Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint  (Read 10385 times)

Description:

Online amigakitTopic starter

Re: A-EON Technology Acquires Personal Paint
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 10:04:27 PM »
@Gulliver

I think you missed the press release above:

The new Personal Paint 7.3 Classic (and PPC) version has the following features:-

● Works with the Classic AmigaOS and AmigaOS4.1 and and emulation under WinUAE and Amiga Forever
● Totally integrated with the AmigaOS Workbench
● Supports AmigaOS screen dragging
● Smoother interaction with the OS4 screen dragging system
● True colour animation frame thumbs in the StoryBoard window
● High resolution gadget imagery and thin borders style GUI option for a more modern look
● 9 new built in brush shapes
● 100 new Custom Brushes
● Pressure sensitive drawing
● Dithered transparency
● New Airbrush Linemode
● Extended paint functionality with image processing tool
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline TrevorDick

• Amiga Enthusiast
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by TrevorDick
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 10:29:41 PM »
Quote from: ral-clan;778403
Where can I find out more information about the the 7.3 version of Personal Paint for the Classic OS?

I searched online and could find no feature list, nor anywhere that sold it.  The Amistore software linked to on the A-EON site above can only be installed on OS4.

As already posted, 68K users will be able to purchase the latest 7.3 upgrade via Amistore. However, since AMIStore is not yet  available for Classic users we are arranging for AmigaKit to stock a new  retail version and we will make a Digital ADF Classic AmigaOS version  available on the Amistore website. (Details to be provided).

Earlier Classic versions of Personal Paint will be available to download  free of charge from the A-EON server.

TrevorD
Supporting all Amiga flavours

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 10:44:51 PM »
Is this better than Brilliance 2?

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 11:01:11 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;778418
@Gulliver

I think you missed the press release above:

The new Personal Paint 7.3 Classic (and PPC) version has the following features:-

● Works with the Classic AmigaOS and AmigaOS4.1 and and emulation under WinUAE and Amiga Forever
● Totally integrated with the AmigaOS Workbench
● Supports AmigaOS screen dragging
● Smoother interaction with the OS4 screen dragging system
● True colour animation frame thumbs in the StoryBoard window
● High resolution gadget imagery and thin borders style GUI option for a more modern look
● 9 new built in brush shapes
● 100 new Custom Brushes
● Pressure sensitive drawing
● Dithered transparency
● New Airbrush Linemode
● Extended paint functionality with image processing tool

Items 1 and 2 can hardly be considered a feature.
Item 4 is only applicable to OS4 not Classic

And then you have what can be considered features: Items 5-12

Is it worth the upgrade?
My point still stands :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:18:40 PM by Gulliver »

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 11:09:10 PM »
If you are user that extensively works with PPaint on a regular basis, then the drawing tablet support and 100x new brushes, new image processing tools, new GUI etc etc would all be most welcome.  It is subjective to the user.

From my point of view, as a Classic Amiga user, when an application that hasn't been updated in a decade has fresh development put into it, I welcome the investment.

Actions speak louder than words: lets see where A-EON goes with PPaint project  in the next year :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:11:42 PM by amigakit »

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 11:17:39 PM »
Quote from: amigakit;778423
If you are user that extensively works with PPaint on a regular basis, then the drawing tablet support and 100x new brushes, new image processing tools, new GUI etc etc would all be most welcome.  It is subjective to the user.

From my point of view, as a Classic Amiga user, when an application that hasn't been updated in a decade has fresh development put into it, I welcome the investment.

Actions speak louder than words: lets see where A-EON goes with PPaint project  in the next year :)

Fair enough. Lets wait and see :)

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 11:20:01 PM »
Can we make feature requests?

