Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Apple News: They made $4bn profit  (Read 5305 times)

Description:

Offline ElPolloDiablTopic starter

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Apple News: They made $4bn profit
« Reply #44 from previous page: October 24, 2010, 08:19:27 AM »
Quote from: runequester;586625
Having a job where I have the misfortune of occasionally having to teach basic computer tasks to people who have no idea about computers, the notion that windows is somehow "intuitive" is hogwash.
People use "intuitive" when they should have said "what I am used to"

Amiga and 68k MacOS is intuitive. I've seen people who have never used a computer before get the hang of it in around a minute. My cousin who is actually quite thick had no trouble remembering amigados commands and any other tinkering, but gave up on computers (meaning PC) when the playstation 2 came out.
I found Windows 95 simple enough to pick up after only knowing how to use a dos based directory manager.
Use to be that you could learn the basics without ever consulting a book or guide.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;586629
Amiga and 68k MacOS is intuitive. I've seen people who have never used a computer before get the hang of it in around a minute. My cousin who is actually quite thick had no trouble remembering amigados commands and any other tinkering, but gave up on computers (meaning PC) when the playstation 2 came out.
I found Windows 95 simple enough to pick up after only knowing how to use a dos based directory manager.
Use to be that you could learn the basics without ever consulting a book or guide.

My theory is this:

Some people "get" computers. They can find their way around most systems without too much fuss.

Some people don't "get" it. They can memorize how to use specific systems and where to click on a specific screen, but they'll always need help or new directions even for a slight change.

Some people of course may "get" everything but a given system, and some may never "get" it except for a given system that just somehow makes sense to them.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2010, 04:41:06 PM »
@kedawa

And that's what makes the whole "user friendliness" argument impossible to resolve.  Most GUIs are user friendly but they take their own approach at things.  If you fight that approach then the OS seems non-user friendly, if you go along with it then it is user friendly...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2010, 05:04:33 PM »
Quote from: runequester;586630

Some people of course may "get" everything but a given system

You must be talking about me and Windows. I always use Windows like I knew it for less than a year, while I have to use it since 1995. All other OSs just seem fine.

That doesn´t mean I like everything about Mainframes, Mac OS, Java or Linux, but at least I understand why it is the way it is.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2010, 05:05:31 PM »
Quote from: lsmart;586722
You must be talking about me and Windows. I always use Windows like I knew it for less than a year, while I have to use it since 1995. All other OSs just seem fine.

That doesn´t mean I like everything about Mainframes, Mac OS, Java or Linux, but at least I understand why it is the way it is.

right :) Sometimes a given system just won't make sense, and sometimes everything BUT a given system makes no sense at all!