Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: commodore amiga 2000  (Read 5780 times)

Description:

Offline Castellen

Re: commodore amiga 2000
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2002, 08:47:38 AM »
Yep. I'd also agree the big card sounds like a hard drive controller.

Not sure where to find the images you are are saying about, but the
smaller board with the wires going to it may be a ROM switcher, they
were pretty common.

Sounds like the computer is running through it's startup-sequence then
executes some password program.

Either edit the S:Startup-Sequence to make it not run the password
prog, or send me a copy of the Startup-Sequence and I'll do it for
you.

Anthony.

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2002, 09:04:29 AM »
Castellen wrote:

Either edit the S:Startup-Sequence to make it not run the password prog, or send me a copy of the Startup-Sequence and I'll do it for you.
:-D Or he could post it to the list and we can all chip in...

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2002, 09:36:19 AM »
Much appreciated to all...
I placed the photo at a Yahoo photo storage location.
http://photos.yahoo.com/topperyh
Take a look at that black jumper wire in the photo.
What about that ARexx reference in the boot screen?
Is this start-up sequence simply a text file?  I'll take a look. Tuesday or Wednesday I may be able look.  This guy is funny. He compares it to a government PC with similar protection, rendering it inaccessable. I told him its probably a piece of cake to someone in the know.
thanks again - Greg

Offline Lo

• Show only replies by Lo
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2002, 10:12:27 AM »
Or he could post it to the list and we can all chip in...

Yeah! Don't be embarrased, show us your panties!
Seriously, we can all learn this way?  :-D
[color=0000CC]GVP 060 @50 Pwr Twr [/color][color=FF0000]AMD_Amithlon_UAE[/color]

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2002, 10:52:34 AM »
;-) Okay, the red rectangle indicates the processor slot, so your card is probably an accelerator card with a built-in controller, which is almost certainly SCSI.  The card in the black rectangle and the wire soldered to one leg of the chip on the mother board looks to be a Chip RAM expansion set-up, which would give you two megabytes of Chip RAM instead of the default one megabyte.  Likely an earlier owner had this installed and sold it off separately, leaving the wire behind.

;-) And yes, the startup sequence is simply a text file called, appropriately enough, startup-sequence.  When AmigaOS starts up, it looks for a file with this name, in a directory called “s,” at the root level of whichever drive you’re booting from.

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2002, 11:54:18 AM »
I placed a photo of another MB with my markings at this url-
http://photos.yahoo.com/topperyh
My previous wordy msg may help. The yellow square is where a small card (not shown) lays flat and connected via a set of long pins. The yellow arrow is pointing to where these pins are connected, an empty chip slot. The black lead appears to be connected to the underside of the small card.
Greg

Offline Amigadude

• Show only replies by Amigadude
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2002, 01:58:06 PM »
Restart the machine and hold both mouse buttons down.  A grey screen should appear, press the 'Boot With No Startup-Sequence' button (bottom right)

When/if a '1> ' prompt appears type 'Ed s:startup-sequence' and write down what it says and post it here (or look for a obvious command like 'password')
Amigadude AKA JohnN

Apple is like God.... I  don't mind either, it's just their fan clubs that put me off

In order use preference:
A1200, PiStorm32 Lite, RPi3B+ & ne2000 networking
RPi400 running PiMiga3.0
CD32, TF328 & 8GB CF
A mac mini running MorphOS
A1200, Z4 tower, Buffered IDE, DVDRW & 8GB CF
A500
A500+ (Battery damaged)
A600
A1200 mobo (Dead, black screen)
2xCD32

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2002, 04:24:36 PM »

Amigadude wrote:
Restart the machine and hold both mouse buttons down.  A grey screen should appear, press the 'Boot With No Startup-Sequence' button (bottom right)

Ummm.... did Kickstart v37 have this early boot menu?
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2002, 12:28:49 AM »
I don't know how to post this message for everyone to read.  The owner of the password protected Amiga that I was trouble shooting said to me today that he didn't want me to go near his machine, and  that I was not qualified and may damage it and abandon it claiming it was already damaged.  I should have known that I was delving into the realm of the ridiculous with this guy.  I'm sorry that I wasted everyone's time.  I got a little angry and he likewise responded with the same.

