Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: As bad days go, this is one!  (Read 525 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: As bad days go, this is one!
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 21, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »
Anything that has power running through it including the parallel port is what you have to be careful of.
Is it possible you could get an electrical build up because something has a poor connection to the chassis (which is acting as ground). Check that too.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline Plaz

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 01:08:56 AM »
Quote from: curtis;780335
You did forget one thing to watch out for.  Smells!

Ha, if you make it to smells you've likely already gone too far. :)
I keep fingers on the usual suspects. In this case the CIA's and 1488/1489 line driver ICs.
They'll usually fail in a short condition instead of an open. Rear right hand side of the 3000 if memory serves.
Hoping along with you that the power supply was the only casualty.

Plaz

Offline QuikSanz

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 01:48:59 AM »
We have a running joke at work. Electronic devices are packed with smoke at the factory, if you let the smoke out, it won't work anymore. Customers are not amused.

Offline curtisTopic starter

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
When I was in the Navy, I made quite a few log entries of "magic smoke" escaped!

My supervisor, as a rule, thought it was funny but reminded me to maintain accuracy in the log entries for future reference!  :)

Quote from: QuikSanz;780358
We have a running joke at work. Electronic devices are packed with smoke at the factory, if you let the smoke out, it won't work anymore. Customers are not amused.
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

Offline curtisTopic starter

• Show only replies by curtis
    • http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/curtismc
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 12:41:41 AM »
Finally got the 3000 back on the workbench (actual physical workbench!).

Plugged the amigakit adapter into the 24 pin plug from the power supply, plugged that into the motherboard.

Hooked up the power cord.

Crossed fingers.

Pushed the power button...

It came up to the "Insert disk" screen!!!!!  

IT WORKS!!!!!

Power down, pull power cord.

Clean up power supply installation in the old case (yes, it fits).  Desoldered a few unneeded lines.  Resoldered a few dodgy looking solder spots.

Also, the amigakit adapter had a power switch on it that I didn't need since I was able to transfer the original switch over, so I clipped it off and connected the 2 lines to maintain continuity.

Reinstall new power board in old power supply case.

Add a floppy drive and power on.  Yep!  Boot screen comes up.  Insert diskette and boots right up.

Add the hard drive with floppy still in drive and proceeded to format the hard drive and do a fresh install of 3.1.

Worked like a champ!

Popped floppy disk out and booted from the hard drive with no problems!

Only bump along the way was when I started, I didn't hear the fan running and the delay on boot screen was so long I thought it wasn't working.  Tried another power supply and it worked with the same delay so tried again.  Yep, the newly installed power supply is working.

As far as the fan, the thing is so stinking quiet I didn't hear it.  It's running in stealth mode!

As an added attraction, there is a 110/220V switch on the new power supply, so I clipped a small hole in the old power supply case and mounted that so this A3000 can now go both 110V or 220V!  Switch mounted right next to the power switch.

Life is good once again.

And, as good days go, this was one!  Except for th 2-3 inches of the crappy white stuff that fell today and kept the temp down around 10 degrees Fahrenheit!
Outside a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside a dog it\'s too dark to read! Groucho Marx

Curtis McCain

http://pages.suddenlink.net/curtismc/

Offline Plaz

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 01:37:10 AM »
Quote from: curtis;780782
IT WORKS!!!!!

Excellent! The universe has balanced itself once more. Those old PS caps just couldn't take the shock and was time for new.

Plaz

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 01:50:12 AM »
Quote from: Plaz;780787
Excellent! The universe has balanced itself once more. Those old PS caps just couldn't take the shock and was time for new.

Plaz

& another Amiga lives another day, love a happy ending:)
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel: