Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who would like to see more games on the amiga  (Read 3768 times)

Description:

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
Re: Who would like to see more games on the amiga
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:31 AM »
Quote from: jorkany;510060
"This forum is dedicated to games software and solutions for the Commodore Amiga computer."

You know, the REAL Amiga?

Read the site TOS etc

This site is for all amigas and relevant and derivatives of.  If you don't like it please keep it to your self.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 04:10:01 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;510106
I think I would rather just see more Amiga-style games.

The nice high res 2D stuff.

You cant get the atmosphere of Shadow of the Beast in 3D.

I agree. When I first caught the subject heading of this thread, I thought it would be nice if there were more ports of classic gaming to Amiga. Getting back into the 8-bit stuff (which I believe are some of the best games ever), I'd love to see Amiga ports of:

Montezuma's Revenge
Pinball Construction Set (EA was supposed to release this)
Conan
Miner 2049'er
Star League Baseball

...and any other 2D game that relied more on its gameplay than useless fancy visuals. I swear too that often times, the gameplay on 8-bit (Atari and Commodore) seems tighter. More playable and snappier somehow. There was an evolution of sorts going on (not as drastic as the N64 3D debacle) back in the late 80's/early 90's that left a bad taste in my mouth computer gaming wise. Sure, the Amiga has a lot of great games, but not enough of the older type classics as listed above. And the few decent ports that have been made  (Donkey Kong comes to mind) lack in gameplay and feel. Guess that's why we need to keep our 8-bits around! lol
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:16:17 PM by save2600 »

Offline kolla

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;510076
I think what OS 4.1 needs is not so much ports of the latest mainstream games but some fun unique modern games of it's own.

Moderns incarnations of old classics wold be cool, like rick dangerous
or cannon fodder with more modern graphics :laughing:
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »
Quote from: kolla;510197
Moderns incarnations of old classics wold be cool, like rick dangerous
or cannon fodder with more modern graphics :laughing:
There is a modern incarnation of an old AmigaOS1.2 game "Millenium 2.2" (spelling wrong on the game title when released for the original and I think the new version too), but it is only for Windows.  It was written in Blitz Basic for a coding competition by a pair of guys and is fantastic, but the judges silently accused the pair of cheating, because they did not believe it could have been done in the short three days allowed for the competition, so it did not win.  That pissed off the pair of coders so much, they have been slow to write any bug fixes, or improvements to is since it was first written, but I did find them and sent some correspondence back and forth to them trying to get the source code so I could port it back to the AmigaOS4.1 and MorphOS2.2.  They have not agreed to let me have the source, but I have hopes that they will relent and give it to me in the future, unless they go back to work on it and release it commercially.

It can be found as a free download, but I can't remember where I found it and I can't pass on the version I have on my hard drive, because the guys that wrote it did do a small bit of bug fixing on it after I wrote to them and they sent me a new .exe file to replace the one in the download and I had to promise them I would not share it with anyone.

I hope some of you can find it and enjoy the remake of Millenium 2.2, as it is a fine game with great graphics and animation sequences that will blow you away when you see them (compared to anything you have seen in an Amiga game in the past).
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline colin419Topic starter

• Show only replies by colin419
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »
I think what OS 4.1 needs is not so much ports of the latest mainstream games but some fun unique modern games of it's own.

dont get me wrong im all for new unique games for our beloved amiga, games that no other platform has but if people see these more modern games on the amiga and they see how good the OS is they just mite decide to come to the amiga side:)

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 06:37:07 PM »
Quote from: colin419;510051
I would love to see more modern games on amiga as im a game fan but also to show that the amiga can do it.

I'd love to see NEW "modern" games for the new AmigaOS 4.1 and hardware but I'm not interested in clones of PC games. I'd like to see some new fresh Amgia gamed dev bring some new games with the classic platform flair of the Amiga out. Some of the classics with modern graphics would be something I'd pay for. I'd even buy a Sam with OS 4.1 if there were even say 5 brand new Amiga style games with a modern flair.

