Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kickstart ROM Replacement (Phase II) Assigned  (Read 28438 times)

Description:

Offline wawrzon

Re: Kickstart ROM Replacement (Phase II) Assigned
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »
contributed again to both phases.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 02:04:16 PM »
Serious question here...

Being new to the internet I'd never hear of these 'bountys' before and have been wondering why are they needed. As to me if I were write or develop a program for the Amiga I would never think of asking anyone for money just for me to do so.

So I'm left wondering why are donations needed and what is the money used for, if someone could explain to me why, then I may consider donating myself to such projects... :)

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 02:26:30 PM »
Quote from: Franko;590719

So I'm left wondering why are donations needed and what is the money used for, if someone could explain to me why, then I may consider donating myself to such projects... :)

They're not so much "needed" as they are extra encouragement to get people to tackle pieces of work they'd otherwise not have sufficient motivation to do.

People pick up and do the fun tasks or the things they need fixed themselves all the time without caring about the bounties. But a lot of what needs doing in large projects like AROS is boring drudge work that may not directly benefit the developers that are best suited to do it all that much, or they're just too big.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
I'll echo what vidarh said and add hat they are also a good way to show your appreciation for the work undertaken to add specific functionality to the project. There are lots of (indeed most of) parts of AROS that have been developed simply as a labour of love by a particular developer, without the motivation of a bounty.

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 03:47:21 PM »
The money is used to purchase the crystal meth and cocaine that it takes to code for 48 hour marathons. Some bounty takers also buy pizza and beer.

Others buy asian hookers. I say, whatever it takes to keep them coding and motivated, I'm happy to contribute.

Steven

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 03:47:27 PM »
@franko:
im not a big fan of bounties neither, but such bounties that are assigned from the start to trusty active developers are worth donating if only to recognize their efforts. the bounties are not supposed to cover the costs, not even such well donated ones as firefox i think. besides this is maybe a sad example as there obviously wasnt deliverd anything worth mention not even enough feedback on development status for about a year. not to speak of the time before. kickstart bounty has been stalled too for a long time in the past. but there are other examples. chris hodges completed his own bounty to port his usb stack to aros in shortest time. i think with tony willen, the autor of winuae, we might expect the best.

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »
Yes the deadlines come and go for many of the assigned projects, but I suppose we can't complain, people get busy.

UAE integration has been slowly and surely getting finished, but it was supposed to be done last june.

Many bounties get assigned and never finished, which sucks because that means we wait a year to find out nothing is finished. Some things get stuck in place that way...

Still, the bounty system is great because you can contribute to what you want, therefore the user bases needs get addressed this way.

Steven

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;590752
The money is used to purchase the crystal meth and cocaine that it takes to code for 48 hour marathons. Some bounty takers also buy pizza and beer.

Others buy asian hookers. I say, whatever it takes to keep them coding and motivated, I'm happy to contribute.

Steven

I hope you don't mind ... but I think I might steal that for my sig =D
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline haywirepc

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 06:25:24 PM »
sure, like I said, whatever it takes to keep them coding.

Don't laugh, I worked somewhere like that once. Fun gig.

Steven

Offline Terminills

• Grand Conspirator
    • Show only replies by Terminills
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 06:31:01 PM »
I have no problems donating to bounties.  I've done it in the past and I will continue to do so.

Some projects I don't think the bounty comes anywhere near the value of the time that gets spent on them.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:23:18 PM by Terminills »
Support AROS sponsor a developer.

edited by mod: this has been addressed

Offline vidarh

• Show only replies by vidarh
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 09:40:12 AM »
Quote from: haywirepc;590780
sure, like I said, whatever it takes to keep them coding.

Don't laugh, I worked somewhere like that once. Fun gig.

Remember the scene in Swordfish where Hugh Jackman is hacking with a gun to his head while getting "serviced" by Halle Berry? My jobs usually feel like that, but without the Halle Berry part.

Offline deadwoodTopic starter

• Show only replies by deadwood
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 07:33:51 AM »

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 09:27:22 AM »
Bootshell now works and we have a graphical display (thanks to Toni), good stuff! Reminds me of the state AROS x86 native was in 10 years ago :)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 10:12:33 AM »
i dont like that about changing the abi. any details why it was neccessary? is that the problem wit the particular gcc version they are using? 4.5.1? how about downgrade?

edit: i observed several incompatibilities introduced after 3.4.0, even after 4 if im able to tell, the register syntax being one of them. are they using sdi?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:16:19 AM by wawrzon »

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;591134
i dont like that about changing the abi. any details why it was neccessary? is that the problem wit the particular gcc version they are using? 4.5.1? how about downgrade?

Just a short term problem, trying to force gcc to use to the Address registers the way the Amiga expects :)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 12, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »
i hope you are right. actually we (or better alain and bernd) were able to force gcc to that following bernds method. it worked with 2.9.x and 3.4.x but was kinda hack. it was enough to recompile running storm mesa but there were some flaws. probably not due to that. being noob i dont know if this is the same problem though.