.
Thats why, even if you want to run Linux on your SAM, you're forced to purchase a copy of AOS anyway (you can't buy an Acube motherboard without AOS bundled with the system).
This is another reason you don't see ports of MorphOS to Acube or A-eon motherboards. Sales of those boards for use under MorphOS would increase AOS4 sales.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Dandy

• Show only replies by Dandy
    • http://www.wiehltalbahn.de/en/
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2011, 07:08:59 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;624090

If (and I mean IF) that actually is a good use for an XMOS chip it also is a perfect example of why the intregration on the mobo makes no sense.

You would have to place your 2000Euro X1000 really close to your H0-set running several non-hotplug wires in between both.

I'm still undecided whether I will use a cable connection or some sort of WLan tec for this.

Use an existing XMOS-kit connect it via USB or Ethernet (both provide more than enough throughput for 1 lowres videolink and a bunch of signals)

Its more likely that I will use an HD pen cam.

and you will not only reduce the risk of killing your expensive kit,

Why do you think that steering a model railway might kill the A1 X1k?

but you might even get away with useing a less expensive one (honestly that were HW like the Efika or the Beagleboard would be optimal).

I also have some other things in mind where I would need the power of the A1 X1k for.
So all in all - for me the idea to have the XMOS chip onboard seems to be good.
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2011, 07:11:08 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;624231

Dual Core systems and 64 bit new in the Amiga field ? My 3 years old 3.86ghz core2duo AROS box would beg to differ, as would the 64bit version of AROS.

Can I run AmigaOS (TM) on it?
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

If someone enjoys marching to military music, then I already despise him. He got his brain accidently - the bone marrow in his back would have been sufficient for him! (Albert Einstein)

Offline Dandy

« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2011, 07:13:23 AM »
Quote from: WolfToTheMoon;624280

Unless they're significantly cheaper then PA6T all they're good for is looking at them :lol:

At least for those who cannot afford them...
;-)
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Iggy

« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2011, 11:20:54 AM »
Quote from: Dandy;624495

:roflmao:

That IS kind of the point, isn't it? You can't run AROS or MorphOS on an X1000, but that's not the point.
We no longer see too many blue vs red arguments (they're similar but different OS'), but why do we constantly have to hear "AROS is faster". "AROS runs on cheaper, common X86 hardware".

AROS won't run AOS4 apps (even MOS can run some AOS4 apps with a wrapper).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 12:05:50 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2011, 06:26:49 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624517
You can't run AROS [snip] on an X1000

... yet.

AROS won't run AOS4 apps

... yet.

Point is everything is possible with AROS if a developer wants to scratch an itch.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Iggy

« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
Quote from: Fats;624611
... yet.

... yet.

Point is everything is possible with AROS if a developer wants to scratch an itch.

greets,
Staf.

True of about every development environment Staf. I haven't heard from you recently. How are your projects going?

BTW - That statement "Trust me...                                              I know what I'm doing", I find it disturbing. For some weird reason I can picture people in Fukushima using it. Sounds like something that would trigger my instinct to flee.:roflmao:

Offline Dandy

« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2011, 11:31:58 AM »
:roflmao:

That IS kind of the point, isn't it? You can't run AROS or MorphOS on an X1000, but that's not the point.
We no longer see too many blue vs red arguments (they're similar but different OS'), but why do we constantly have to hear "AROS is faster". "AROS runs on cheaper, common X86 hardware".

AROS won't run AOS4 apps (even MOS can run some AOS4 apps with a wrapper).

For me the decisive argument is not the price of the HW alone. I have a large collection of (old, but still usable) productive 68k Amiga applications - e.g. for CAE/CAD/CAM/CNC and electronics. Those apps aren't available any longer for any Amiga like system and to buy everything again for annother platform would exceed my financial possibilities.

From what I heard of AROS so far, it is not possible to run this software in AROS on cheap x86 HW without re-compiling it, which requires access to the source code.

So I would have to buy AROS equivalents of this software, which simply doesn't exist.
So AROS is out of the question for me.

If I realise my project, I want to avoid having to buy all the necessary apps again for a different platform, as I already have most of the required stuff on the Amiga platform.

Should MOS run on the A1 X1k one day and should it run even better than AOS on that HW I see no reason why I would not use MOS, provided it runs my apps flawlessly.

But until then AmigaOS seems to be the only solution for me...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:34:47 AM by Dandy »
All the best,

Dandy

Website maintained by me

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;624616

BTW - That statement "Trust me...                                              I know what I'm doing", I find it disturbing. For some weird reason I can picture people in Fukushima using it. Sounds like something that would trigger my instinct to flee.:roflmao:

Yeah, I took it of a movie (I think) and the guy who was saying that messed everything up all the time ...
Seems to not be that good of a movie because the quote is mostly what I remember from the movie.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline nicholas

« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2011, 01:29:19 PM »
Quote from: Dandy;624495

Amiga OS, yes. Hyperion OS, not yet.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Fransexy_

• Show only replies by Fransexy_
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2011, 01:57:06 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;624809
Amiga OS, yes. Hyperion OS, not yet.

How Aros is more AmigaOS than "Hyperion OS" for you is beyond me and any sane person
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT

Offline nicholas

« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
Quote from: Fransexy_;624810
How Aros is more AmigaOS than "Hyperion OS" for you is beyond me and any sane person

What are you blathering on about you insane person?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini