Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: apple great desing  (Read 10501 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: apple great desing
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 03:48:48 AM »
Quote from: Duce;708283
Apple Corps (The Beatles label) sued Apple Computers, Apple Computers did not sue The Beatles/Apple Corps. First suit was in 1978. Apple Corps sued Apple Computers several times over the years, with one or two settlements in there from Apple Computers.

Apple can be chastised and berated for a lot of things, but the statements above simply aren't factual, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corps_v_Apple_Computer

I stand quite corrected. Thank you (great use of reference material - btw).

As to tablet design (not phones), many elements go back (once again) to PARC designs which could not be relized at the times.

Apple strip mines other company's ideas.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 04:01:03 AM »
I don't deny that Apple borrow ideas from other companies but it is important to note that the definition of innovaton means value must be added to existing resources already available in the economy. Sure, mp3 players have been around for while but what made the ipod different was that it had increased in value at the end of the transformation phase. In other words, it made a profit which other mp3 players before it failed to do.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 05:04:24 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;708289
..it had increased in value at the end of the transformation phase.

You sound like one of my economics professors, Kesa.

Can you tell me exactly what makes the iPod stand out above all other mp3 players? I've never owned one and can't really see any unusual features except for iTunes.

In which case, its the marketing model, not the device that has added value (uh, I went to school too).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 05:27:35 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;708292

Can you tell me exactly what makes the iPod stand out above all other mp3 players? I've never owned one and can't really see any unusual features except for iTunes.

In which case, its the marketing model, not the device that has added value (uh, I went to school too).

When MP3 players came out, the Ipod was crap but the competition was ****e? :)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 05:57:42 AM »
Quote from: runequester;708293

Actually, isn't it facinating that they've managed to convince us to pay for a reduced quality format?

Man we must be stupid.

But, then, many of us keep buying Apple products.

I actually have some music stored on one of my players in .wav format (doesn't take up that much extra space).

Offline Iggy

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 06:01:01 AM »
****e? :)

btw - what the heck does that mean?

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 06:56:32 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;708292

HAHA! I actually majored in economics at uni. So i have all the concepts still running around in my head.

I too have never used an ipod because i always thought they were over priced compared to everything else. Besides i already had one. The ipod is no different to any other mp3 player but what made it different was the way you uploaded files onto it. My Rio Diamond pmp300 came with software that turned out to be only a trial to see if you like it. They actually expected you to spend money on something you already owned just so you can use it proper! The software was crap anyway. Wankers...

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 07:23:31 AM »

The first generation iPod actually is the best of all MP3-Players ever released! It even outshines todays offerings from any company. It had only 4 flaws:
1) It wasn't designed for heavy duty outdoor use, like offroad biking
2) It wouldn't fit your entire music library
3) It was formatted in HFS+
4) It was expensive - like crazy!

It had the perfect user interface. Did its job well and was open to be used as a harddrive. It was small enough to be taken everywhere. The battery would last through an entire multi-volume audiobook and then some.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:27:43 AM by lsmart »

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 08:44:06 AM »
The absolutely terrible software offerings of the non Apple MP3 players doomed them.  You were lucky if you could even get music onto your brand new MP3 player in those days once you got it home.  There was really no diskmode, just a janky trialware SW app that rarely worked.  I owned a Creative Nomad 20 GB model before iTunes came out for the PC, and while it was a great MP3 player, the software made it nearly unusable.  I spent $100 on third party apps to get my music onto the damned thing and it was still like jumping through rings of fire.

They were beyond crap, and I assure you, the first version of iTunes itself was pretty crappy and it was stunning compared to the competition.

Was always curious what would have happened if Jobs had got his way and had kept iTunes Mac only for longer than it was.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
Quote from: Duce;708308

Was always curious what would have happened if Jobs had got his way and had kept iTunes Mac only for longer than it was.

Why would he want that?

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »
It's quite well known Jobs fought the Windows version of iTunes tooth and nail.

His theory was that the iPod was so great and since it was Mac only for quite a long time, both products would feed the larger Apple machine.

If people lusted after the iPod, they would in turn purchase a Mac just in order to own an iPod.  In the Jobs bio, sounds like he clued in eventually and realized that the single digit market shares the Mac has/had was not going to suddenly balloon to 90% market share just because their MP3 player was so much better that the competitions.

I tried every MP3 player under the sun, and found all the software that came with them to be complete crap.  That still wasn't enough to make me want to buy a Mac just so I could own an iPod, but I did pick up an iPod once the Windows version of iTunes launched.

I've got a lot of gripes about the way Apple has always done business, but it simply cannot be underestimated how great of a solution the iPod and iTunes combo was when it hit Windows vs. the other products.  It was just so, so much better, warts and all.  Only other MP3 player I even liked remotely as much as the iPod/iTunes combo was the second gen Zune, and unfortunately the one I bought died about 8 weeks after I bought it and MS refused to warranty it, despite the fact the hard disk in it outright packed it in due to no fault of my own :/

I still however despise the locked down, walled garden iTunes ecosystem.
I recently got a Galaxy S3, and went to transfer all my old iPhone media to it, only to find that all my purchased books were entirely DRM'ed from Apple.  Ended up torrenting un-DRM'ed versions just to be able to use them on the Android device, which was inconvenient and I shouldn't have to be forced to essentially steal things I already paid for once.

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 12:06:55 PM »
Apple just plain old SUCKS. Hope they rot in hell.

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 12:42:31 PM »
Quote from: Thorham;708322
Apple just plain old SUCKS. Hope they rot in hell.

Yeah, in a way Apple is just like Microsoft, they just don' t care about anyone who is not them and consequently alienate everyone who is not a diehard supporter.

The sad thing is, when you looked at Apple at the end of the Gil Amelio aera, you'd think they changed for the better. But Apple is still a hardware company who just happens to make their own software, because they are not satisfied with anybopdy elses. They wholeheartedly take the money from their customers, but they don' t expect them to use the computer for anything clever or original.

Offline toRus

• Show only replies by toRus
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 01:10:14 PM »
I confess that I am less anti-Apple than I am anti-Microsoft, anti-Intel, anti-Samsung, anti-HTC, and a whole bunch of other lame companies. Their fanboys do not understand that copycat also means that you rely on others to innovate in products and marketing, then rely on others' success to promote their lame unoriginal product portfolio. There is no denying that Apple is good at marketing but they do make innovative advances on the ideas they "borrow". Lesser companies would either use their monopolistic power to enforce crap products to customers (like M$ has mostly done) or wait for companies like Apple to "come" with an idea, spend lots of money on R&D AND marketing on it because they believe it is good and THEN try to steal from the already successful model (like Samsung does).

Nevertheless, I will always be an Amigan first so I do not really care if all of these companies including Apple rot in hell. But I can understand an Amiga user/enthusiast that now uses Apple products, what I don't understand is Amiga users bashing everyone when in fact they have using Wintel computers as their machines for more than 10 years now while there were clearly better alternatives elsewhere.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 01:49:39 PM »
Quote from: toRus;708337
...what I don't understand is Amiga users bashing everyone when in fact they have using Wintel computers as their machines for more than 10 years now while there were clearly better alternatives elsewhere.

I have a Windows install for gaming, because like it or not, that's what it excels at. The rest of the time that I use x86, I do do so with linux.
int p; // A

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 16, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;708299
btw - what the heck does that mean?

Shi'ite?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.