Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A project I'd like to see from Jens...  (Read 12847 times)

Description:

Offline amigakit

Re: A project I'd like to see from Jens...
« Reply #149 from previous page: November 25, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »
Chameleon is already stand alone...
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »
...And I think the small yellow case is nice.  Granted it in only VGA output, but a VGA to HDMI converter only runs in the $20 USD range.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2014, 12:13:10 AM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;769519
Then it properly wouldn't fit (not with the planned extra board), I have to check my CDTV (with Carl Sassenrath goodies) when I get chance, maybe the week end.

Give me the full specs height wise and I will measure it. Be nice to upgrade this CDTV as I can't play any WHDload stuff on it, :(. Just gives blank screen.
Being able to upgrade it to AGA would be just WoW!!!.

2cm is probably going to be too high to fit into the CDTV case without modification (cutting a hole in the top case), which I really don't want to do.

Too bad, as I was hoping to put one of these Phoenix accelerators into my CDTV, but maybe we can talk Gunnar and team into designing a low height version just for CDTV owners some time in the future, when they have made tons of money selling the first Phoenix accelerators for A500 & A2000 owners, since the A500 is obviously the most common Amiga ever made (or was it the A1200?).

Personally I would love to see a complete CDTV replacement motherboard with a standard CD/DVD drive & controller (Read & Write capable), instead of the propietary CD drive and controller Commodore used.  The CDTV is a cool looking case and with the right replacement motherboard and drive mechanism, could be a fantastic retro Amiga system.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2014, 10:06:32 PM »
I'd like to see Jen's build a Lunar mission (to make up for Apollo 13) based on an ARM CPU that emulates the whole thing in a FPGA while proving that the Nobel prize winning Compton Scattering Effect can coexist with the  Bernoulli's principle in micro-gravity, with HDMI output.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »
Or, we could just get realistic.

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2014, 11:06:51 AM »
Quote from: danbeaver;778240
...And I think the small yellow case is nice.  Granted it in only VGA output, but a VGA to HDMI converter only runs in the $20 USD range.

That wouldn't work. For HDMI@50hz to work on a PAL TV, the source has to be digital, not converted from VGA.

Offline Everblue

• Show only replies by Everblue
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2014, 11:07:57 AM »
Quote from: amigakit;778220
Chameleon is already stand alone...

What I mean is that it is a complete board in a box, not a C64 cartridge that connects to a dock. Also, USB support for controllers would be nice too.

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »
Quote from: danbeaver;778332
Or, we could just get realistic.

What is realistic or not for a hobbyist to accomplish using an FPGA of sufficient size and speed, plus all the work that has been done since Dennis of MiniMig fame showed us that it was possible to create a very compatible Amiga clone, added to the ease of creating custom cases with a 3D printer, has changed drastically over the last few years.

Most ideas are not cost effective for production and sale to other people, but so much more is possible for an Amiga hobbyist to do for just themselves, if they don't mind spending the time and money to make almost anything they want.

Definitely a very interesting time to be an Amiga enthusiast, no matter what part of our community you prefer, or are interested in using and supporting.  It is a real credit to how inspiring the original design(s) were 30 years ago.  I hope that everyone of us will participate in the 30th Anniversary of the 1985 release of the Amiga next July and celebrate all that has been accomplished, and what continues to be worked on and improved, after all of the failures and let downs we have suffered.  I hope that at least some computer media outlets will take notice and give the Amiga some credit for all of it's innovations, and all of the people who it has inspired over the last 30 years.

More news about a planned event & banquet dinner for next July will be released, when we have the details worked out.  Events are also planned in Germany (and I hope other countries around the world), so if you can't attend the banquet dinner and museum event in Mountain View, California next July, I hope you will be able to attend a 30th Anniversary event closer to where ever you live.  :)
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2014, 08:53:32 PM »
Well, you can live in a fantasy world (say hello to the unicorns), or live in the real one.  When you talk with Jens (who live is the real world with red & black ink in his ledgers), he thinks about practical products and then plans them over years before they go into production.  Each of his decisions are calculated and involve the risks of economic success or failure.

Go ahead, he answers his email and posts on EAB.