That's just me - a lot of others have crossed over to just doing first person shooters and RPGs. I reallly like the old school platformers, etc.
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline orb85750

• Show only replies by orb85750
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »

Of course.  Amiga never got anywhere by playing copycat -- and it never will.  But given the enormous human resources that go into producing original "modern games" (many of which are less fun than classics, IMO), who is going to produce such a game for Amiga?  It would have to be either an act of charity or an act of love to do so.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 11:10:29 PM »
Everyone wants new games for their Amigas but no one wants to actually make them. Games don't just make themselves, and you're dreaming if you think big developers are going to make new games or port modern games to Amiga.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 12:16:04 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;510272
Everyone wants new games for their Amigas but no one wants to actually make them. Games don't just make themselves, and you're dreaming if you think big developers are going to make new games or port modern games to Amiga.

The closest we will see to that is Amiga-esque games on the 360, Wii and PS3 in the online shop.
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 03:32:23 AM »
you never know maybe hyperion will port some more games:)

Offline Hans_

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 05:41:19 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;510272

Speaking of which, how is your classic game project coming along?

Hans
http://hdrlab.org.nz/ - Amiga OS 4 projects, programming articles and more. Home of the RadeonHD driver for Amiga OS 4.x project.

Offline LoBai

• Show only replies by LoBai
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 06:29:59 AM »
I'm new to the Amiga but I know that new classic games are being created by users and such for classic consoles like the Vectrex etc... I have actually bought these carts and played them. I'm such a sad case:( lol

LoBai

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »
Quote from: LoBai;510312
I'm new to the Amiga but I know that new classic games are being created by users and such for classic consoles like the Vectrex etc... I have actually bought these carts and played them. I'm such a sad case:( lol

LoBai

Dont worry your not sad i had a vectrex it was a great system:)

Offline Arkhan

• Show only replies by Arkhan
    • http://www.aetherbyte.com
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
Quote from: LoBai;510312

LoBai

you're not a sad case!

I am only 21 and I program on Commodore 64s and stuff for fun, and buy homebrew stuff.

Quote from: save2600;510196
I agree. When I first caught the subject heading of this thread, I thought it would be nice if there were more ports of classic gaming to Amiga. Getting back into the 8-bit stuff (which I believe are some of the best games ever), I'd love to see Amiga ports of:

Montezuma's Revenge
Pinball Construction Set (EA was supposed to release this)
Conan
Miner 2049'er
Star League Baseball

...and any other 2D game that relied more on its gameplay than useless fancy visuals. I swear too that often times, the gameplay on 8-bit (Atari and Commodore) seems tighter. More playable and snappier somehow. There was an evolution of sorts going on (not as drastic as the N64 3D debacle) back in the late 80's/early 90's that left a bad taste in my mouth computer gaming wise. Sure, the Amiga has a lot of great games, but not enough of the older type classics as listed above. And the few decent ports that have been made (Donkey Kong comes to mind) lack in gameplay and feel. Guess that's why we need to keep our 8-bits around! lol

I am entertaining the idea of porting my PC Engine game to the Amiga when completed (Its a clone of Berzerk), but I'd first need to locate the proper Amiga libraries and stuff.  Im a total Amiga n00b, but if there are some C game libraries for the Amiga, it might be doable!

I could even put together MOD versions of the PSG music.

Im getting C programming setup on the AmiKit I setup.  I have an environment .hdf but id like to get GCC/stuff working in AmiKit instead of booting into a separate environment.

I think keeping games true to the system itself is alot cooler than back-porting newer games just to see...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:32:53 PM by Arkhan »
I am a negative, rude, prick.  

"Aetherbyte: My fledgling game studio!":  << Probably not coming to an Amiga near you because you all suck! :roflmao:

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »
I'd love to see Crusader no Remorse on the A500.
It should be possible, with a resolution like 320*200, and some loss of detail.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 10, 2009, 03:56:19 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;510106
I think I would rather just see more Amiga-style games.

The nice high res 2D stuff.

You cant get the atmosphere of Shadow of the Beast in 3D.
Well, maybe nowadays it can, with 3d engines which are capable of showing detailed sceneries in 3d (you know, used a lot with sandbox games)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'