Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Heretic II , Problem!  (Read 4648 times)

Description:

Offline Rogue

• Show only replies by Rogue
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
Re: Heretic II , Problem!
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 13, 2003, 12:32:28 AM »
old simm's was 60ns also... , i might try it to make sure but hey that doesnt help me at all, as i am not going back :D

Speaking of 60ns, did you try setting them to 70ns? Are the SIMM's different size/models?
Look out, I\'ve got a gun

Offline lempkeeTopic starter

• Show only replies by lempkee
    • http://www.amigaguru.com
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2003, 12:39:54 AM »
no i didnt try setting at 70ns , because i got more mem to make it faster :D , anyway games collapsing at 60ns happened alot when i used some other simm's 12months or so ago...this doesnt happen now.

so i am pretty sure thats not it , and most of all remeber... i can start new game and make new SAVES! and load them as normal!

but not my saves from 128mb time ;( , really sad..

and ohboy!! its annoying! because this is the second time in the last 4 months ;(

i can send you my saves , maybe when i installed the new ram they somewhat got messed up?.

afaik its about 7 megs.. let me know if you want me to do that.

cheers and thanx for replying hans jøerg!
Whats up with all the hate!

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2003, 12:45:59 AM »
oops , i forgot.

yes simm's are diffrent , i had 2x64mb , now i have 2x128mb  , old ones was samsung 60ns , new ones are hp 60ns .

size is approx same and both attach fine to my board.

games like shogo/freespace/quake2 etc runs brilliantly with the mem and much faster than on 128mb :D , because of texture caches ofcourse..
(though its not many fps but its faster for sure)

also no options was changed in my settings on the bppc bootmenu , i changed nothing in the games either...just loaded it up...  and eventually (for the others) i pushed up the cache..

and i pushed up the cache in heretic 2 also (gl_texturecache xxxxxxxx) and that works fine if i start a new game and save...and load up the save.

old saves still doesnt work :D

pps: i back'd up my save games in a special drawer before i uninstalled it (heretic2) , installer asked if i wanted to keep my settings + save games...so i selected yes , found out saves didnt work (just got the wos exception) so i copied my back'd up ones into the dir and tried them...same error ;( .

hope this helps..

cheers

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2003, 12:47:12 AM »
pps: no need to delay os4 dev because of this prob in heretic2 for me.., but it would be nice if you took a look atleast.

if nothing is fixable or findable, well i will replay it while i wait for os4 :P

Offline Rogue

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2003, 12:48:26 AM »
i can send you my saves , maybe when i installed the new ram they somewhat got messed up?.

You can try, I don't know if my mail account can handle that, though. I think it is somewhere at 5 megabytes.

cheers and thanx for replying hans jøerg!

I wish I could help you., too...

Regards,

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2003, 01:23:23 AM »
@doommaster

DoomMaster wrote:
 What I said was that the Amiga 2000 Series is the highest quality, best made of all the Amiga models, and this is a fact.  It is not my opinion.

Yep, definately opinion....

Simply I think the Amiga 4000T is the best quality, best made computer.

I also stated that the Amiga 2000 is the Flagship Amiga computer because of its durability and expandability, and this is a fact.  It is not my opinion.  The Amiga 3000, 4000, and 1200 computers are more powerful then the Amiga 2000 Series, but they are low quality, poorly designed machines.

Yet..... Another opinion.  I think Amiga 4000 is better designed. Amiga 2000 is poor quality....

Whenever I need to use a fast, powerful computer, I always use my Pentium 4 PC Clone that I custom built.

Thats nice to know. I also make my own computers. So your not special.

Hah, this is too much fun. A dude out there is crazy about some Amiga 2000HD that is slower then slow itself.  His ultimate P4 "PC Clone" is god itself. How bout this one for size.  My friend has a P4 2.4ghz machine, a GeForce FX 5200, and 512mb of the RD-Ram.  I have a Athlon 1700+, 512mb of 2100 ram, and a Geforce 4 mx 440.......... Turns out mine pushed out more FPS on Quake III then his setup did.....

That dont matter. So you have anything else?
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline kd7ota

• Show only replies by kd7ota
    • http://www.qrz.com
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2003, 01:27:24 AM »
@doommaster

DoomMaster wrote:

I show the Amiga 2000 to the kids because it is the highest quality, best made Amiga and because it is the Flagship Amiga computer.  All of the Amiga 2000HD computers at the school ARE on the internet and are running at peak performance.  The kids just love these computers and tell me that they are much better then their mom and dad's PC computers at home.     :-D

Ahah! That is funny. I would love to surf the net with the professional 32colors you achieve on the video of an ECS or OCS chipset on the 2000.  I want to also listen to MP3s I download on it.... Oh wait...... Too slow.....

oh well, I am gonna stop writing all this stuff. I got Quake III to play. Later.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Mine!  :-D

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2003, 03:51:59 AM »
@Rogue,

Purely guessing here, but could there be any data in the saved game that is indirectly linked to the machine state, rather than something more obvious. Maybe some cacheing mechanisms hold more data in memory possibly affecting the ordering of tables and such?

Hmm, that does sound a bit like grasping at straws...

I wonder if it is a weird bug that was present in the original game and never weeded out?

(Trying vehemently to ignore Mr. Trollmaster...)

Yeah, he probably doesn't even know who you are ;-)
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2003, 03:57:09 AM »

DoomMaster wrote:

I show the Amiga 2000 to the kids because it is the highest quality, best made Amiga and because it is the Flagship Amiga computer.  All of the Amiga 2000HD computers at the school ARE on the internet and are running at peak performance.

Cool. All those 2060 68060 + SCSI-2 cards must have cost a bit then...

The kids just love these computers and tell me that they are much better then their mom and dad's PC computers at home.     :-D

Poor buggers. I came from a poor background too. Those Pee Cee 8086 XT based systems are pretty bad next to the 2000, for sure :lol:
int p; // A

Offline CU_AMiGA

• Show only replies by CU_AMiGA
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2003, 11:59:01 AM »
Okay so it is okay i get 256meg ram! Would it make any speed differences?

@DoomMaster

Go away old man! PLEASE!
A1200D / AGA / B1260 / 64MB RAM / KS 3.1 / AOS 3.9 / 4GB HD

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2003, 12:31:04 PM »
cu_amiga... ;( u dont read the posts...

anyway i allready told about the speed increase, it wont be much higher ofcourse..its just that you can cache alot more in ram (and thts a good thing)
also if you use SFS you can set MUCH high buffers :D , which means the whole system can e alot faster , sure you could do it with 128mb ram also , but heh not very wise if you want to play a game that require 100 mb or so with normal settings :D

beyond that....170mb is free here when i am not 1. games (3d)  , 2. internet (cache is to ram). 3. dooing 3d stuff.

and i havent been able to run out of memory yet :D

Offline CU_AMiGA

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2003, 12:39:38 PM »

lempkee wrote:
cu_amiga... ;( u dont read the posts...

anyway i allready told about the speed increase, it wont be much higher ofcourse..its just that you can cache alot more in ram (and thts a good thing)
also if you use SFS you can set MUCH high buffers :D , which means the whole system can e alot faster , sure you could do it with 128mb ram also , but heh not very wise if you want to play a game that require 100 mb or so with normal settings :D

beyond that....170mb is free here when i am not 1. games (3d)  , 2. internet (cache is to ram). 3. dooing 3d stuff.

and i havent been able to run out of memory yet :D

Its not that i don't read them, it just i dont get some of them. As i am no genious. Anyway, i will be getting the 2x128meg simms soon. :-)

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2003, 01:15:34 PM »
yeah i might babble too much :D

anyway the main thing is, games like quake1,2,heretic2,shogo,freespace is games that will run on 32mb and up , but that doesnt mean having 128 will make it perfect since your system might be like mine (a boot require like 50megs :D) , this is just stackattack/disk buffers etc so basically i could live without that but since i have an powerflyer i feel its really needed.

there is alot of ways to make your amiga faster and some can be a overkill and it also depends on your file system.

still confused ?.

Offline CU_AMiGA

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2003, 01:19:57 PM »

lempkee wrote:
yeah i might babble too much :D

anyway the main thing is, games like quake1,2,heretic2,shogo,freespace is games that will run on 32mb and up , but that doesnt mean having 128 will make it perfect since your system might be like mine (a boot require like 50megs :D) , this is just stackattack/disk buffers etc so basically i could live without that but since i have an powerflyer i feel its really needed.

there is alot of ways to make your amiga faster and some can be a overkill and it also depends on your file system.

still confused ?.

More than ever! I think i understand a little. Addbuffers, etc

Offline Rogue

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2003, 01:53:10 PM »
Purely guessing here, but could there be any data in the saved game that is indirectly linked to the machine state, rather than something more obvious. Maybe some cacheing mechanisms hold more data in memory possibly affecting the ordering of tables and such?

No, I don't think so. The problem is that (like Quake 2) there are function pointers which are saved based on the assumption that their virtual address will be the same whenever you load the game. In Quake2 we came up with a better solution by looking up the function it points to in the program's seglist and replacing the pointer with a seglist number/Offset pair. In H2, we used a table lookup for that (which can get quite large).

The original game had another twist - if you updated the gamex86.dll, it would cease to work with old saved games because of the reason outlined above.

Yeah, he probably doesn't even know who you are

That goes the other way, too - I don't even know who he is ;-)

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2003, 02:16:43 PM »
Yeah, he probably doesn't even know who you are

That goes the other way, too - I don't even know who he is

don't fear because he doesn't know who he is either :D  (doomy)