Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: commodore amiga 2000  (Read 5779 times)

Description:

commodore amiga 2000
« on: October 26, 2002, 05:25:57 AM »
gregstu@juno.com
A neighbor's tenant moved out and left behind an unwanted Commodore A2000 Amiga 2000 (this is what the manual shows on the cover).  It was shown to me once, weeks ago, but now the neighbor's brother is attempting to get it running.  He's won't ask my help due to pride in his efforts (i know, but that's the way he is, but in time may ask for help).  The neigbor tells me the brother is getting a screen stating the original owner's name and a prompt for a password.  Is there a jumper on the motherboard to cancel this prompt? He may discard the machine. When i gave it a quick looking over weeks ago, it appears  to have 2 floppy drives (same size), one to boot and the other for applications. It also has an internal tape drive. Best of all is that there are boxes and boxes and boxes of floppy disks that seem to be games. I'm not that familiar with this unit but it looks pretty interesting.
Other people are telling her to get rid of it, while the original owner said it is worth thousands. I agree with neither.
Would appreciate any help.

Greg

Offline clark

• Show only replies by clark
Re: commodore amiga 2000
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2002, 06:33:07 AM »
Whatever you do don't discard it.  I hate to see good hardware get thrown away.

A description of the prompt would be helpful.  Is it just a screen of text (no window borders or anything like that.) or is it in a window.  Is there any mention of Unix or BSD?

Also, look for a disk labeled Workbench.  The guy might have several versions: 3.1 is the latest, although the system will probibly have 2.04 or 1.3.  If you put that disk in the left most drive, it'll boot off it, and will come up to a working screen.  However, it'll be working solely off the floppy, so there is still the problem of the password if you boot without.

Sorry,  I can't be anymore helpful.

Good luck.

Clark

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2002, 06:34:04 AM »
;-) No model of Amiga supports a power-on password or such.  I've seen stuff on Aminet that will permit password protection, but it isn't very useful because it's so easily defeated; simply boot from floppy and remove any reference to the password tool from the startup sequence.

:-) It's not worth thousands, but it's not junk either.  with more expansion slots than other Amiga models, it has more potential for expansion.  With a X-Surf card, you could network it to other computers, and so on.  What you should add to it depends entirely on what you wish to do with it.

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2002, 07:18:55 AM »

Quixote wrote:
;-) No model of Amiga supports a power-on password or such.  

DKB made a Zorro card that did power on password protection. At least I assume they did. Although I've seen it advertised, I never saw one myself.  Not that that would be any more difficult to defeat. Just use a screwdriver instead of a floppy.

Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline DonnyEMU

• Show only replies by DonnyEMU
    • http://blog.donburnett.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2002, 07:32:15 AM »
I used to work for an amiga dealer. I remember a long time ago this third party company (can't remember their name) was doing personalization of ROMs and were including their altered rom with such a name and password system..

The only way to defeat that if it's indeed what he has is to get new Amiga Roms for the machine, that should defeat it.. In the least they could re-install workbench on it..

======================================
Don Burnett Developer
http://blog.donburnett.com
don@donburnett.com
======================================

Offline Quixote

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2002, 07:37:34 AM »
JimS wrote:

DKB made a Zorro card that did power on password protection. At least I assume they did. Although I've seen it advertised, I never saw one myself.  Not that that would be any more difficult to defeat. Just use a screwdriver instead of a floppy.
:-o Really?  That would be so cool!  Of course, I hope the card did more than just that; it'd be quite a waste of a whole Zorro slot just for password protection.  Maybe it would be more practical to add that as a feature on an accelerator of something...

;-) Actually, now that I think of it, the A4000 did have a key switch which disabled the keyboard and (IIRC,) the mouse.  It's not the same as a password, but similar enough for most purposes.

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2002, 10:41:49 AM »
He may discard the machine
Other people are telling her to get rid of it,

Tell her/him I want it! *grin* :-D
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2002, 12:36:26 PM »
I used to have an A2000 (R.I.P) and an A1500 (sold)... great machines.  I guess the easy test to see whether the password is on a ROM/Zorro card or is a hack in the startup sequence is to boot ANYTHING from the floppy - if the floppy boots with no password required then you can find some old workbench disks and reformat the hard drive and re-install workbench.  If you still get the password then remove the offending Zorro card or replace the ROMs with a couple of new 3.1 ROMS and buy WB3.1 while you are at it.  Infact, if it has a SCSI card for the Hard Drive then get a cheap CD ROM (replace that next-to-useless tape drive) and get OS3.9 too.

Of course, don't tell your friend this.  Wait for him to give up and throw it in the garbage and then salvage the machine for yourself.
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline Effy

• Show only replies by Effy
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2002, 12:42:08 PM »
No idea ?? I used to have a towered A1200 with 1230/50/50 and gfx card and X-surf. Now I got a A2000 too with only 2630 turboboard and Evolution-scsi device with hd. A1200 is dead now so I moved that CV64/3D gfx card and ethernet card into the A2000 together with a Buddha Flash IDE controller with 2 ports, and hooked up my A1200 20 Gb harddisc which works very fine without any problem. Now I only need to get much more memory. But if you only wanna play games then more memory is not needed.
About password protection. If it really are other roms that do the protection then there's no easy way out. If it's software at the beginning of the startup-sequence, then try to turn on the computer and hold 2 mouse buttons. You're supposed to get in a 'early startup menu' and then use mouse to click on 'boot without startup-sequence'. You're then supposed to land in some kind of primitive Dos. If that happens then the protection is not in the roms but only on harddisc and no screwdriver will be needed, only some altering of the Startup-sequence, and any amiga user can do that !!  :-)