On a more bizarre note - I'm employed at Lincoln High School in Jersey City, NJ.  A student shot another student today.  I've been on an unpaid leave from there since early September because I was assaulted and threatened to be shot by a student.  I refused to report to work and later had to submit to psychiatrc evaluation.  I kid you not!!!!    What a wonderful system we have.  I need a new profession. ( I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore Toto) Thanks for everything.  It was getting so
interesting.
Greg

Offline Amigadude

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2002, 09:18:09 AM »

Tickly wrote:
Ummm.... did Kickstart v37 have this early boot menu?

37 is KS2 IIRC & =>2 had the Early Startup
Amigadude AKA JohnN

Apple is like God.... I  don't mind either, it's just their fan clubs that put me off

In order use preference:
RPi400 running PiMiga3.0
CD32, TF328 & 8GB CF
A500
A500+ (Battery damaged)
A600
2xCD32

Offline xeron

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2002, 09:49:50 AM »

Amigadude wrote:
37 is KS2 IIRC & =>2 had the Early Startup

Yes, I know it had an early boot menu, but i don't think it had boot without startup-sequence.

Kickstart 2.04 details

Oh wait, I looked at my own link and yes it does.. but its different, you have to change the cycle menu to "disabled" (see the second boot menu pic).

Offline xeron

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2002, 10:00:35 AM »

topperam wrote:
The owner of the password protected Amiga that I was trouble shooting said to me today that he didn't want me to go near his machine, and  that I was not qualified and may damage it

Thats a shame. Fixing this sort of problem with Amigas really isn't hard, and I can tell you now that the password system was completely software and all you would have to do is delete a line (or a couple of lines) from a simple text file... Oh well, his loss. If he decides he can't fix it himself, try to obtain the Amiga for yourself :-)

I'm employed at Lincoln High School in Jersey City, NJ.  A student shot another student today.

Oh my god :-o Will the student be OK?

I've been on an unpaid leave from there since early September because I was assaulted and threatened to be shot by a student.  I refused to report to work and later had to submit to psychiatrc evaluation.  I kid you not!!!!

That is awful!  :-(

Offline Amigadude

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2002, 12:06:55 PM »

Tickly wrote:
Oh wait, I looked at my own link and yes it does.. but its different, you have to change the cycle menu to "disabled" (see the second boot menu pic).

Long time since I started the A500+ or A600...

BTW how is the file share thingy doing?
Amigadude AKA JohnN

In order use preference:
RPi400 running PiMiga3.0
CD32, TF328 & 8GB CF
A500
A500+ (Battery damaged)
A600
2xCD32

Offline xeron

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2002, 12:15:25 PM »

Amigadude wrote:
BTW how is the file share thingy doing?

Not touched it in months. Basically, I always have a bunch of projects on the go, and flick between them when I'm in the mood. Who knows if it'll be finished?

My current projects are:

1) videobrewery.com
2) Atari 7800 devkit for AmigaOS
3) Atari 7800 game using said Devkit
4) SuperTV
5) HauppaugeIR

With the following having no work done for the past few months, but actively intend to finish at some point:

BoingConnect (DC client, connects and others can get your files but you can't get theirs. The MUI gui looks quite nice though :)

Arcadia 2001 emulator (works, but not enough to play any games yet)

TitleShadow (some user suggestions need implementing, but I'm having trouble being arsed to do it. Basically hoping OS4 will make it obsolete :)

And 100s of other projects which i've not touched for years and will probably never finish.

« Reply #28 from previous page: October 31, 2002, 05:57:01 PM »
If he discards the Amiga, he'll probably do it in a way that I don't get my hands on it.  I would certainly like to have it.  He claims to have a nephew who can fix it.  Everybody has a nephew or an uncle or a brother or a sister or a.....   It's a pride thing??? Some people are like that.  I've written simple command lines in the past on my PC in the autoexec.bat and config.sys files, so I'm kinda capable with this sort of thing.  I'm no expert but...
The school thing... I failed to realize that the forum users here are from various parts of the world and that New York metropolitan news and events may not be known to everyone.  I'm so close, the World Trade Center towers loomed in the sky just across the river.
The student is in critical condition.  Yesterday, two students were caught bringing knifes into school.  It was described as an isolated incident by school officials?????  I would hate to be a victim of an isolated incident.
Greg