Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sholud something like this have been the Amiga's gaming future?  (Read 9084 times)

Description:

Offline KhephrenTopic starter

• Show only replies by Khephren
Re: Sholud something like this have been the Amiga's gaming future?
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 31, 2011, 03:49:22 PM »
Doom is the closest iv'e come across. But as I pointed out, they are each optimised for their platform :(   MIPS are not really all that valid between architectures. We could compare Archie games, but as most were ported from amiga CISC to Acorn RISC, that would be a bit unfair.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 06:27:52 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;626283
That's the only valid mips based post in the entire thread.
And, no, early (lower clocked) ARM processors did not outperform Motorola's later (higher clocked) 68K models.
Instead of raw benchmarks or mips figures you need to compare comparable software products running under an OS.

Nobody has claimed that early low clocked ARM CPUs would outperform later 68000 CPUs! ARM2 came out in 1986, around the same time as the 68030, so the fact that they perform similarly isn't shocking (although the ARM does it in a fraction of the transistor count).

There's 68000 MIPS and there's DMIPS which allows better comparison between architectures. I guess there's CoreMark too.

Not that it matters today.

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »
course it matters, most of us now own machines that are over 20 years old, but still love talking about this stuff ;)

Anyway, i don't think the original archie ARM2 was a match for an 030, if thats what your getting at :)

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »
While it's not a 3D polygon shaded game or anything of that ilk, The Settlers on the Amiga is a perfect example of what a well written and highly optimised machine specific piece of code can do... :)

Even on a basic 020 A1200 when you consider the amount of calculations going on, both onscreen and offscreen (up to 65535 characters/people per player) then it really goes to show just what a well written piece of code can achieve even on a lowly 020... :)

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 08:22:43 PM »
@Bloodline

Any chance of an Amiga version of Puny Humans? I know it's a touchscreen game but it could still work with a mouse.

If you don't have the time to DIY maybe someone else would be willing to port.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Hattig

• Show only replies by Hattig
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;626326
course it matters, most of us now own machines that are over 20 years old, but still love talking about this stuff ;)

Anyway, i don't think the original archie ARM2 was a match for an 030, if thats what your getting at :)

Heh, nope, not if it took a 12.5MHz ARM60 to match a ~25MHz 68030 ...

Maybe the 8MHz ARM2 would have matched the 16MHz 68030 crippled with 16-bit bus in the Atari Falcon! But really it was more like a ~20Mhz 68000.

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »
I had Super Stardust side by side on 120mhz Pentium and A1200 running side by sie, no difference. That was the most impressive difference I ever saw. Bit of lag if joystick used on P120 but same if keyboard was used so 133mhz Pentium.

Polygons in 64 or more colours however......

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2011, 10:03:02 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;626357
Maybe the 8MHz ARM2 would have matched the 16MHz 68030 crippled with 16-bit bus in the Atari Falcon!.

lol yeah, I like the falcon though. Borg that with an A1200, i'd have been happy!

I almost bought an Archie A3010 by mistake you know, thought it was an A1200 in the shop, only when he asked for £500 that I realised it wasn't the new A1200 :)

@Digiman
Yeah, we can use c2p we have to.  Lord Riton over at eab has got a HAM8 engine going, it's pretty nice. Doubt we'd need that many colours, i'm talking about plain polys after all. If we use shading, then maybe.

I got some feed back from the chaos engine game dev site (not as much as i would have liked):

"with a plain poly you can just write the same colour to each part of the scanline the poly covers. There are no calculations or lookups when writing a scanline and often depending on the raw bitplane formats you can write multiple pixels at once.

for gouraud shading you need to calculate the start and end colours for each scanline and interpolate between them, worst case is you lose the ability to write multiple pixels at once but depending on how much memory you have to play with you may be able to still do this.

for texture mapping you have to work out start and end pixels in the texture (these may not be on the same vertical or horizontal line) and then write these out to the correct scan line(s) with possibly variable scaling in the x. This can get nasty if you have polys which have too much throw in the z.

you're probably safe saying each is an order of magnitude slower than the last.
Also performance is dependant on poly size and small polys will look better than big ones."

Also:
 well I know *wink wink* that one of the coders in our demo group is working on a flatshade engine that'll run ~15,000 polys on 060. Without all the trimmings of a game, obviously (Loonies)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2011, 03:12:35 AM »
I see a lot of references to c2p use lately, but it's really not necessary, and Id suggest even counter productive for some stuff. Up to 32/64 colors , even using polygon based gfx can probably be made more efficient without it, even higher color depths in the right hands for the right type of softwre.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2011, 12:52:07 PM »
Yeah, if your doing a plain polygon racer, 32 or 64 would suffice. If your using vertex shading, then you would need a higher colour depth. I don't know what the performance hit is for conversion.

I guess for anything moving the screen as one entity, with a high bit depth, would benefit.
Anything in less colours, or scrolling, could be done with the normal hardware.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:56:09 PM by Khephren »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »
Iggy, you've lost me!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2011, 01:30:53 PM »
Quote from: Khephren;626518
Iggy, you've lost me!

The future! the future of rock and roll man? Bruce Springsteen.
He's f*cking it up. He's f*cking it all up.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"