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2002, 08:54:28 PM »
I'm not savy with getting this thread in the right place, but here goes anyway.  I want to thank everyone here for the great responses.  Likewise I hate to throw out good hardware or any for that matter. If its garbage bound i will try to take it off their hands.  Due to these great responses from everyone,  my neighbor will have to give me access to the Amiga and I will check what is suggested here. By the way, I happened to find on the net a rare card called "Nordsoft System Protect".  It fits into the 6800 socket.  If you go here-  http://www.amiga-hardware.com/nordprotect.html  you will see a picture of this card.
Thanks until later
Greg

Offline KidIce

• Show only replies by KidIce
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2002, 01:30:54 AM »
Curious, I had never heard of that device before. If it is indeed in the 2000 it will be under the left edge of the frame for the 5.25" drive bay, toward the front of the machine inbetween the 68000 and the motherboard.

What I would try...

1) Boot off any of the floppies. If it loads this password is not in hardware. Try sticking a bootable floppy (like disk 1 of a game or the Workbench disk) in the right drive first and turning the machine on, if you get the prompt power down and try again w/ the other drive as they may be wired backwards (most 2000's I have seen w/ two drives DF0: is on the right and DF1: is on the left, but they can be wired the other way).

2) Open the computer and check out the 68000k (in above described place black DIP chip ~1"x3") and make sure it's plugged directly into the socket on the the motherboard and that that device isn't between the two. If there is some other board sandwiched between the MoBo and 68k chip leave it alone as it's probably an accelerator like the CSA Derringer. If that device is there simply remove it, remove the 68k from it and resocket the 68k in the MoBo (take note of orientation).

3) The first slot to the left of the 68k chip is the accelerator slot, the other five (toward the front of the machine) are the Zorro slots. Try removing all the cards and powering up the machine if the password is gone, then it is one of the cards.

Depending on what result you get from these tests I can offer advice on getting rid of said prompt if I know what is causing it.
Tried it once, and you know, I don\\\'t like being on fire.

Offline Castellen

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2002, 07:47:09 AM »
Never seen one before either, but if the A2000 does have one of those
Nordsoft System Protect boards in it, it should just be a matter of
removing the board, and moving the 68000 from the Nordsoft board into
it's motherboard socket.

Anthony.

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2002, 08:13:31 AM »
The saga continues... (Password lockout)
This system has a hard drive and two 3.5 floppy drives. When turned on, a window appears. In the title bar at the top of the window it reads, "Amiga Dos."  In the window itself, text appears in this order -
"Copywrite 1985-1991 Commodore Amiga, Inc.
Amiga release 2.1,  Kickstart 37.175,  Workbench 38.21, ARexx Version 1.15 Copywrite by William S. Hawes.   Then- (something similar to...) This computer is under the control of John Doe (the actual name of the original owner, not John Doe). Then the word "Password" followed by a blinking cursor.   I can boot from a Workbench disk (using the right floppy drive) and the password info does NOT appear. I then have access to the machine. I think i saw the word Zorro somewhere on the screen, possibly a folder name.
Under the hood.  Motherboard-Copywrite 1988 Rev 6.2.  There is one card, the full length of the machine front to back. The card appears, if viewed from the back, with a D shell connector. (There is another small card that may be the Nordsoft card. I'll explain later.)  This long card has a Quantum hard drive sadled to the side of it.  Looks like an IDE. The ribbon data cable has two female connectors.  The middle one is attached to this card while the last one is attached to the drive itself.  See photo here -http://photos.yahoo.com/topperyh
Image is from another site with markings on it using Photoshop.  Open another browser window along with this one and note the following-The IDE card is located at the red rectangle. The black rectangle is a card that is not in my system.  The white circle is present with a black lead similar to a volt meter lead hooked to a leg on the chip shown. This lead goes to the underside of small card (the Nordsoft card?) the area marked in yellow.  The yellow arrow points to an empty chip slot; it is here that the small card (which has an empty chip slot similar to a bios chip slot) is attached with long legs (aprox. 1/4 inch ) on its underside.
Try this Yahoo photo storage location for photo. Sorry for all the Yahoo ads here, but click on the "Amiga" name to see photo.
http://photos.yahoo.com/topperyh

Greg

Offline Quixote

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2002, 08:40:15 AM »
;-) If you can boot from floppy without reaching the password prompt, then it’s (probably) just a software thing added to the startup sequence.  You could remove it from the startup sequence by booting from floppy, then using an editor to edit the file DH0:s/startup-sequence (assuming the hard drive’s device name is the usual DH0:  Failing that, just use the hard drive’s volume name, which would be given under the hard drive’s icon.)

:-) The card sounds like a hard drive controller.  If it uses a forty pin connector, it’s an IDE, if it uses a fifty pin connector, it’s SCSI.  Empty chip sockets are not uncommon on add-in cards; they’re to allow for future expansions that may never have been produced.

;-) In your position, I think I’d just boot from floppy, reformat the hard drive, and then install Workbench from scratch.  

:-( Of course, I might regret it right away….

Offline Castellen

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2002, 08:47:38 AM »
Yep. I'd also agree the big card sounds like a hard drive controller.

Not sure where to find the images you are are saying about, but the
smaller board with the wires going to it may be a ROM switcher, they
were pretty common.

Sounds like the computer is running through it's startup-sequence then
executes some password program.

Either edit the S:Startup-Sequence to make it not run the password
prog, or send me a copy of the Startup-Sequence and I'll do it for
you.

Anthony.