- onion-skin light table style animation editor (as in DPaint)
- ability to rotate and move animated brushes in Z-axis.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline spirantho

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 11:20:25 PM »
If I were a regular user of software, I'd much rather lose the ability to get it for free than have it stagnate and get old. I can't help but feel that if we want development of programs to continue or restart, we have to get rid of this "I want it but don't want to pay for it" psyche which seems so prevalent in Amiga circles these days.
I know it's nice to have free software, but I think it's nicer to have actively developed software at a small cost.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 11:50:32 PM »

If I were a regular user of software, I'd much rather lose the ability to get it for free than have it stagnate and get old.

this software is already old. adding some eye candy to it will not change this fact nor its value much.

can't help but feel that if we want development of programs to continue or restart, we have to get rid of this "I want it but don't want to pay for it" psyche which seems so prevalent in Amiga circles these days.

there is no user base to sustain commercial developments. i wonder what you are expecting the users to do, if you get rid of this what you call psyche and start charge users for what has previously been available for free..

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »
adding some eye candy to it will not change this fact nor its value much

The development put into PPaint is certainly not superficial or trivial.  The entire code had to be modernised to be recompiled which was a very large task before any of the new features were added.  This is just the start of development..

@ral-clan

Any feedback is most welcome for new features and suggestions for future development.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 02:25:07 AM »
Quote from: IanP;778399
A-EON seem to have their fingers in a lot of pies, hardware development, Amiga community websites and now application development. I wonder if they'll be contracting out future software development or doing it in-house, I suspect the former.

Is your statement above meant as a positive comment on their dedication to our community, or a negative accusation?  I can't tell, but since there are a few other negative comments in this thread, it makes your comment also appear as a negative commentary on their efforts.

Not everyone will agree with all of the decisions made by A-Eon, and they don't have to, but what I don't understand is any complaints about A-Eon's efforts and involvement in the community.  Even if you don't agree with some of their choices, I think that all users should appreciate the fact that A-Eon is trying to make our community better, by investing time and money in many different aspects of our community.

I happen to agree that the highest priority to keep our community alive is the need for more and better software, now that all 4 camps appear to have sufficient hardware choices to run which ever OS you prefer.  If people don't agree with A-Eon's choices to help spur new development, and support existing programmers, then I wish they would suggest productive alternatives, instead of just spewing out negative criticism all the time, with no ideas of their own on what would be a better way to help create new software, or support our existing programmers.

Your comment may be completely neutral and innocent.  Some of our other members can't claim neutrality or innocence for their obvious attempts to tear down, or attack the efforts of well meaning supporters of our community.  You don't have to agree with everything that anyone else does or proposes, but constructive criticism, or alternative productive suggestions are better, and actual actions to make things better are best.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline broadblues

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 02:38:56 AM »
Quote from: ral-clan;778425
Can we make feature requests?

- onion-skin light table style animation editor (as in DPaint)

Currently there is a storyboard feature, but not onion skinning but the mode promotion to 24bit opens up possibilities under AmigaOS4.

- ability to rotate and move animated brushes in Z-axis.

That one easier, this already exists.

Animbrushes can be rotated, and scaled (which is the 2D equivalent of Z axis motion).

There is a rexx script to handle animation a long pasth etc. which gives direct equivalents to some of the DPaint features people complain is missing.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 02:51:03 AM »
Exactly when will this be available? As long as it's not grossly expensive, I will support this, if I can buy it.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Minuous

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 03:22:29 AM »
>but what I don't understand is any complaints about A-Eon's efforts and involvement in the community.

If the new version is so much better as is claimed then the old version is no threat to it. Preemptively removing stuff from these archives without warning is disrespectful and disruptive to the community.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 08:36:57 PM by Minuous »

Offline trekiej

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 04:26:22 AM »
I feel we need to have some one to rally around.
I think it is worth the risk.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 28, 2014, 05:47:47 AM »
Quote from: Minuous;778434
however the rest of us have to suffer due to the insatiable greed of A-EON. I wish they would leave our Amiga community alone and go sell crap to Mac users instead [...] their nefarious destruction of the community I will be sure to pirate it instead now.

Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos