Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology CVBA and Varisys Ltd Announce Partnership  (Read 18074 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: A-EON Technology CVBA and Varisys Ltd Announce Partnership
« Reply #104 from previous page: June 22, 2010, 09:19:24 PM »
Yep! That kind of my point. It could be done, but you'd need the resources of a major backer. If only Bill McEwen claim to millions in resources had been true.

BTW - Does anyone know if anyone other than IBM manufacturers Xenon processors. Sony is still relying on IBM for its Cell processors (in fact they've just reduced the die size).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 11:38:23 PM by Iggy »
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2010, 09:24:16 PM »
Quote from: Piru;566530
Unfortunately they would need to call Microsoft, not IBM. I very much doubt M$ would be that happy to sell the CPU to outsiders.

If you'd be talking to IBM to create something similar to Xenon... well then you'd need to have some serious financial backing I believe.

What they could do instead is source that CPU from RRoD Xbox 360's headed to land fills. There should be an ample supply of those for at least a 1000 years.

:)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2010, 11:29:59 PM »
Quote from: Pyromania;566539
What they could do instead is source that CPU from RRoD Xbox 360's headed to land fills. There should be an ample supply of those for at least a 1000 years.

:)

Without the technical info to use those processors, they're useless. Plus you'd have to remove them, have them re-balled, and then remount them on a custom designed board that could support them.
No easy task.
If this was a practical idea, someone would have figured out a way to mod existing XBOX 360 boards to boot 3rd party OS (I know about the 'King Kong' based bootloader, I mean something that doesn't rely on a older revision of XBOX software).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »
@Iggy

You do realize I was kidding right?

Offline bernd_afa

• Show only replies by bernd_afa
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
>IBM Xenon 3.2Ghz CPU which is compatible with PowerPC.

You mean the X-Box CPU.This is simular to Cell.the PPC is high clocked, but give less performance /MHZ because its a in order design.benchmarks say the 3,2 GHZ give simular performance as a 1,6 GHZ Athlon.

So should faster as PA6t on single thread, have three full cores, so i think you are right, this CPU is the most powerfull PPC.

I see in wikipedia there is a 45 nm version(so its also modernest chip develop for low power), but there are no TDP Values see and more bad it cant buy in low quantities.

>Also when comparing 68060 to x86 remember Motorola was the first to make a clock >doubled CPU for desktop computers. A 50mhz 060 runs internally at 100mhz.

the 68060 was also a great design.A Intel CPU need on 486 or these days Pentium 1 need 10-20 clockcycles for multiplication the 68060 have a hardware mutliplicator that can multiply 32*32 -> 32 bit result in 2 clock cycles.