Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: OS4.1 Classic stability plummets with Update 5  (Read 10259 times)

Description:

Offline Matt_HTopic starter

OS4.1 Classic stability plummets with Update 5
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:41:27 PM »
Been playing around with 4.1 Classic as a mini project this weekend. Started from a fresh CD install (equivalent to update 2), applied updates 3 and 4, no problem. Once I installed Update 5, the stability of the system tanks. I managed to get Update 6 and all the AmiUpdate updates installed, and it's still crash-happy.

I think I've narrowed it down to a problem with ReAction, or whatever they're calling it these days. It seems to be the common factor in all the crashes. Scrolling, pressing buttons, changing tabs, opening windows, etc., all have a random chance of locking up the machine. Most crashes are accompanied/preceded by a few pixels of graphics corruption in the window at hand.

And yet I'm looking at the files installed with Update 5. There don't seem to be too many files related to ReAction in that update. SYS:Classes/table.image?

Anyone got any ideas? Or experienced similar? I'm not plugged in to the OS4 minicommunities, so I'm hoping someone else here might be able to share advice.

Thanks!

Offline LiveForIt

Re: OS4.1 Classic stability plummets with Update 5
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:02:06 AM »
Quote from: Matt_H;763774
Been playing around with 4.1 Classic as a mini project this weekend. Started from a fresh CD install (equivalent to update 2), applied updates 3 and 4, no problem. Once I installed Update 5, the stability of the system tanks. I managed to get Update 6 and all the AmiUpdate updates installed, and it's still crash-happy.

I think I've narrowed it down to a problem with ReAction, or whatever they're calling it these days. It seems to be the common factor in all the crashes. Scrolling, pressing buttons, changing tabs, opening windows, etc., all have a random chance of locking up the machine. Most crashes are accompanied/preceded by a few pixels of graphics corruption in the window at hand.

And yet I'm looking at the files installed with Update 5. There don't seem to be too many files related to ReAction in that update. SYS:Classes/table.image?

Anyone got any ideas? Or experienced similar? I'm not plugged in to the OS4 minicommunities, so I'm hoping someone else here might be able to share advice.

Thanks!

I have not read about any issues like this before, but anyway you might want to dig into the Hyperion support forum, maybe some one has reported some thing like it.

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=952eaf96ce98117cf62ae1c696688017

it might be that's not what you think problem is, maybe the graphic card driver.

Reaction classes should be the same for all computers, so its strange if this is what is making things crash.

Offline HammerD

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
Matt, sorry you are having issues.  As the previous poster pointed out, please post your issue on the Classic Support forums and developers and beta testers will do their best to assist.  Update 5 runs fine on my system(s) so I'm sure we can figure out what is causing your freezes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:01:12 AM by HammerD »
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline chris

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 12:59:18 PM »
Been playing around with 4.1 Classic as a mini project this weekend. Started from a fresh CD install (equivalent to update 2),

Isn't the fresh CD install only "update 1"?
"Miracles we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer" - AJS on Hyperion
Avatar picture is Tabitha by Eric W Schwartz

Offline Bennymee

• Show only replies by Bennymee
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
Quote from: chris;763797

My 4.1 Classic cd is update 2.
Amiga 500, 1200, 4000, Amigaone, Morphos, CyberstormPPC, Blizzardppc, OS4.x

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 03:43:29 AM »
Some new theories: system appears to be stable in 8bit screenmodes; 16bit or higher cause it to crash. I'm using a CVision3D. It looks like P96 was updated as part of Update 5 - perhaps a bug was introduced? ReAction is still the most common trigger, although I've had windows from some other programs (DOpus, MUI) also cause crashes. Never Workbench windows, though.

Sometimes I get a Guru screen (the traditional Software Failure red box, not the Grim Reaper) with error 80000002.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:47:20 AM by Matt_H »

Offline HammerD

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:00:07 AM »
Matt, it's certainly possible.  Can you try with another graphics card?
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline HammerD

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 04:01:21 AM »
Quote from: chris;763797

AmigaOS 4.1 Classic shipped with Update 2 integrated.

Offline Jeff

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Jeff
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 05:46:16 AM »
Do you have an old Picasso II you could try?

Offline gertsy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by gertsy
    • http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/~gbakker64/
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »

Thanks!

Matt, Your Avatar picture matches this sorry tale. You should sell your CyberVision to me so you can be hap again.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 02:11:34 PM »
Quote from: Matt_H;763849
Some new theories: system appears to be stable in 8bit screenmodes; 16bit or higher cause it to crash. I'm using a CVision3D. It looks like P96 was updated as part of Update 5 - perhaps a bug was introduced? ReAction is still the most common trigger, although I've had windows from some other programs (DOpus, MUI) also cause crashes. Never Workbench windows, though.

Sometimes I get a Guru screen (the traditional Software Failure red box, not the Grim Reaper) with error 80000002.

It might be worth trying just AGA/ECS screenmodes without the CV3D connected.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »
Update 5 has two issues:  the software boot is no longer "cold" -- reported.  And the update changes your kicklayout file.  It may have recognized you Amiga as having different hardware (discussed in forum) and requires a hand edit.  Most of the help in the forums comes from users of an A4000 and not A1200's and there seem to be some A1200 configuration issues.  However that is the best place to find answers.

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »

Thanks!

I'm running OS 4.1.6 on an A4000/CV3D. It's pretty stable till now, I'm posting this with the latest NetSurf release (v3.1, 25th April 2014)!
I've noticed certain lfreezes related to cold reboots (I have an ALGOR card loaded with certain modules, but are limited to 3.x ROMs).
One thing that might cause unpredictable freezes on classic might be the PPC-cooling. Be sure to have adequate airflow.
Maybe someone else with more experience on the topic, might shed a light on the problem...
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 11:03:58 PM »
There have been unpredictable warm & cold reboot issues with OS4.1.6+ that occur with both my A4000T and X1000, but I've seen nothing with the PPC cooling on my machines except when the CPU fan stopped secondary to obstruction; the heat sink by itself is inadequate.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 07:49:35 PM »
:bump:
Wow, time flies. Recently started playing with this again. I'm now using a fresh install of OS4 FE. Stability is fine under AGA screenmodes, but not under CV3D. New theory on source of instability is...

the bitmap font renderer!

Or some level of interaction between the font renderer and P96/CV3D. On my previous 4.1 install, I changed my system fonts to match what I use under 3.9: Helvetica and XEN. Now, I'm using the TrueType fonts that are configured by default (DejaVu Sans). Things seem stable until I do anything involving traditional Amiga bitmap fonts.
-Picking a bitmap font in an ASL font requester will usually lock the system
-Opening a program that uses bitmap fonts (Clock) will usually lock the system
-Working in DOpus 4 with its default config (which uses the Topaz bitmap font) will usually lock the system.

I'm guessing the reason my entire system was so unstable previously is because I used bitmap fonts _everywhere_. Now they're only in a few places so I'm starting to see a pattern emerge.

Ideas?

Thanks!