Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Only 3 more days  (Read 9712 times)

Description:

Offline Delta

• Show only replies by Delta
    • http://www.atelierdujeu.com
Re: Only 3 more days
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »
I agree with all the above about Linux and CUSA sell anything they want but I still think they should use another brand name.  Using the C= Amiga names is not appropriate for those products as they have nothing to do with it.
-=Delta

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 08:42:58 PM »
Hold on there, Tiger.  Let's not start giving revolutionary credit and praise to a company that's simply latched onto a Linux distro and spun it into a rebranded OS.

Praise Linux for what it is, but keep your tits in your shirt here in regards to this Vision OS - the C-USA boys haven't done anything other than customize a distro like any schlub in his basement could have done in a weekend.  Credit where credit is due, they are providing the product they promised and I do hope it fits the needs of their users.

They deserve no praise for freely making it available, they have to abide by GPL like anyone else.  We here at A.org could each go buy a case of beers this weekend and roll out our own A.org OS distro collectively.  The "Dancing Franko" screenblanker might take some time though.

As for the "the right way to do it" comment, what options were there?  Linux can be handed out willy nilly, tweaked to look as something fancy - FREE.  Include a handwritten sheet in the computer box that says "4 AN OS PLZ VISIT UBUNTU.COM & ASK THEM 2 MAIL U A DEE VEE DEE, THX!!" if you want.  From a support angle it's entirely sane, esp. for a new company that may not want to wrangle around with Microsoft.  let's just not give credit where credit is due and say Linux is their brainchild, ok?

I agree they were smart with going with Linux, leaving a MS OS up to the user, but the "right way to go" idea is silly.  Linux costs them nothing, that's why they went with it.  No cost to them, no obligation to support it.  Fanboys can develop linux themes and backdrops for zilch - you simply are not going to convince me they spent anything more than beer money on "customization", lol.  It is absolutely a brain dead process to roll your own customized Linux "distro", even without ever seeing a single line of source.

The option was selling the machines with a Windows OEM/VLK tag, and that would a have severely effected their profits.  FREE vs. $50, minimum?  Can't say I wouldn't have done any different, but then again I also wouldn't have done the marketing hype of trying to pass a Linux distro off as a new OS.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:21:54 PM by Duce »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 08:44:25 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;666995

4) Compiz - Its just nice, say what you want but it beats screen dragging.
And once you start working in 3d you will never want to stay in flatland. Its literally a whole new dimension for the way you want to work.

I use a 12 sided cube myself. I have a browser on one side of my cube, facebook open on one,gimp always open in one side, my email program in another, word processing in one, a system management screen in one with monitors, 3 game screens, blender in one, audio editing in another,
and finally, a screen left for anything else I may load.

All those programs are instanly accessable and ready to work at all times....Multitasked beautifully.

Do you get headaches? I tried using the cube with 4 or 5 sides and after 20 minutes i had a migraine. It's a good gimmick but not really useful or productive. I just use the sideways scrolling instead. Much nicer.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 08:45:45 PM »
Quote from: Duce;666998
Hold on there, Tiger.

Let's not start giving revolutionary credit and praise to a company that's simply latched onto a Linux distro and spun it into a rebranded OS.

Praise Linux for what it is, but keep your tits in your shirt here in regards to this Vision OS - the C-USA boys haven't done anything other than customize a distro like any schlub in his basement could have done in a weekend.

They deserve no praise for freely making it available, they have to abide by GPL like anyone else.

But they have an advert!
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 09:10:41 PM »
Quote from: Duce;666998
Hold on there, Tiger.

Let's not start giving revolutionary credit and praise to a company that's simply latched onto a Linux distro and spun it into a rebranded OS.

Praise Linux for what it is, but keep your tits in your shirt here in regards to this Vision OS - the C-USA boys haven't done anything other than customize a distro like any schlub in his basement could have done in a weekend.

They deserve no praise for freely making it available, they have to abide by GPL like anyone else.
^ This. I'm down with Linux (in fact, I'm finally abandoning XP for it, now I've got it running on the Powerbook,) but CUSA have done approximately what I, personally, could have done in the same time frame just dicking around in GIMP and playing with GTK themes. I've got mine looking like Mac OS 9 using themes I grabbed from gnome-look.org, does that make it a Mac? No, of course not. Yet CUSA still haven't stopped tooting their own horn incessantly about this revolutionary new...re-skinning of Ubuntu. CONGRATULATIONS, BARRY, YOU'VE ACCOMPLISHED EXACTLY WHAT THOUSANDS OF NERDS DO IN ANY GIVEN WEEK OF THEIR FREE TIME. WE TREMBLE AND DAMPEN OUR COLLECTIVE PANTIES AT YOUR 1337 5K1LLZ.

And while there's plenty of arguments to be made in favor of Linux, to say that it outperforms any of the NG Amiga OSes is kind of missing the point, in my opinion. Yes, you can run it on newer, mightier hardware, and you can more easily obtain modern software for it. On the other hand, it's nothing all that interesting or exciting; it's just  a Unixoid environment tweaked for desktop use to varying degrees. It works, and it generally works well, but it's not something that intrigues me on its own merits, as the Amiga OS and its assorted derivatives do. I think there's always going to be a place for niche OSes with interesting designs, even if they never catch up to mainstream platforms by general market standards.

4) Compiz - Its just nice, say what you want but it beats screen dragging.
And once you start working in 3d you will never want to stay in  flatland. Its literally a whole new dimension for the way you want to  work.

I use a 12 sided cube myself. I have a browser on one side of my cube,  facebook open on one,gimp always open in one side, my email program in  another, word processing in one, a system management screen in one with  monitors, 3 game screens, blender in one, audio editing in another,
and finally, a screen left for anything else I may load.
Actually? No. "3D" desktop environments disgust me. They're a waste of resources and provide no usability benefit over standard workspace-switching (indeed, considering the extra switching time, I'd say they're less usable.) Bleargh.

(Now, hardware-accelerated compositing window managers in general? Terrific idea, nicely-executed. I just don't need no damn cube-mapping.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:14:59 PM by commodorejohn »
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 09:15:20 PM »
I personally like UN*X systems (MacOS, Linux, BSD) but I see no reason to call them Commodore or Amiga.  They are what they are and they ain't what they ain't and they ain't "Amiga."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline brownb2

• Show only replies by brownb2
    • http://www.silentdevelopment.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
I am SURE there are more reasons why commodore USA is right on this move even if amigans won't admit it,
Steven

+1
It doesn't matter anymore whether this stuff is pure blood. Perhaps it mattered 10 years ago but now the Amiga is a relic and can't compete even with mobile phones and extending an old architecture isn't going to cut it. These days anything that will kick start the company(ies) cash flow again is the right move, things change, time to move on. Gateway, Escom etc. weren't good companies but people got behind them even when they had no idea what they were doing, it's time to show some blind faith again.
A600 (3.48/4.46 MIPS) - 2MB Chip, 4MB PCMCIA, 11MB Fast, ACA-620 OC 680EC20@16.67/25MHz, RTC, 512MB CF HD, WB 2.1
A1200 (7.36 MIPS) - 2MB Chip 8MB Fast, MTEC Viper 68030@42MHz MMU, 68882 FPU, RTC, 1GB CF HD, T.Turbo 2, 2 Ext. Floppies, WB 3.0.
Atari 520 STFM - 1MB, Multiface ST.
Commodore 16 - 64K Mod, SD2IEC Drive
Commodore 64C - 64K, SD2IEC Drive
ZX Spectrum 48K Rubber Key - 48K, Composite Mod
ZX Spectrum +2B - 128KB
ZX Spectrum +3 - 128KB, DivIDE+ 64MB CF HD, Multiface 3.

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
Quote from: brownb2;667006
It doesn't matter anymore whether this stuff is pure blood. Perhaps it mattered 10 years ago but now the Amiga is a relic and can't compete even with mobile phones and extending an old architecture isn't going to cut it. These days anything that will kick start the company(ies) cash flow again is the right move, things change, time to move on. Gateway, Escom etc. weren't good companies but people got behind them even when they had no idea what they were doing, it's time to show some blind faith again.
God, no. Giving the benefit of the doubt to an unproven company would be one thing. But placing your trust in a guy who's proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that he's just another (funny word from "Pippa Passes") interested only in milking cash out of deluded retro enthusiasts and beating his chest to the community he's said he doesn't give a damn about? That's just stupid.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 09:40:50 PM »
I can't believe I am going to write a postive commodore USA post but I am...

I am SURE there are more reasons why commodore USA is right on this move even if amigans won't admit it, but these are the first I thought of.

Steven

Sadly, because we all know the facts of Linux (and some of use it) on x86 and AmigaNGs. To get that right: if this was kind of lower specs mass produced shipped with Ubuntu thing to get the cheap and usable x86 systems (like e.g. one laptop per child project was) would be first to go for it. If it was a push for more indivdiuals and companies to use Linux, too.

But to abuse Commodore and Amiga name, history and OS values, to sell higher priced x86 computers with changed Linux is an equal insult to AmigaOS AND LINUX
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline tone007

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 09:41:50 PM »
Complete nonsense that won't matter in 2 weeks, not that it matters now.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline brownb2

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 09:42:11 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;667007
milking cash out of deluded retro enthusiasts

What's wrong with that? Apple have deluded fans, Sony have fanbois, football fans are often deluded...
A600 (3.48/4.46 MIPS) - 2MB Chip, 4MB PCMCIA, 11MB Fast, ACA-620 OC 680EC20@16.67/25MHz, RTC, 512MB CF HD, WB 2.1
A1200 (7.36 MIPS) - 2MB Chip 8MB Fast, MTEC Viper 68030@42MHz MMU, 68882 FPU, RTC, 1GB CF HD, T.Turbo 2, 2 Ext. Floppies, WB 3.0.
ZX Spectrum +2B - 128KB

Offline vox

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;666943
CUSA. I can take them or leave them, mostly I like how they irritate certain people in the OS4 community. But wow, for somebody to feel so threatened by CUSA that they put the domain into the site censor list is really pathetic. Seriously, this is one of the saddest things I've ever seen on any site, ever.

Very good defence mechanism against their constant idea to promote themselves as "Commodore" and "Amiga"
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline commodorejohn

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »
Quote from: brownb2;667017
What's wrong with that? Apple have deluded fans, Sony have fanbois, football fans are often deluded...
Yes, and...? It's entirely true that there are other companies that make their money primarily by exploiting blind brand loyalty. I don't like them either. The only reason I don't say much to that effect is because their CEOs haven't shown up here to post news about how they totally tweaked Ubuntu to look kind of like AOS4 and demand our adulation for this incredible feat.

Offline brownb2

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;667019
Yes, and...?
As you've noted it's a good business model.
I don't like Steve Jobs, I dislike his brainwashed fanatics and products but kudos to Apple for clearly getting it right.

Quote from: commodorejohn;667019
their CEOs haven't shown up here to post news about how they totally tweaked Ubuntu to look kind of like AOS4 and demand our adulation for this incredible feat.
Judge the company and the products, not the CEO. OSX is just Linux, Android is just Linux, IE is just Mosaic, a number of car makes have Volkswagen engines... it's certainly not something to get pissy about and needs to be put in perspective.
ZX Spectrum +2B - 128KB

Offline vox

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
Quote from: brownb2;667024
As you've noted it's a good business model.
I don't like Steve Jobs, I dislike his brainwashed fanatics and products but kudos to Apple for clearly getting it right.

Judge the company and the products, not the CEO. OSX is just Linux, Android is just Linux, IE is just Mosaic, a number of car makes have Volkswagen engines... it's certainly not something to get pissy about and needs to be put in perspective.

So far CUSA produced poorely cooled C64x case for $350

Other "inventions" are all 3rd party (Ubuntu, generic x86 boards)

About COS when its out

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 08, 2011, 10:12:24 PM »
yawn... to all point... yawn...
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner