Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best Amiga Handheld Experience  (Read 10632 times)

Description:

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Re: Best Amiga Handheld Experience
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 24, 2015, 11:36:05 PM »
Quote from: bon;791314
I am looking for a handheld device which can emulate Amiga Games nicely. I know of the Pandora, but it is extremely expensive, and apart from that, it is nowhere available to buy (at least in Europe). Anyone had experience on this? Can you suggest something?
I own both a Pandora and a GP2x Wiz and to be honest, though the Pandora has it's (serious) advantages, I prefer playing Amiga (and other emulation) games on my Wiz.
The tiny 4:3 oled screen displays the games really nicely. The colours are really on par with a 1084, though the only downside is the fact that it still is a 60 hz lcd screen; which means blurry moving images, and, with 50hz games, stuttering. The blurryness and stuttering also happens on your generic LCD screen. The 320x240 resolution will cut off a bit of PAL images, though not much, and the aspect ratio is intact.
So, the pictures are sharp, non-pixelated, pixel-perfect and the colours are not washed out like they are  on a standard TN lcd panel. Successors of the GP2x Wiz, like the Canoo and the GCW Zero, have generic lcd panels.

Considering the Pandora, it's a great hobby project for hobbyists like me. I've used it mainly for listening to music, and using the tools (like ssh) that come with linux. The Pandora saved me more than once at work, as I have it always with me and it has a seemingly endless battery life. But for emulation, the lcd is waaay too el-cheapo.

Perhaps your best bet is a gaming tablet with IPS display like an NVidia Shield, a GPD Q88, or a JXD 7800b.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:41:50 PM by Speelgoedmannetje »
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline F0LLETT

• Amigakit / A-EON Support
  • Administrator
    • Show only replies by F0LLETT
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 12:17:51 PM »
Quote from: som99;791325
You can get a PSP (phat old ones) super cheep and use CFW on it and use PSPUAE, long time since I tried it but that's handheld and it got a DPad + Buttons you need and you got a ton of other emulators and games.

Still have to release new version I have been working slowly on for the last 3 years.
Just need time to finish it off. Been working on getting HDD support working and fixing some old bugs.
Just got given a Vita, so hopefully soon, the SDK will be sorted and a native version of PSPUAE could be done.

Besides PSP, UAE4ALL2 on Android is best by far. Controls are ok, not sure why people moan unless your using a phone. On my nexus 7, it runs very well.
I run my custom 3.9 setup from my real amiga on it. Its like having my real amiga on the go.
Joymouse prog is best to use with, as then you dont have to mess with mouse.
I would also recommend "hackers keyboard" from playstore. It has all the odd keys, normal droid keyboard doesn't, meaning you can quit WHDLoad games without resetting / restarting emu.

If you get spashtop2HD setup on both your PC / LINUX machine, you can use your tablets / mobiles and run WinUAE on the go. I have done this many times while away from home. Have the perfect setup (CD32) just for tablet use.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:22:01 PM by F0LLETT »
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;791376
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing [with ourselves].” - George Bernard Shaw

:roflmao::roflmao::laughing::roflmao::laugh1:
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 11:37:41 AM »
Well this thread derailed as quickly as it started, :(.
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

"Chris is that you!!!"

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 06:42:26 PM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;791592
Still have to release new version I have been working slowly on for the last 3 years.
Just need time to finish it off. Been working on getting HDD support working and fixing some old bugs.
Just got given a Vita, so hopefully soon, the SDK will be sorted and a native version of PSPUAE could be done.

Besides PSP, UAE4ALL2 on Android is best by far. Controls are ok, not sure why people moan unless your using a phone. On my nexus 7, it runs very well.
I run my custom 3.9 setup from my real amiga on it. Its like having my real amiga on the go.
Joymouse prog is best to use with, as then you dont have to mess with mouse.
I would also recommend "hackers keyboard" from playstore. It has all the odd keys, normal droid keyboard doesn't, meaning you can quit WHDLoad games without resetting / restarting emu.

If you get spashtop2HD setup on both your PC / LINUX machine, you can use your tablets / mobiles and run WinUAE on the go. I have done this many times while away from home. Have the perfect setup (CD32) just for tablet use.

Thanks for the update on the PSPUAE status F0LLETT, a native version would rock!

Yeah the Android version is my second pick also, tho I prefere a Android handheld with physical buttons :)

Havn't tried remote desktop gaming but I remote connect to monitor my server every day :)

Offline F0LLETT

• Administrator
    • Ultimate Amiga
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2023, 05:21:11 PM »
I know this is an old topic, however so much has changed.

My go to for portable gaming (well perfect amiga emulation), is Steam Deck. Have it triple booting SteamOS, Windows 11 and Batocera.
However I just got a ASUS Rog Ally Z1 Extreme. All I can say is WoW!!!!. Awesome bit of kit. Havent played any PC games on it yet. First thing I setup was WinUAE.
The ASUS armory app is pretty good and works well. Auto switching between windows joypad mode and game joypad mode.

I still have a play with my day one PSP, Go and PSPUAE (every now and again). For me PSPGo screen is awesome.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 05:22:58 PM by F0LLETT »

"Chris is that you!!!"