Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Workbench Disk Sets... What Would Be The Best Way To Obtain Them...  (Read 48113 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
As it turned out, this thread was a waste of time... :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:53:41 AM by Franko »

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
I hate to cross-post, but here's my suggestion from one of the other threads:

Now, here's a question for CLOANTO if they're readying this thread. Why not update their distributions and include the following and make everyone happy (and boost their sales):

#1: An easy way to use Amiga Explorer to transfer a version of the WB3.x environment from the PC to a real Amiga via a serial cable.

#2: An easy way to make a boot floppy from an ADF that will allow a real Amiga to install their WB3.x environment from their CD.

#3: HDF images of their WB3.x environment which can be used on UAE and also happen to work on FPGA type "Amigas" such as the FPGA Arcade or a 68000 friendly version for the Minimig v1.1.

If we had something like that then nobody would need pirate disks and they could use Amiga Forever on real Amigas with ease.

Come on Cloanto, can you do it and if not, why not?
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
The best way to get them is to buy Amiga Forever, the ultimate Amiga Virtual Machine. Cloanto has different prices to meet everyone's budget.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline antonvaltaz

• Show only replies by antonvaltaz
Not really though... Amiga Forever only includes complete ADF sets for Workbench 3.1 and 1.3. For the other versions it only includes the initial 'Workbench' ADF, not Extras, Locale etc.

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
Quote from: Transition;635586
The best way to get them is to buy Amiga Forever, the ultimate Amiga Virtual Machine. Cloanto has different prices to meet everyone's budget.

If you know the Cloanto guys then can you ask them about having HDF images and a version of their WB3.x that will run on real Amigas?  After all, they don't have to advertise them as "for real Amigas" because they can market them as "for use in UAE configurations" (I create my Minimig HDFs on AmigaForever and I've made one for the FPGA Arcade too).
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline kolla

I vaguely remember something about Cloanto only have license for use with emulator.
I have no idea from whom they've gotten their licenses for lately though, like for the 3.X stuff where they have an 3.9-ish kickstart file.
B5D6A1D019D5D45BCC56F4782AC220D8B3E2A6CC
---
A3000/060CSPPC+CVPPC/128MB + 256MB BigRAM/Deneb USB
A4000/CS060/Mediator4000Di/Voodoo5/128MB
A1200/Blz1260/IndyAGA/192MB
A1200/Blz1260/64MB
A1200/Blz1230III/32MB
A1200/ACA1221
A600/V600v2/Subway USB
A600/Apollo630/32MB
A600/A6095
CD32/SX32/32MB/Plipbox
CD32/TF328
A500/V500v2
A500/MTec520
CDTV
MiSTer, MiST, FleaFPGAs and original Minimig
Peg1, SAM440 and Mac minis with MorphOS

Offline LordSpunky

• Show only replies by LordSpunky
    • http://www.tristancobb.co.uk
Quote from: Transition;635586
Amiga Forever is okay.......but come on....why so much product placement?
I just want new copies of Workbench, and it doesn't work fully on my Mac so it isn't ideal for everyone!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Main Two Systems:
Commodore Amiga 4000D - 3.1 ROM\'s / Workbench 3.1/5/9 / 2MB ChipRAM / 16MB FastRAM / Cyberstorm2 68040 @40MHz, 128MB FastRAM / Picasso MKIV / 4GB CF-IDE HDD / X-Surf 100 & RapidRoad / CD-ROM
Amiga Inc. Amiga 1200 - 3.1 ROM\'s / Workbench 3.1 / 2MB ChipRAM / 8MB FastRAM / 4GB CF-IDE HDD

Commodore
Pet 4016-N / C-VIC20 x3 / C-64 x3 / C-64C x3 / C128 x2 / C16 / C-Plus/4
Commodore Amiga
A1000 / A500 x5 / A500 Plus / A600 x5 / A1200 x4 / A1500 x2 / CD32 / CDTV

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Quote from: Darrin;635595
If you know the Cloanto guys then can you ask them about having HDF images and a version of their WB3.x that will run on real Amigas?  After all, they don't have to advertise them as "for real Amigas" because they can market them as "for use in UAE configurations" (I create my Minimig HDFs on AmigaForever and I've made one for the FPGA Arcade too).
How did you get on trying AROS68k?

Offline AmigaHeretic

• Show only replies by AmigaHeretic
Quote from: Franko;635581
Hopefully this can be a sensible discussion on peoples ideas & thoughts on how to make it simple and easy for folk to get hold of Workbench Disk Sets either free or paid for without us all fighting with each other about the legalities of copyright etc... and descending in silly name calling and all that malarky... :)

There was a post to Petro Tyschtschenko's facebook.  http://de-de.facebook.com/people/Petro-T-Tyschtschenko/1365691299

I have messaged him a few times and he has stated 3.1 and prior was released back around '96 for "free distribution".  He said it was known back then that the OS was released on cover disks and made available for anyone and everyone.  I have asked if either he would himself or at least allow for permission to put the disks on Aminet. I guess we will see.

I asked if he had any documents as well.  I mentioned the readme on the cover disks which predates Amiga Inc. and Cloanto.  (I didn't mention AI or Cloanto), and if there was any similar documentation from back then.  

Seems pretty clear the the OS was available for free distro before AI came along. Hell, I even have the CD with the complete Workbench 3.0 disk set on it and the readme myself from Petro saying it's been released free.  This is ridiculous!
A3000D (16mhz, 2MB Chip, 4MB Fast, SCSI (300+MB), SuperGen Genlock, Kick 3.1)
Back in my day, we didn\'t have water. We only had Oxygen and Hydrogen, and we\'d just have to shove them together.

Offline amigakit

We are expecting more NOS AmigaOS 3.1 Disk Sets due in the next two weeks if this helps.   These were manufactured by Amiga Technologies.
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Forcie

• Show only replies by Forcie
Re: Workbench Disk Sets... What Would Be The Best Way To Obtain Them...
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »
The situation is actually worse than you guys describe it. The ROM:s and Workbench disks provided in the Amiga Forever package are licensed for emulation purposes only and according to Cloanto you are not allowed to use them in real Amigas.

Source:
http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-145

This leaves the few vendors still selling physical ROM:s and WB floppy disks as the sole legit way of getting hold of them. Truly ridiculous.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 11:11:08 AM »
Quote from: Forcie;635616
This leaves the few vendors still selling physical ROM:s and WB floppy disks as the sole legit way of getting hold of them. Truly ridiculous.

And there is no guarantee that what they are selling is legitimate.

Maybe it's because I bought the 3.1 upgrade for my a500 when it came out & I bought an Amiga Technologies 1200 that came with 3.1 that I don't see this as a huge issue. Also by allowing someone to legally produce new disks it will actually decrease the value of my property.

What is ridiculous is that nobody wants to pirate the disks, but they don't want to spend money on them either. If I offered my 3.1 upgrade for the price I paid plus inflation then I don't think I'd get any offers, but that is what it basically cost me.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 11:16:08 AM »
@psxphill

I can assure you that the Workbench disks and ROMs we sell are legitimate and genuine.  Our ROMs are Mask ROMs, not EEPROMs which we have paid significant costs to obtain this surplus stock:
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline nicholas

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 11:23:20 AM »
I bought OS3.9 from Vesalia in 2004 and it is a CDR with a printed label.

Same goes for my Developer CD too, but I can't remember which retailer I bought it from.

Edit:

Correction, the OS3.9 CD is a genuine CD, it's the dev cd which is a CDR.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:37:43 AM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
My os3.9 cd was a genuine CD, so was my dev cd
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"